Author Topic: question on rpe  (Read 76 times)

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
question on rpe
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
So for those of you that use an rpe based program, do you base your rpe for multiple sets at what the accumulated sets would be at the end or what one set would be? I'll explain. Coming off of 531 for example deadlifts would be rpe 10 for 395 x 10 therefore rpe 8 would be 8 reps but that's just for one set. I don't think I could do 3 sets at that weight without form breakdowns and a climbing rpe. To me it stands to reason that weight should be dropped to get rpe 8 for the total accumulated sets but in doing so the first set would be less than rpe 8. The other option would be dropping weight on each set to remain @ pre 8. Does that make sense? What do you do?
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
Re: question on rpe
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »
I've had Josh Bryant do my programming for me the past five years.  He keeps it simple 6 super easy 10 couldn't do it.  7,8,9 are pretty subjective. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I
520 squat      198 Masters I

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
You should hit the 8 first. I personally try a second set there and if the RPE climbs take 5% off the bar the following set. It doesnít have to be perfect of course. A lot of the times the second and third sets can stay around 8 at the same weight though, I think you may find this as you get more accustomed to the program.
So to answer the question, if the RPE climbs itís a good idea to drop around 5% to keep the desired @8 so you donít accumulate extra fatigue
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »
https://articles.reactivetrainingsystems.com/2016/01/06/customizing-your-rpe-chart/

Not sure if you have copy of this, but it is very handy with giving you a target weight to hit for the session ahead.
☻/
/ \

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
Thanks Shawn. I havent seen that chart before. I'll have a read. I have been trying to keep things the same over the course of the sets but I see I still have some learning to do in regards weight estimation. Bench was a killer last week. It seems I overshot, or I didn't have enough rest between.(maybe just a bad day)
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »
Thanks Shawn. I havent seen that chart before. I'll have a read. I have been trying to keep things the same over the course of the sets but I see I still have some learning to do in regards weight estimation. Bench was a killer last week. It seems I overshot, or I didn't have enough rest between.(maybe just a bad day)
I have a copy of the RPE/percentage chart from TSA hanging on my gym wall. Good reference for trying to figure out a target weight for the day.
☻/
/ \