Author Topic: So are we or are we not  (Read 997 times)

Offline tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
Re: So are we or are we not
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »
Just gonna throw this one out there. 

http://meets.revolutionpowerlifting.com/2019/12/08/christmas-in-the-jungle/

It has everything going for it.  Charity meet, RPS, and.... Alex is running it.
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I
520 squat      198 Masters I
525/345/575 198  Masters II

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Y'all have to do one of Alex's meets here in the land of MA.  Then I can finally get one of those fancy Iron sanctuary tee shirts.  8)

When he gets a mono and does a full power meet, I will be there.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline tooth

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
Y'all have to do one of Alex's meets here in the land of MA.  Then I can finally get one of those fancy Iron sanctuary tee shirts.  8)

When he gets a mono and does a full power meet, I will be there.

He does a full meet in MA.  I've done both, and just think the charity one was the best atmosphere of any meet I've done.  The judges where a who's who of new england powerlifting. 

http://meets.revolutionpowerlifting.com/2019/10/12/rps-power-challenge-23/

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »

Yes, this one is a Full Power Meet.  It will be very interesting, as Bama Burr, Rob Kearney, and Greg Panora are on the list to be competing.

Yes, I am running it, which means I can't compete.  But, I am working with a few people to teach them how to do the announcing and such, which means, I would be able to compete.

It's in Holyoke MA. the only difficulty, will be airports.  It's equidistant from Albany, Providence, and Boston.  The only close one is Hartford, CT. and that's still 40 minutes of travel time. Hotels are tough as well.

And there are some behind the scenes hiccups with this Meet, that may cause it to get cancelled. 
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline tooth

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »

Yes, this one is a Full Power Meet.  It will be very interesting, as Bama Burr, Rob Kearney, and Greg Panora are on the list to be competing.

Yes, I am running it, which means I can't compete.  But, I am working with a few people to teach them how to do the announcing and such, which means, I would be able to compete.

It's in Holyoke MA. the only difficulty, will be airports.  It's equidistant from Albany, Providence, and Boston.  The only close one is Hartford, CT. and that's still 40 minutes of travel time. Hotels are tough as well.

And there are some behind the scenes hiccups with this Meet, that may cause it to get cancelled.

I keep telling Jayson to pull some strings and have this thing at the Shriners Auditorium, but he say's it's a no go.  Not sure why, seems like the ideal place. 

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
If you've noticed, it's not called the "Lump of Coal" this year.

That's a little bit of what's wrong behind the scenes...
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
I see spring supremacy is now up and that has been the go to for the last couple years. I won't be doing anything in the spring. Just too busy. It isn't up yet but I'm hoping to do the Canadian rps meet.  Everyone can set the bar real high here. Last year was in October which is works for me. Shawn has said no comp this spring but Fall may work for him. He is a long way away so that's certainly up to him. I emailed RPS to see if there is plans for a Canadian meet so we'll see. Anyways that's my 2 cents.
As of now, there are no Canadian Meets planned. 
Gene and the Canadian coordinator had a falling out, and the attendance at most of the Canadian Meets meant Gene lost money driving his rig and set up, up there.
I can't compete for a while, but if it's close enough (5 hours or so) I'll drive out to be there for the day.
This is quite disappointing to hear but I understand. But as I read this there is a chance there may still be a Canadian meet? or is it for sure a no go?
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »
Gene would love to haev more Canadian meets.  He stop doing them, because it wasn't cost effective for him to drive up there with all the Gear.  He would lose money, not even close to break even, because there was low attendance.  That's what cancelled the Upstate NY Meets, as well.

This is actually a very intereting moment in Powerlifting.  So many people are doing it, but the attendance at Meets, has been dropping.  Not just in RPS, but in every federation.  A few years back, when Crossfit was at it's peak, there was as huge influx of lifters, but now, 3 years later, it's dropped back down.  We have a big Meet coming up, that for the past 5 years, has sold out early.  People begging to get in.  Now, it's a few weeks out, and we have just over 100 lifters, when it's usually sold out at 200 by this time.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »
Weird.  Is that because there's so many smaller feds doing their own thing now?
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »
A few years back, when Crossfit was at it's peak, there was as huge influx of lifters, but now, 3 years later, it's dropped back down. 

There's a joke about Crossfit injuries in there somewhere...

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »

I'd guess this is more of the case. Before you were forced to join feds in order to compete. RPS came along and broke that mold other feds started up using that model. For example; in upstate NY, years ago, you'd have one or two meets a year hosted by one of the top feds. RPS came in and we had 2 (Rochester/Buff) with outstanding attendance. Now, I see meets every month or so in Albany, Utica, Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo and while they might only attract 30-50 lifters, that's less lifters in a finite pool of lifters that can prepare for another meet, with short turn around.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:51:13 PM by John »
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 10:28:45 PM »

I'd guess this is more of the case. Before you were forced to join feds in order to compete. RPS came along and broke that mold other feds started up using that model. For example; in upstate NY, years ago, you'd have one or two meets a year hosted by one of the top feds. RPS came in and we had 2 (Rochester/Buff) with outstanding attendance. Now, I see meets every month or so in Albany, Utica, Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo and while they might only attract 30-50 lifters, that's less lifters in a finite pool of lifters that can prepare for another meet, with short turn around.

I'm wondering if Gene's personality didn't hurt his business. I've only competed in front of the RPS banner but attended a bunch of other meets. I don't have much interest in competing outside of RPS.

My hope is that he sells out to Alex and IS takes up the cause and collaborates with Rheta so there's less butthut and more PR's.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline tooth

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »

I'm wondering if Gene's personality didn't hurt his business. I've only competed in front of the RPS banner but attended a bunch of other meets. I don't have much interest in competing outside of RPS.

My hope is that he sells out to Alex and IS takes up the cause and collaborates with Rheta so there's less butthut and more PR's.

Ok, I'm in.  So, are we going to call it RPSIS, or just ALEX?  ;)

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 11:20:00 AM »
A few years back, when Crossfit was at it's peak, there was as huge influx of lifters, but now, 3 years later, it's dropped back down. 
There's a joke about Crossfit injuries in there somewhere...
hhahah!! that is quite possible. :D

that is possible, and something I hadn't really considered. 

As fun as that would be, the headaches that go along with it are compounded.  I have a goof insight as to why Gene's demeanor is the way it is.

Here's a note, when Gene left IPA to start RPS, the Admins at IPA wiped out all of his Meet results and records.  Including his 1,005lb Bench and his 1,000lb squat.
Keep in mind, that I am nothing other than a lifter and a Meet Director for RPS.  I hold no official title or sit on any boards.  Yet, because of how much I am involved, many people assume that I am Gene's right hand and can make all sorts happen, as well as am responsible for many things.  I'm just a cog in the wheel.

On a good note, I am back in the Gym, and have started the road back to the platform.  So, when I'm ready, I'll be back on the platform.

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »
As fun as that would be, the headaches that go along with it are compounded. 

Bingo. It would absolutely be everything that drives you crazy now, plus more crap that would drive you crazy.  It's ok to be self protective, in fact I recommend it.  You've got a great wife and kids, don't let a hobby take over your life, health and happiness.