Author Topic: Routine Change  (Read 131 times)

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
  • Height: 5'10
  • Weight: 257
Routine Change
« on: June 22, 2020, 06:39:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I posted last.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I have been doing the same variant of a push/pull split with legs each day (hams one, quads the other).  6 Day program.  I am getting a bit bored and was thinking of trying something new.  I am trying to trim down (I seem to bulk pretty well on my cuts- unintentionally).  Anyway I like pre-programmed routines (with some flexibility anyway) and was looking for something 3-5 days a week.  Anyone have a favorite program they tried, or something they enjoyed at least?

Thanks and hope everyone is well. 

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Routine Change
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:35:30 PM »
Funny you should post this as I am looking to do the same; slim down and get away from powerlifting and back to bodybuilding.

When I did bodybuilding my go-to 5 day routine was always:

Chest & Back (Chest first)
Legs (Squats first)
Shoulders & Arms
Back & Chest (Back First)
Legs (Leg Press First)

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 10:57:55 PM »
Funny you should post this as I am looking to do the same; slim down and get away from powerlifting and back to bodybuilding.

Legs (Squats first)
Shoulders & Arms
Legs (Leg Press First)

I have a good program in Excel, can run it on your phone. Just put in your 1RM's and it tells you what to do every workout. It's kinda heavy on pullups but I guess you could switch in lat pulls. Not for beginners and the workouts are close to an hour. Will blow you up in a hurry if you're sleeping and eating properly.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »

Legs (Squats first)
Shoulders & Arms
Legs (Leg Press First)

I noticed you were trying to trim down a bit.  How is that going.  Cutting is not my strong suit, but I am getting to old to be carrying around the extra belly.  You find anything yet?

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »

Legs (Squats first)
Shoulders & Arms
Legs (Leg Press First)

I have a good program in Excel, can run it on your phone. Just put in your 1RM's and it tells you what to do every workout. It's kinda heavy on pullups but I guess you could switch in lat pulls. Not for beginners and the workouts are close to an hour. Will blow you up in a hurry if you're sleeping and eating properly.
. Can I give it a go?  How would I go about getting it?

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 11:38:39 PM »

[/quote]

I emailed it from my phone to my computer and will attach it. It's got my numbers now but you can just put yours in. If you have any elbow issues at all I would strongly suggest not doing any variation of pullups after bench, can do cable lat pulls fine if you go slow and controlled.

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
Thank you sir.  I will give this a try.  I am looking forward to something new.  I will have to swap the back squat for either Zercher (sp) squats or Leg Press due to back issues.  Do you think if I did alternate day three and just did deadlifts that it would be that big of a deal?  Since the pandemic, I was able to slowly add those back into my routine (I don't have a rack so everything at home has been ground up) and I am enjoying the lift.  Thanks again. 

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »

I emailed it from my phone to my computer and will attach it. It's got my numbers now but you can just put yours in. If you have any elbow issues at all I would strongly suggest not doing any variation of pullups after bench, can do cable lat pulls fine if you go slow and controlled.
[/quote]

Just on more question.  I am a bit dense-  On the program inputs at the top the long blue and green line- In blue it says Bench WM, Squat WM (what does WM stand for?  I see where it is ORM in pink and understand that.   Also do you put maxes in the green section for curls and pullus and what-not?

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
WM = Working Max, this was in the email when the guys sent me the program:

Before you test your one-rep maxes, you should be certain your lifting form is correct to avoid injuries. Use Youtube and Google so you have an idea of what the exercise is, but it is PARAMOUNT that your form is good. The biggest cue for squat is to ensure you're hitting depth, and that your spine is neutral. For deadlift, ensure your spine is neutral and that you are not rounding your back. For bench press, ensure there is no bouncing the weight off the chest, and make sure the weight IS touching your chest. If you want, you can do a 2-second paused bench, but it is up to you.

After your form is good, it is time to start using the program. Test your one-rep maxes, and input it into the very top. It should fill in your working maxes. Everything that is filled in by this calculation is in blue.

(Alternative to testing your one-rep max, you can test your two-rep or three-rep maxes, then using an online one-rep max calculator to estimate. We wouldn't recommend using a number higher than your five-rep max to estimate it, as it tends to become pretty inaccurate after that).

Each 1+ set, you will test to see if you will increase in weight. If you get 2 reps, you will increase your working max by 5 pounds. If you get 4 reps, you will increase it by 10 pounds. If you get 6 or more reps, you will increase it by 15 pounds.

For the parts in green, you will have to manually increase your working sets at your own pace. Start with a weight that is easy (but not too easy). I recommend increasing it if you succeed twice in a row (once it gets challenging)
___
Remember, this isn't a program made for other people; it is simply the program we are currently using that aligns with our goals and weakpoints. For accessories, feel free to choose anything that will address your specific goals (if you want to build your core faster, add more ab workouts; if you want to build your calves, add calve raises, etc).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:24:04 PM by Bando »

DIEL?

Offline Philosopherking

• Still working.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 05:46:46 PM »
Thank you sir.  I will try this program next.