• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:00:48 AM »
This is why there is powerliftingwatch.com and openpowerlifting.org so we can see how we stack up against everyone, not just those in our federations.  Because I agree that's kind of pointless.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
meh...
yes, there are a ton of first places, but really who cares....does it motivate people to work harder, to lift more, to continue to push themselves?  There are very few competitors in my division and I hold first in my class in all 4 records, all that means to me is that I'm going to keep pushing those numbers as high as possible. 

as a side note, I checked powerliftingwatch and my numbers and ranking are better than I though, my squat and total are up there...DL and bench suck, but that's no surprise, just give me things to work on. 
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:02:43 AM »
I read this as well. To me it didn’t really resonate as much. I am a 43 year old dad who never even stepped on the platform until I was 42....I am under no delusions that I am “strong” in the sport. I think the segregated divisions are ok as I am not sure if I even would have attempted to compete if I was in a 198 open division. Getting absolutely demolished out there would have been not only intimidating to me, but probably humuliating as well.

I know it’s about competing to better yourself but there needed to be a sense of actually belonging on the platform for me. Being ranked in a small subdivision against guys in my demographic just made the decision to compete that much easier. In reality it shouldn’t matter but I think we all want to be at least relevant out there.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »
Well, some of you have seen my arm tattoo.  The only "placings" I have tattoo'd on there, are the Strongman Comps, as that placing actually means something.  The rest of the tat's are date, BW, Squat/bench/Dead and Total. 

In all honesty, I get more out of competing against Flex, than I do from any trophy or placement.

I'd say, that's the better way to compete.  Against someone you know and will push you harder.

Then again, Bando would be competing against Sabrina.... (Who's now back in knee wraps and pushing her squat numbers up...)
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
His words spoke very true to the way I feel.   However he has a place from which to express his opinion without people  being able to 'call him out' since he is such a seasoned competitor.  I have never truly articulated my feeling on whether or not to 'compete' for those reasons.   I just kept those thoughts to myself out of respect for those that do enjoy it for their reasons.

I respect those that do and their reasons, it is just for me it did not hold a lot of meaning.

I say though, getting together to meet everyone and competing with friends and making new ones in the process, is something that by all means is something I can understand.   

What the article fails to recognize is that for some, the placing, even at a local meet, does hold meaning and motivation.  I think guys closer to the top of the sport might scoff at this, but for a guy our age, just getting up and benching 225 is something to be proud of.   And the truth is, sampling the general population, that guy is strong.   So in that regard, yes, a little recognition is OK.

So I see both sides.   For me the awards and trophies would not mean anything at all.   But I respect that for others, it is a great thing to take pride in putting yourself out there and I applaud those that do and fully support it.

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »
Some good points and actually the best part of the meets for me are getting together with the doods and watching them kill it on the platform. Love being there with the guys from IS and cheering everyone on.
☻/
/ \

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:21:08 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think the article is really a waste of time.  It comes across like powerlifting is a huge fad taking over the nation with millions of participants and that simply isn't true.  If it were there'd be more PL gyms and maybe a few less PF type gyms.  I live in a relatively large city and there are 2 PL gyms in Orlando, one is truly only a PL gym in a cramped tiny warehouse and the other has some monster pl'ers but they are financially supported by the xfit potion of the gym.  The majority of PL'ers at competitions are repeat customers.  I can understand his stance, but I think it's pretty meaningless and an attempt to belittle others that aren't the nations top ranked lifters. And if anyone has EVER spoken with another lifter about a meet, you'll pretty much always discuss the numbers. Fuck, after the last meet I attended I think everyone in the crowd should get a trophy for not dying in the ungodly hot and stuffy gym we were jammed in. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:48:41 PM by Get-n-fit »
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think the article is really a waste of time.  It comes across like powerlifting is a huge fad taking over the nation with millions of participants and that simply isn't true.  If it were there'd be more PL gyms and maybe a few less PF type gyms.  I live in a relatively large city and there are 2 PL gyms in Orlando, one is truly only a PL gym in a cramped tiny warehouse and the other has some monster pl'ers but they are financially supported by the xfit potion of the gym.  The majority of PL'ers at competitions are repeat customers.  I can understand his stance, but I think it's pretty meaningless and an attempt to belittle others that aren't the nations top ranked lifters. And if anyone has EVER spoken with another lifter about a meet, you'll pretty much always discuss the numbers. Fuck, after the last meet I attended I think everyone in the crowd should get a trophy for not dying in the ungodly hot and stuffy gym we were jammed in.
Lol FWIW I am the only powerlifter I know in my city
☻/
/ \

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
Until there is one standard for the sport that spans all feds each and every record is tainted. Stepping up to the platform was always a way to keep me motivated more than anything else. I see DT's point on the ridiculousness of the records because it is. Powerliftingwatch does a good job of sorting the data except it misses the key point - all else equal, which it is not.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
Then again, Bando would be competing against Sabrina....

Oh snap............. :o :o :o
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
Meh, it's an individual sport.  Who gives an F what anyone else thinks.  But, this is the first thing he's written that got a buzz on here.  And he writes some cool crap. 

I don't consider myself strong, so when I venture out of my basement I'm always surprised to see how weak people are at commercial gyms.  The half squats, and "It's all you" spotting drives me right back to my lonely little dungeon. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I
520 squat      198 Masters I
525/345/575 198  Masters II

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
I'm always surprised to see how weak people are at commercial gyms.  The half squats, and "It's all you" spotting drives me right back to my lonely little dungeon.

So much kafuckery at commercial gyms.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
I'm always surprised to see how weak people are at commercial gyms.  The half squats, and "It's all you" spotting drives me right back to my lonely little dungeon.

So much kafuckery at commercial gyms.

I like that word and am stealing it!  ;D
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr