Author Topic: Clean and Jerk  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Gnomusmaximus

• Height: short
  • Weight: more than I should
Clean and Jerk
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »
Got this response from Jim Schmitz (former US Olympic coach) on another forum.  My question was whether it was better to learn the C&J as seperate moves or together as one lift.....Thought Bando might like it:
Andrew, I teach the clean and jerk separately, first I have the lifter learn the power clean from the thighs, then from the knees, then from the floor, this might take one workout or several, be patient, don't move on to the knees until you feel good about the power clean from the thighs, and the same from the knees before you lift from the floor. The next exercise I teach is the clean grip dead lift & shrug & go up on your toes (triple extension). The next exercise is the Push Press from the clavicles and deltoids, this is done by bending your knees slightly and extending them as you push the weight over your head directly over your ears. After you have learned the push press we advance to the Push or Power Jerk, that is where you bend the legs slightly and extend them pushing the barbell over your head, as the bar clears your head you re-bend the knees catching the barbell directly over your head and ears an the knees are slightly bent, then you stand up. After you have learned the push jerk you are ready for the split jerk, where you dip, drive and split your legs fore and aft, that is one leg goes forward 6 to 12 inches and the other leg goes backward 18 to 24 inches, then with the barbell locked out directly over your ears you bring your feet back in line. The next exercise you need to do is the front squat. You should probably spend about four weeks on the above exercises before you do the squat clean, but you would learn that the same way as the power clean, first learn from the thighs, then the knees, and then from the floor. When you feel good about the squat clean you are ready to do the clean and jerk. I hope this makes sense and is helpful. For more information you can google Olympic Coaching Tips by Jim Schmitz, buy from IronMind my training manual and dvd for beginners and read my training articles on IronMind.com or my articles in MILO Magazine. I think the clean and jerk is the greatest exercise ever invented so take your time and learn it correctly. Good Luck and Good Lifting!

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: Clean and Jerk
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »
Got this response from Jim Schmitz (former US Olympic coach) on another forum.  My question was whether it was better to learn the C&J as seperate moves or together as one lift.....Thought Bando might like it:
Andrew, I teach the clean and jerk separately, first I have the lifter learn the power clean from the thighs, then from the knees, then from the floor, this might take one workout or several, be patient, don't move on to the knees until you feel good about the power clean from the thighs, and the same from the knees before you lift from the floor. The next exercise I teach is the clean grip dead lift & shrug & go up on your toes (triple extension). The next exercise is the Push Press from the clavicles and deltoids, this is done by bending your knees slightly and extending them as you push the weight over your head directly over your ears. After you have learned the push press we advance to the Push or Power Jerk, that is where you bend the legs slightly and extend them pushing the barbell over your head, as the bar clears your head you re-bend the knees catching the barbell directly over your head and ears an the knees are slightly bent, then you stand up. After you have learned the push jerk you are ready for the split jerk, where you dip, drive and split your legs fore and aft, that is one leg goes forward 6 to 12 inches and the other leg goes backward 18 to 24 inches, then with the barbell locked out directly over your ears you bring your feet back in line. The next exercise you need to do is the front squat. You should probably spend about four weeks on the above exercises before you do the squat clean, but you would learn that the same way as the power clean, first learn from the thighs, then the knees, and then from the floor. When you feel good about the squat clean you are ready to do the clean and jerk. I hope this makes sense and is helpful. For more information you can google Olympic Coaching Tips by Jim Schmitz, buy from IronMind my training manual and dvd for beginners and read my training articles on IronMind.com or my articles in MILO Magazine. I think the clean and jerk is the greatest exercise ever invented so take your time and learn it correctly. Good Luck and Good Lifting!

holy cow, quite the answer! Just about the order I learned the lifts.

My trainer was surprised at how quickly I picked the lifts up, but I had been overhead and front squatting for over a year at that point. That made all the difference.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?