Author Topic: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 180
Anthony's Powerlifting Journal
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
What's up everyone. To those that take the time to read my training and take part in this journey I definitely appreciate it.

I won't make the intro that long. I've done some meets in the past but it's been a while. I got complacent with my training and goals. Towards the later part of last year and into this year I finally started getting consistent with my training and redefining my goals.

What are those? Well to get stronger and do some more meets. My focus is definitely on powerlifting and that's what my training will be geared towards.

I'm currently running Candito's 6 week strength program for my squat and deadlift. For my bench I have a buddy who provided me with a 6 week program to run along side of that. I joined a local powerlifting gym which has definitely been the best decision thus far I've made for my training.

I'm unsure on what my maxes are as I haven't tested them in the longest time. I may do that after this run the programs I'm on just to see where I'm at.

After these two programs end I may start transitioning more towards an RPE based program or one that has a percentage based schematic built in along with RPE. Some programs I'm looking into for the future are the Calgary Barbell 12 week program, TSA 9 week program or to pay to get programming from Garret Blevins. I'll definitely let you guys know when that time comes.

In the mean time let's have some fun, learn, grow and get stronger together.

Mar 14, 2018 C3 W2 D3
Squat
45x10
45x10
135x5
185x3
225x1
270x9 Top set @9
260x3 @7
260x3 @7
260x3 @7.5
260x3 @7
260x3 @7.5
260x3 @7.5
260x3 @7.5
260x3 @7.5

Romanian deadlift
245x8 @8
245x8 @8
245x8 @8.5

Belt squat
90x12
90x12
90x12
90x12
90x12

Chest supported T bar row
90x12
90x12
90x12

Side plank
0x0 30 seconds
0x0 30 seconds
0x0 30 seconds

https://youtu.be/RoGxFNJNRAg

Summary: Things went pretty good today. I decided to squat with the Texas Squat Bar which is 55lbs. I like this bar a lot for the simple fact that the 45s don't clip the weight stands when I'm walking out. On a normal Ohio Power Bar when I go to unload the 45s always clip the stands. It doesn't do much at low weight but as it increases this can cause an issue.

My squat felt good. I decided to start incorporating an RPE rating so I can start getting better at gauging my sets via RPE. I'm pissed cause my pos iPhone 6s plus ran out of memory to record my sets (which is why I'm thinking of switching to an Android). I had to just play it off feel after my top set of 270.

The program called for a top set of 10 reps max. I thought I had counted 10 reps but watching the play back it was only 9. Good thing is I feel that top set was an RPE 9 so I had at least one more rep in me.

Back off sets felt good and strong.

Tomorrow is my second bench day.

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
Welcome to IS Anthony! See u found us over here quickly. (Iím raynerd from BB.com) real name Shawn.
Great way to enter the the forum, Candito week 2....the week from hell!!
Ran this to peak for my first meet last year, I, like you modified the bench, added slingshot work and inclines instead of any OHP. I didnít do very good with bench the times before I ran this. Although nothing other than getting fatter seems to work for my poverty bench lol. Squats and deads however, did make some great gainz

One guy Ron (BLKOOT) in here is running Calgary Barbell right now, another Rich (Reduni) is running TSA so be good to check out their logs.

Looking forward to following along buddy!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:48:21 PM by ShawnJ »
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:56:08 PM »
Welcome to the IS journals.
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »
Welcome to IS Anthony! See u found us over here quickly. (Iím raynerd from BB.com) real name Shawn.
Great way to enter the the forum, Candito week 2....the week from hell!!
Ran this to peak for my first meet last year, I, like you modified the bench, added slingshot work and inclines instead of any OHP. I didnít do very good with bench the times before I ran this. Although nothing other than getting fatter seems to work for my poverty bench lol. Squats and deads however, did make some great gainz

One guy Ron (BLKOOT) in here is running Calgary Barbell right now, another Rich (Reduni) is running TSA so be good to check out their logs.

Looking forward to following along buddy!

Yeah man the first 2 weeks are pretty brutal seeing that it involves a lot of rep work.

I don't know why I'm so indecisive on what to run after this cycle. I honestly don't think I've ever been this indecisive before but I am now lol.

I'll definitely stop by your log and check those other ones that you mentioned out.

Welcome to the IS journals.

Thanks a lot Dave.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
Welcome to IS Anthony.  It sounds like you've got a good plan in terms of programming.  All of those programming options are solid and should do you well.  I'm curious to follow along and see where your training takes you.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:05:01 PM »
Welcome to IS Anthony.  It sounds like you've got a good plan in terms of programming.  All of those programming options are solid and should do you well.  I'm curious to follow along and see where your training takes you.

What's up prey. I believe I saw you post at BB.com about your sweet AB barbell you picked up.

Thanks for joining along in this journey. I really have some decisions to make in terms of programming that's for sure. I'm really leaning towards working with Garret Blevins though. I like the fact that my training gets adjusted every 4 weeks with his AI Programming based off my feedback from the micro cycles.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
Mar 15, 2018 C1 W2 D2

Spoto press
45x15
95x5
135x3
150x7 @6
150x7 @6
150x7 @6
150x8 @6

Pulldowns
105x12
105x12
105x12
105x12
105x12

Jm press
55x10
55x10
55x10
55x10
55x10

Face pulls
30x25
25x25
25x25
25x25

Dumbbell Bicep Curl
35x10
35x10
35x10
35x10

https://youtu.be/k-deZz9buiM

Summary: I woke up at 4:30 AM for this session, had my preworkout and a toaster pastry for some carbs and headed out the door at 4:45 AM. I got to the gym and started warming up around 5:08 AM.

I've been playing around with my foot position with a flat foot position most recently. I decided to see how benching on my toes felt as this was the primary way that I've had my feet set up ever since I got into powerlifting (started learning form from watching the EFTS Dave Tate vids on benching). I felt a lot better in regards to being tighter overall and more efficient with my leg drive.

I think I'll be sticking with this foot position going forward. Main reason I switched was I was getting major lower back pain after each set. I would get done with a set and feel like I was getting stabbed in my lower lumbar. It would go away after a couple minutes but over the course of a training session that sh!t would suck.

I added 10lbs to the Spoto Press from the previous week and things felt good and light. I would say it was definitely an RPE of 6 seeing as the weight felt like warm up weight.

Accessory work went good. I love the JM press for my tricep work on Day 2. I don't know why I didn't use this movement before. I went light cause I'm still getting comfortable with the movement pattern but I definitely love this tricep variation.

The training session ended at 6:28 AM and overall went pretty damn good. My bodyweight as of this morning before training was 178.2lbs. I'm slowly reverse dieting back up to maintenance and working on getting back into the 200lb range and will assess from that point. Speaking of weight. I failed to mention a long cut I was on that started in June of 2017.

I weighed I believe between 230-240 and decided I really wanted to focus on changing my body composition. That's when I started a cut to pursue that. Along that journey is when I began to get complacement with training but luckily that's over. I started to reverse diet a couple weeks back to slowly add in calories while building up to maintenance. From there the goal is to get to 200lbs slowly and reasses where I'm at. Obviously during this cut I lost a lot of strength but I knew that was going to happen. I've included two pics as a reference point. One pic (first pic) was my starting point and the second pic is where I'm currently at as of this morning.

Start of cut
https://imgur.com/q7cFP2f

Current
https://imgur.com/E7FzzhL

Tomorrow is a rest day and I'll be back for my 3rd bench day on Saturday night.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:15:22 PM by Anthony21 »

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
Legit lifts.....I am jealous of your shoulder mobility.  Would love to lock into a squat like you do.   Nice!

Great job cutting.   You look like you have a good frame.   Anything you add will look great on you.  Nice work so far.   

Controlling diet and using it to your advantage will have the largest impact as to how your body responds to your training.   Food is your friend....  But use it wisely!

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
Legit lifts.....I am jealous of your shoulder mobility.  Would love to lock into a squat like you do.   Nice!

Great job cutting.   You look like you have a good frame.   Anything you add will look great on you.  Nice work so far.   

Controlling diet and using it to your advantage will have the largest impact as to how your body responds to your training.   Food is your friend....  But use it wisely!

What's up Drag! Thanks for joining in on my training journal.

I'm definitely happy with the progress I made with my body comp and the cut. It definitely taught me a lot about nutrition and being selective with when and what I'm eating when the calories got low.

I typically follow a IIFYM approach but that was hard to do when the calories dropped. I had to be a lot more concious of the foods I was eating and what not to eat.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »

I've been playing around with my foot position with a flat foot position most recently. I decided to see how benching on my toes felt as this was the primary way that I've had my feet set up ever since I got into powerlifting (started learning form from watching the EFTS Dave Tate vids on benching). I felt a lot better in regards to being tighter overall and more efficient with my leg drive.

I think I'll be sticking with this foot position going forward. Main reason I switched was I was getting major lower back pain after each set. I would get done with a set and feel like I was getting stabbed in my lower lumbar. It would go away after a couple minutes but over the course of a training session that sh!t would suck.

Wow that's odd. I'm a whole body bencher so everything will be sore the next day, but never had anything like that.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
Great workout yesterday Anthony. :)  That was a lot of good looking bench reps in your video.  I like your leg positioning and your arch...looks like a lot of potential power there.

I hadn't really heard of Garret Blevins programming before so after reading your previous posts I went and looked it up.  That does indeed look interesting and the cost seems very reasonable.  I'll be interested to see if you go that route what your programming looks like.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »
Impressive job on the weight loss. 
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »

Wow that's odd. I'm a whole body bencher so everything will be sore the next day, but never had anything like that.

I talked to the gym owner where I train. He told me when it comes to initiating the leg drive I should focus on pushing my toes forward and just not my heels down towards the ground. I'll definitly be working on this going forward.

Great workout yesterday Anthony. :)  That was a lot of good looking bench reps in your video.  I like your leg positioning and your arch...looks like a lot of potential power there.

I hadn't really heard of Garret Blevins programming before so after reading your previous posts I went and looked it up.  That does indeed look interesting and the cost seems very reasonable.  I'll be interested to see if you go that route what your programming looks like.

I'm definitely hoping it helps with my poverty bench lol.

Blevins is a very smart guy when it comes to programming. His YouTube channel has a ton of great information on there.

It's funny you mentioned his programming cause I deciced to actually sign up to see what it's all about.

Sure I could stay on Candito's program for X amount of cycles. The thing that really interested me with Garret was his AI Programming. The way it works is that you get 4 week microcyle training blocks. At the end of 4 weeks you send the excel sheet back with a questionairre and then get another 4 week microcycle that is adjusted based off your feedback and the first microcycle.

So it's an ever evolving tailored program that changes in terms of volume and fatigue. I liked this cause that's what seperates it from a cookie cutter program that doesn't address the lifters specific needs in terms of volume and fatigue.

I'm going to give it a 12 week run seeing as $1 for the first 4 week block then $28 for every 4 week block after isn't breaking the bank. After 12 weeks you have a test day and from there I'll decide if I want to continue or not.

He has two types of programming to choose from on the initial questionairre that you fill out prior to signing up. He has a powerlifting template and then a power building that focuses on strength and size. I opted to go with the power building. You pick which body part you want to focus on after the main lift(s) and I decided to choose back for the first 4 weeks.

My first day is scheduled to start next monday and needeless to say I'm excited to start. Here is how day 1 will go down.

Face Pull 3x30
Low Bar squat 10x2 @ 72.5%
Wide Grip Bench 4x5 @60%

I'll be training 5 days a week with this microcycle.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »
Impressive job on the weight loss.

Thanks a lot Dave. I definitely learned a lot during it. I'm enjoying the increased calories though at this point lol.

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
Great session Anthony, looks like the new foot position gets you in a tighter place for sure. Beauty work on the cut, you didnít even look that fat at 230-40 TBH, hard to believe all the weight that came off.
Looking forward to the new program!
☻/
/ \