Author Topic: Hypertrophy  (Read 295 times)

Online DrManhattan

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 225
Hypertrophy
« on: August 01, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »
What has personally worked best for you for hypertrophy....
volume training?
Heavy weight, short reps ?
Lighter weight,  more reps?
Slow and controlled? Fast and controlled?
Sets over 10 reps...?
Etc. Etc .

Just picking brains here..

Offline tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
Re: Hypertrophy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
"If it burns, it grows"  That's an Arnold quote, but sums it up.  "Real" hypertrophy work outs suck.  Stuff like 5 min of (fill in the blank) 5 reps, rest 10 sec, and repeat for 5 min.  Heavy weight builds mass, but you need reps to grow.  Occlusion training works well for us older dudes so you can tax the muscles quicker with fewer reps. 

Just my 2 cents. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I
520 squat      198 Masters I
525/345/575 198  Masters II

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »
Starting out for me it was focusing on the big 5: Bench, Squats, OHP, Deads and Pullups and variations thereof. Mainly 8-12 reps except for deads which were like 6-2 reps, lighter to heavy.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online Merkley

• Professional shag rug smuggler
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: In the 2's
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
A mixture of heavy, low rep work (3-6 reps) and moderate weight, higher rep work (10-12 reps).

I've done both styles individually for phases and done both together for phases, depending on my goals. The latter of course yielding the most amount of muscle. Bare in mind I'm trying to add volume weekly, let it be with reps or weight while training with both styles. This forces the body to grow.

Let us not forget that nutrition (macro nutrients/micro nutrients), sleep (I cannot express the importance of this enough), genetics, proper supplementation (vitamins, minerals, PED's), and consistency will be the biggest controlling factors in how much muscle you will yield.

This is just my opinion, take it for whatever it's worth.
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
For me I always aimed for 40-ish reps per exercise...

3 sets of 12 reps
4 sets of 10 reps
5 sets of 8 reps
6 sets of 6 reps
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online DrManhattan

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:04:43 PM »
"occlusion training works well for us older dudes so you ..."
Interesting.

Status quo is more reps, etc.

Of course, assuming sleep,  diet, is on point.

Keep it coming. thanks guys.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »
I have made the best progress working aprox 25-30 TOTAL reps for main bodypart main exercise

3x10
4x8
5x5

Then a few finishing moves.

But, just use a preformatted program and follow.   DONT make up your own.

FWIW, I have never chased a pump and often never even got one.   I did not have to go in the corner and puke from working to that level of exertion.  This idea that you have to kill yourself to make great progress is not true and propagated by people who dont really know what they are talking about.

Even doing a program like 5/3/1, I would often leave the gym feeling like I didnt do much.  Come 5-6 weeks later, I am hitting a wall of recovery, yet never once feeling I was pushing my limits in the gym.  (Just working to hit the perscribed reps and sets laid out for me).

There are a lot of 'big' guys who dont know dik about training.   They might just have a great training response or....they are juiced to the gills.

In the end, work to lift something heavier than you did the day before, or the same weight for more reps.  Eat.  Repeat.

Online DrManhattan

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »
I have made the best progress working aprox 25-30 TOTAL reps for main bodypart main exercise

3x10
4x8
5x5

Then a few finishing moves.

But, just use a preformatted program and follow.   DONT make up your own.

FWIW, I have never chased a pump and often never even got one.   I did not have to go in the corner and puke from working to that level of exertion.  This idea that you have to kill yourself to make great progress is not true and propagated by people who dont really know what they are talking about.

Even doing a program like 5/3/1, I would often leave the gym feeling like I didnt do much.  Come 5-6 weeks later, I am hitting a wall of recovery, yet never once feeling I was pushing my limits in the gym.  (Just working to hit the perscribed reps and sets laid out for me).

There are a lot of 'big' guys who dont know dik about training.   They might just have a great training response or....they are juiced to the gills.

In the end, work to lift something heavier than you did the day before, or the same weight for more reps.  Eat.  Repeat.

Interesting. you look like you kill yourself at the gym. Seriously.
Definitely looks like you put in the work.

Reccomend a hypertrophy program if you have time..

Thanks everyone.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 10:43:08 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I train 'hard' but most of it is in my head.  I dont feel the need to make a bunch of noise, or yell and scream.   I have never puked in the gym, and rarely do I even grunt anymore since I am not training very heavy lately.   The idea that you want to annilate yourself in the gym is kinda silly.   That is really counter productive.    If you are training naturally, you cant even recover from that anyway.

3-4 days a week, 60-90 min is PLENTY.   Most of that time spent resting so you can lift as much as you can.

10 yeas ago, I found this article.  It really spoke to me and still does.  I think this guy does a great job of laying it out.  In fact many of my routines have been based off these basic ideas for years.  Upper/Lower splits, rep ranges...etc.

I really like this
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/trainingphilosophy.html

Online DrManhattan

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I train 'hard' but most of it is in my head.  I dont feel the need to make a bunch of noise, or yell and scream.   I have never puked in the gym, and rarely do I even grunt anymore since I am not training very heavy lately.   The idea that you want to annilate yourself in the gym is kinda silly.   That is really counter productive.    If you are training naturally, you cant even recover from that anyway.

3-4 days a week, 60-90 min is PLENTY.   Most of that time spent resting so you can lift as much as you can.

10 yeas ago, I found this article.  It really spoke to me and still does.  I think this guy does a great job of laying it out.  In fact many of my routines have been based off these basic ideas for years.  Upper/Lower splits, rep ranges...etc.

I really like this
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/trainingphilosophy.html

Holy smokes..
That article goes against everything we are taught. Had to read it twice.
Some of it makes sense however.
I also understood 'less (training) is more'. Or not to train to full exhaustion to the point you are useless the following days trying to recover. And food, food, food!!

So holy heck...where does one start? Seriously,  like the article mentioned,  I've seen that dude at the gym, that goes in..does his thing, barely breaks a sweat, then leaves quietly,  but he's cut or ripped..

Time for a reboot?
I mean I used to do legs 2x a week, but that's when I had no kids, ate good , SLEPT good, did cardio. I had less body fat for sure. Good definition. bigger legs than now.

Ok, so how do you know when you had a good workout if you are not supposed to kill it based on the article? Start with a bench mark and increase gradually and consistently?
For example..squat...week one: start with 135 for 4 sets of 12, then repeat 3 days later...week two: 140 for 4x12, repeat 3 days later, etc?? Right now I can start squat 225 x12 (or 13 or 14) for at least 5 sets..but that's just once a week. And then I'll have a bad week the next week. just all over the board. Really no visible gains.

Good article. will have to reread. Fo sho.
Thanks for taking time to post.

Online DrManhattan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 09:34:16 PM »
'the idea that you want to annilate yourself in the gym is kinda silly.   That is really counter productive.    If you are training naturally, you cant even recover from that anyway.'...ID

So..don't 'annihilate' oneself especially if natural..since you can't recover from that anyway..so I've been doing it wrong all these years...?? You kinda solidified what I already knew and felt.

Well fuk, I don't want to be that dude either that barely puts any weight on the bar,  works out for 20 minutes..then leaves (?)

I understand at my age and natural, wont ever look like a BBr...so what the heck..might as well take up yoga and forget weights??? I don't want to take up yoga, I wanna look like I lift dammit!

Just thinking out loud here...ranting..
No but seriously,  I want to look like I lift. I just feel better.

No, my eating isn't on point. Neither is my sleep.
Stress is semi contained..