Author Topic: Renaissance Periodization Diet Template Thread  (Read 70 times)

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
Renaissance Periodization Diet Template Thread
« on: October 06, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »
I'm six weeks out from my next meet and i decided to make a push to optimize my diet for performance heading into the meet. This is one area where if i am really honest with myself, i haven't been very disciplined.

Today i signed up with renaissance periodization (RP), i purchased their diet template for mass-gain. They sent me a pdf file of a diet plan based on my weight and goals. It basically has me eating 6 meals a day and has information about the macros for each meal, and the timing for each meal. The template takes into account when you workout (morning, vs evening, etc), and adjusts the macros accordingly. I'll post in here on some updates on how it goes and answer questions if anyone has any. I chose RP because they have a lot of high level lifters using their plans, and they've been at it for awhile so i think they have it pretty dialed in.

☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: Renaissance Periodization Diet Template Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
Cool. There's another one where they have 1 on 1 diet coaching but it's for bodybuilding, the results are pretty amazing, if you have a decent base you are almost assured of a 1st place finish in your division.

For PL'ing I'm not sold on nutrient timing, I just do what Alex tells me to do lol
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »
Good luck with the program and keep us posted. 

I dunno how anyone can eat 6 times a day, though.

First of all who has the time and secondly that's like every 2 hours.  I would not be hungry again that soon. Even if I ate something smallish.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »
No big secret in gaining weight or losing it.   Amount of meals a day is irrelevant.

No one can just give you a "meal plan" and it be anything close.  They can take a wild guess at your TDEE and that is about as accurate as throwing a dart at a board full of numbers.

My only advice to anyone that wants to maximize their performance and is willing to take on the dedication it takes to 'eat with purpose', is learn to do it for yourself.   Following another plan for you just assures one thing.....you wont learn anything.

Too many people in this industry profit off other people and act like they have the magic formulation all figured out.   There is no such thing.  Nutrition is so damn simple.   Only YOU can make it work for you and it will take some work.   

There is no trainer/nutritionist that can do what you can do for yourself.  (unless you wanted to pay someone for almost a full time job.)

It is not that hard, and it is the key to really finding that higher level of performance.   When I planned and tracked macros, there was no such thing as a good or bad workout.  They were always the same.   Never missed a rep...etc.   The stability and predictability of a controlled intake can be the foundation for the best gains of your life. (regardless of goals)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
Cool. There's another one where they have 1 on 1 diet coaching but it's for bodybuilding, the results are pretty amazing, if you have a decent base you are almost assured of a 1st place finish in your division.

For PL'ing I'm not sold on nutrient timing, I just do what Alex tells me to do lol

Yeah, i saw the 1-1 coaching option and they help people achieve some good results. Anyways, this will be interesting to try out. I've never experimented with the nutrient timing. Doubt there is too much to it, but more than likely just being consistent and steady will help.

Good luck with the program and keep us posted. 

I dunno how anyone can eat 6 times a day, though.

First of all who has the time and secondly that's like every 2 hours.  I would not be hungry again that soon. Even if I ate something smallish.

Thanks Jim, will do. After taking a closer look a few of the meals are pretty small. It does seem like a lot though. i agree 6 is a lot

When I planned and tracked macros, there was no such thing as a good or bad workout.  They were always the same.   Never missed a rep...etc.   The stability and predictability of a controlled intake can be the foundation for the best gains of your life. (regardless of goals)

this is what i am after
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »

There is no trainer/nutritionist that can do what you can do for yourself.  (unless you wanted to pay someone for almost a full time job.)

That's the logical aspect, but when you factor in paying someone, you factor in doing what they say. We can all tell ourselves what to do, but will we do it? In my case, not so much - in the last 6 months I've probably skipped 100 meals that I really needed.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »

That's the logical aspect, but when you factor in paying someone, you factor in doing what they say. We can all tell ourselves what to do, but will we do it? In my case, not so much - in the last 6 months I've probably skipped 100 meals that I really needed.

good point, there is incentive for compliance when you pay for something. I was looking over this plan in more detail, it is pretty sophisticated. Likely a far better starting point than i would have developed on my own. There is caloric adjustments built in, based on weight gain/loss, and there are phases that take into account change in lean mass as you progress through a several month period.

plus i have fun trying stuff like this out.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 09:59:02 PM »
Good deal.

I think it is a great exercise.   Do it as planned and see how you do.   

I will however add that if at any moment it becomes too dominating or overly difficult to follow (for whatever reason), understand that there really are no "rules".   6 times a day wont net you any different results than 3 (given equal cals and macros).   Heck.....learn and then craft what works for you.

I scanned some old post-it notes of various macro ratios, carb cycling, even fat cycling.  This probably is 3+ years of dieting for me done all various ways.  (assuming spending 3-4 months trying each out.  In the end, the ability to control and set intake, will have the greatest impact on the direction of your training.  EVEN MORE THAN AAS will.  (Yes, I am saying that and I believe it)   Combine the two and you can do so much more with so much less than what 90% of people "think" you need.

Good luck man!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 11:10:34 PM »
Good deal.

I think it is a great exercise.   Do it as planned and see how you do.   

I will however add that if at any moment it becomes too dominating or overly difficult to follow (for whatever reason), understand that there really are no "rules".   6 times a day wont net you any different results than 3 (given equal cals and macros).   Heck.....learn and then craft what works for you.

I scanned some old post-it notes of various macro ratios, carb cycling, even fat cycling.  This probably is 3+ years of dieting for me done all various ways.  (assuming spending 3-4 months trying each out.  In the end, the ability to control and set intake, will have the greatest impact on the direction of your training.  EVEN MORE THAN AAS will.  (Yes, I am saying that and I believe it)   Combine the two and you can do so much more with so much less than what 90% of people "think" you need.

Good luck man!

Thanks ID, awesome to hear of the results you have gotten with dialing in your nutrition. This is exactly what Iím going for. My training has been going quite well and I think this will take it to the next level
☻/
/ \
Team RTS