Author Topic: Symmetry Issues  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Ambush

• Never Give Up
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 200
Symmetry Issues
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
I took this recent back pic a little while ago

It is not quite as bad as it looks in the picture due to the fact that you can see my right arm is higher than my left plus the light on the left arm versus the shadows on the right arm, but still my right arm is bigger than my left. Right now in my routine I am not doing any exercises that single out one arm at  a time (dumbbell curls, kick backs, etc..). Except for shoulders which I use dumbbells right now, then seated overhead press on the smith machine.

My bicep routine is straight bar (oly bar) bicep curls, ez-bar curls, and finishing off with 10 reps on cable straight bar curls running up and down the stack as quickly as I can. Triceps I do 4 sets of weighted dips, close grip bench, and push downs, OR over head dumbbell press. I don't want to "push" harder on the left than normal while connected to a bar because I feel like this would lead to a twisted uneven press usually.

I guess the best thing to do to catch up the left arm would be to throw in a set or two of dumbbell curls for biceps, or kick backs for the triceps? That's what I am thinking anyways, anyone have any better ideas or been through this before? If so how did you work it out?
I am my own hero.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: Symmetry Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
I have the same problem.

Right now in my routine I am not doing any exercises that single out one arm at  a time (dumbbell curls, kick backs, etc..). Except for shoulders which I use dumbbells right now, then seated overhead press on the smith machine.

My bicep routine is straight bar (oly bar) bicep curls, ez-bar curls, and finishing off with 10 reps on cable straight bar curls running up and down the stack as quickly as I can. Triceps I do 4 sets of weighted dips, close grip bench, and push downs, OR over head dumbbell press. I don't want to "push" harder on the left than normal while connected to a bar because I feel like this would lead to a twisted uneven press usually.

But I would say your dominant side is pushing harder, you just don't realize it. By doing more work with each side independently, you would eliminate the strong side taking up a greater load, don't you think?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Ambush

• Never Give Up
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:03:38 PM »
Yes I suppose so. I change my routines up and restructure them about every 3 to 4 months. Right now I am trying to put on more size and strength by using the bar for most everything, and not so much isolation exercises. I have been focusing on pushing more evenly on the left, and thats the thing, I want to push evenly not harder to one side.

Your'e right though, I obviously have been pushing harder on my dominant side, and need to focus more too even that out. I hate the idea of going to more isolation type exercises during this cycle though...ugh.
I am my own hero.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »
You can lift heavy with dumbells and gain size, you listed arm moves and my arms respond well to DB work. I won't give up my close grip bench presses though. Here's my imbalance awhile back:

:o :-\
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Ambush

• Never Give Up
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
You can lift heavy with dumbells and gain size, you listed arm moves and my arms respond well to DB work. I won't give up my close grip bench presses though. Here's my imbalance awhile back:

:o :-\

Always nice to know your'e not the only one lol, thanks. Ya I suppose I will focus to push more evenly (been doing that since I took the picture and realized it), and take out one bar exercise for arms and use dumbbells instead. Maybe do a couple extra reps to the left til it evens out. I agree with you too, I won't give up my close grip bench presses for tri's I love em too much right now!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:17:20 PM by Ambush »
I am my own hero.

Offline IronCharles

• Do you even lift?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
My right tricep has always been bigger, from years of swinging a hammer. I have to do single arm exercises at times to get my left tri closer in size and strength. Doing DB's for chest definitely helps.

Offline Slow_Progress

• 925 3 lift combo...not sure what my goal is now.
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 185.0
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
My journal has some progress pics, all of them remind me of Quasimoto when I look at them with any degree of scrutiny.  I say lift heavy, focus on making the barbell your bitch, let the symmetry sort itself out over the long run, lol.
Optimus est non satis

Offline Simp

• Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 150
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
It's been said, but if you want to be symmetrical, you're going to have to hit the DBs and hit them hard.

Offline hochspeyer

• Desert Shield/Storm and Psychic Wars Veteran
    • A homegrown DBA exploring #notsobigdata
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 244
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
I have the same problem.

Right now in my routine I am not doing any exercises that single out one arm at  a time (dumbbell curls, kick backs, etc..). Except for shoulders which I use dumbbells right now, then seated overhead press on the smith machine.

But I would say your dominant side is pushing harder, you just don't realize it. By doing more work with each side independently, you would eliminate the strong side taking up a greater load, don't you think?
Good point about the dominant side, Bando, but it puzzles me, as I'm pretty much a lefty, but (at least on the bench) my left arm is always struggling to keep up with the right (and its my right shoulder that is injured). Any thoughts?
Rep 9 crew
Visit bb.com to see my signature telling you to visit the Iron-Sanctuary forums :ninja: