Author Topic: Powerlifting Meet Strategy  (Read 2040 times)

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
Powerlifting Meet Strategy
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
Not that there's anything much more difficult that, "Move that Heavy Weight", but this is more in picking my openers and attempts.

Current Noob strategy says: for an opener, pick something you can triple.  Laymans terms, pick a light weight, that you could rep three times in the gym. 
For a second attempt, pick something you're confident on and are 90% certain you can hit.
For a Final attempt, pick a weight that's on the upper reaches of where you think you can hit. 
This strategy decreases the chance that you will miss a lift.

In the three events that I've done, I've only missed one lift.  First PL meet, I went 8/9 on my lifts, and set 2 personal records (bench/squat).  Second PL Meet, I went 9/9, and set two personal records (bench/squat).  At my last Meet, I went 6/6 and set two personal records (bench/deadlift). 

I've seen many lifters, usually in the heavier/pro class fail out on third attempts.  As I pondered that, I realized that they know what they can hit at the outset.  They go 100% at each lift, relying on force of will to get to the heavier weight.  Less concerned with bombing out, and they're always aiming for a bigger goal.  Which is a different strategy than the Noob one above.

In this strategy, it's more direct and less guessing.  For instance, I know that in October, I'm going to bench at least 275.  I've managed it at this past meet, which, given good training for three months, I should do again.  So, do I open with that, and reserve my second and third attempt for 285 and 300?  Both of which would be personal records.  Or do I start with 260, which I know, 100%, I can lift, and reserve my follow-ups for 280, 300?

Sam can be said of Squat and Deadlift.  Open my squat at 425 (-5lbs PR), second attempt at 435 and the 450 (both new PR's). Or play safe and go for a 410 opener, a 430 to match my PR, and then 450 for a new PR.

TL;DR
Powerlifting meet strategy:
Hit an easy opener, solid second attempt, and possible PR on 3rd.
or
Hit opener at near PR, Second attempt at new PR, and Third attempt go big?

I'm treading into unknown territory here, and looking for others input and thoughts on how they'd approach it.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: Powerlifting Meet Strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »
I've never been in a PL meet, but maybe I can relate a little.

I train for races as a way to keep fat off and on race day I always say "slow and steady." But then the gun goes off and I find myself running faster than I can maintain. But it's a race and walking is not an option. I've got people passing me and I LOVE passing people, so I never slow up. In the end I sprint the last 1/8th of a mile and am always surprised at my time.

So what I'm saying is that competition brings out the very best in people, so go heavy and don't look back. If you don't have a decent number failed attempts on your record, how can you be truly sure you gave it everything you had?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
Thanks Bando.

That's what my thought process was reaching towards, I just had to put it down and see what the answers might be.  I met with a notable powerlifter this weekend and asked his thoughts on it, and he said that my weight choices were too low.  His approach (having been a competitor for 25+ years, as well as a USPL judge & Chairman), is that my second lift should be the important lift.  If I make it, I can add 10-15lbs and go for a big number.  If I miss, I have one more shot at it.

He also told me that to improve my bench, my pecs are the least of my worries.  I need to work the assitance muscles more than my pecs. Shoulders, Triceps, and Back.  Also, I need to do more Board work, with 2-4" boards, and it would benefit me to start working with a Bench shirt. His words were "If you want to bench 400 raw, you need to be working 500 shirted.  Not that I'll ever bench 400, my goal is 3 plates.

So, now it's time to find a lifting partner...
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Thanks Bando.

That's what my thought process was reaching towards, I just had to put it down and see what the answers might be.  I met with a notable powerlifter this weekend and asked his thoughts on it, and he said that my weight choices were too low.  His approach (having been a competitor for 25+ years, as well as a USPL judge & Chairman), is that my second lift should be the important lift.  If I make it, I can add 10-15lbs and go for a big number.  If I miss, I have one more shot at it.

He also told me that to improve my bench, my pecs are the least of my worries.  I need to work the assitance muscles more than my pecs. Shoulders, Triceps, and Back and Forearms.  Also, I need to do more Board work, with 2-4" boards, and it would benefit me to start working with a Bench shirt. His words were "If you want to bench 400 raw, you need to be working 500 shirted.  Not that I'll ever bench 400, my goal is 3 plates.

So, now it's time to find a lifting partner...

Not a noteable powerlifter but when started training forearms my bench went up nearly 10lbs.

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline drarmament

• Height: 5'8"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
My goal is in november to do a powerlifting meet, It will be my first time and my goal is to lift BP-240 DL-405 SQ-385. Anything above that is going to be bonus points. I don't care about anyone but me because thats who you are competing against

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
My goal is in november to do a powerlifting meet, It will be my first time and my goal is to lift BP-240 DL-405 SQ-385. Anything above that is going to be bonus points. I don't care about anyone but me because thats who you are competing against

what are your #'s right now?

We're the same weight, but I cant squat anywhere near 385.

DIEL?

Offline drarmament

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:20:54 AM »

what are your #'s right now?

We're the same weight, but I cant squat anywhere near 385.

I'm Squating 335, right now. My bench is 225 and DL 365. My legs has always been my strengh, its my upper that is weak for me. I had to stop training for a while, early this year since I tore my Oblique muscle. I tore my Oblique trying to squat 405. On the 3rd rep I reach failure and as a dummy instead of dropping the weight I tried to muscle it up. I'm better now, but I have taken out abs day. I will just do planks for ab development

I started to incorperate bands and chains into my training. I'm on the 3 week of DE training and at the end I will do a month of Max effort lifting, I rotate this type of training.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:45:59 AM by drarmament »

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »
Excellent plan.  November is a ways off, but it gets here fast.  Are you competing Raw? Make sure you spend some time reviewing the rules and regs of the federation, as well as conduct during the meet.  Know what you can lift in, and be mentally ready for it.

If you're competing in November, have you pick a Meet yet? or are you hoping to narrow it down as you get closer?

Going into the meet, especially your first one, don't stress about the minutia.  Just listen to the announcer, know the rules, and hit your lifts. 

There's a wealth of info on the web about your first meet, additionally I'll help with any questions you might have.

Offline drarmament

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
Excellent plan.  November is a ways off, but it gets here fast.  Are you competing Raw? Make sure you spend some time reviewing the rules and regs of the federation, as well as conduct during the meet.  Know what you can lift in, and be mentally ready for it.

If you're competing in November, have you pick a Meet yet? or are you hoping to narrow it down as you get closer?

Going into the meet, especially your first one, don't stress about the minutia.  Just listen to the announcer, know the rules, and hit your lifts. 

There's a wealth of info on the web about your first meet, additionally I'll help with any questions you might have.

I'm looking at doing the Kansas regional in Salina, KS on the 24 of Nov. Its a NASA event and I have been reading has much as I can. I'm doing all the events raw.
http://www.nasa-sports.com/

Thanks

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »
if I didn't squat like a little girl I would look at competing one day.

DIEL?

Offline drarmament

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

Its really about competing against yourself

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »

Its really about competing against yourself

for you maybe.

DIEL?

Offline Getsum

• 198 or bust
  • Height: 5' 7"
  • Weight: 220
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »
Interesting insights.

This is what I'm thinking, it's basically the strat my older brother used. It's the same for all 3 lifts.

1st attempt - A weight I can easily double

if this gets me on the board then

2nd attempt - My current max for the lift

Depending on how this goes

3rd attempt - will be either be a redo of a "no lift" or it'll be a new PR attempt and only going up a couple pounds depending on the shim plates available, I have 1.25# plates at home so I'm used to going up 2.5# total but a lot meets have the even smaller ones for a 1# total increase.

Warmups are another area of concern, normally on a true max day, I'll do something like 135x5, 225x3, 275x1, 315x1, then go for the PR. That's fairly low volume and normally keeps me fresh. What are you guys doing for warmups?
Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

Starting Weight: 12-30-12 226#

2012 Max Lifts: 335B, 400S, 445D - Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfhwJR-OOyI

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
"In" out of general interest :D