Author Topic: Squat Form Help  (Read 1486 times)

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Re: Squat Form Help
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:49 PM »
It is easy to see a mile away.  You are not sitting back.   Instead, you are dropping and allowing the weight to come forward.

I screen capped zoomed in on your heels.   You are NOT solid.   In a perfect squat the force is driven through the heels not balls of your feet.   Same as deadlift.  When you come up perfectly balanced someone should almost be able to pull a sheet of paper out from under the balls of your feet.

It is lack of confidence dropping back that causes this in most people I have seen.

To fix....do box squats concentrating on dropping back to a full de-load.   This will give you the confidence to drop back and know you are not going to fall over.   Find that confidence to let the weight drop back and you should see some significant increases.   Right now, that instability and shifting center of mass is overloading your lower back.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
Re-read this thread and the trainer helped me on keeping the good light form for the heavier stuff.

Looking better?

I just watched this new video.....it is better but your heels are still unstable. (rolling up and to the sides) If you watch your left foot closely, it is rolling up.   I put the vid on 1080p and zoomed in.  You can see it.   Small, but still there.   Try to get very comfortable dropping back.   See if that gives you the confidence to transfer the weight a little further back.   

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »

To fix....do box squats concentrating on dropping back to a full de-load.

The trainer actually suggested that. What height box? parallel, above or below?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »
Another horrible vid but looks like your stance is still too narrow and I think that's stopping you from getting deep and also from engaging your hams/glutes to get some power going.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »
engaging hams/glutes to get some power going.

Another thing the trainer said I was doing wrong..

And I don't know why the the fuk he decided to shoot it so close to me  :S

He said the 1st 2 were parallel but I have doubts
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:48:25 PM by Bando »

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »

The trainer actually suggested that. What height box? parallel, above or below?

If it were me, I would set a box below parallel.   The idea is to get you used to dropping back without fear you will fall over if you overshoot the weight transfer.   The full sit lets you push that to the limit so you can see just how far back you drop without falling back.   If you do fall back, no big deal....you just end up sitting.  It is all about confidence.  You want to be as far back as you can without falling.  The only way to really know where that lies, is to fall back a bunch of times and zero in on where that edge lies.   You want to be just forward of it.  But no more than you need to.

Doing this over and over will help you find your groove and become confident on the lowering of the weight with the cg transfer keeping you off the balls of your feet.   Any forward lean, places additional weight on your lower back and levers you into a worse position attempting to lift the weight.

I am not sure I agree on wider stance...etc.   It is all to the individual.  Plenty of oly lifters squat high bar and very close stance.   A more traditional power lifter might be low bar and wider. (trying to use more hip/glutes).

It is whatever works best for you.   Regardless of stance, the instability in your feet is a killer.   It means you are fighting a shifting cg.   Any effort to move in the x-y axis is taking away from what you are trying to do in the z.   Find your groove and I guarantee your lift will improve.   

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »
If it were me, I would set a box below parallel.   The idea is to get you used to dropping back without fear you will fall over if you overshoot the weight transfer.   The full sit lets you push that to the limit so you can see just how far back you drop without falling back.   If you do fall back, no big deal....you just end up sitting.  It is all about confidence.  You want to be as far back as you can without falling.  The only way to really know where that lies, is to fall back a bunch of times and zero in on where that edge lies.   You want to be just forward of it.  But no more than you need to.

Doing this over and over will help you find your groove and become confident on the lowering of the weight with the cg transfer keeping you off the balls of your feet.   Any forward lean, places additional weight on your lower back and levers you into a worse position attempting to lift the weight.

I am not sure I agree on wider stance...etc.   It is all to the individual.  Plenty of oly lifters squat high bar and very close stance.   A more traditional power lifter might be low bar and wider. (trying to use more hip/glutes).

It is whatever works best for you.   Regardless of stance, the instability in your feet is a killer.   It means you are fighting a shifting cg.   Any effort to move in the x-y axis is taking away from what you are trying to do in the z.   Find your groove and I guarantee your lift will improve.

I can squat ATG with lower weights, no matter where my feet are, flexibility/mobility aren't the issue. Working with John last year I got my feet closer and got my current PR. I do tend to be quad dominant and push off the balls of my feet. I'm no stranger to box squats and thinking it through it makes sense to train with a box to get my CG back over my midline. As for the X-Y axis stuff I've always subscribed to Rippetoe's philosophy that if the bar is moving in a straight line, your body is performing a proper squat.

I forgot to mention the trainer had me spreading my feet during the lift, an Ed Coan thing to open up your hips. At any rate, it will be awhile before another vid, can hardly walk FFS.

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »
Bando

I am no expert by any means....but yes, find what works for you.   The key is you are most efficient if you are not transferring the weight forward. (regardless of stance)  I am also not a big "push out" cue guy either.   If you find your right groove over time, it may not match any textbook.  Cues are just that.  Something to try to keep you on the right path to get to the right form.  I would not try to force your body into a movement it does not want to go.

Find that balance point (with the confidence of the box) and just stay ever so slightly forward of it.

On a few 'perfect' deadlifts I have ever done....the best ones that felt like a perfect groove had me locking out with lightness in my toes.  Freaking me out saying....'boy a little more pull back and I would have fallen over'.   But riding that perfect line lets you apply all your force vertically.

Good luck man.   At the point we are at in our experience in training, it is form optimization that will really make the gains.   We are not all born natural squatters like FLEX (I hate him for his beautiful squats :D)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
We are not all born natural squatters like FLEX (I hate him for his beautiful squats :D)

When FLEX was a kid he was in leg braces, during that time I was in little league playing catcher, squatting an hour or two a day.  :wtf:

DIEL?

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
and the chitty videos continue, this one I didn't get my feet FFS

anyway, did about 60 box squats at the exact depth I want to hit to warm up. Got comfortable with power through the heels. Took Flex's suggestion and got my feet as wide as I could and pointed out. Since I'm quad dominant I'm currently a little weaker in that stance, but it's comfortable and with my stubby legs it makes for a noticeably shorter ROM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkVdDXYLRo

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »
Didn't see any glaring form issues, although it looked like the bar might be a little high on your back, but I squat high bar too.

So.....I got no advices..... :S
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »
I got the depth where I want it but I'm still folding a little. At least it's not getting in front of me. I was in socks for that - I'm going to do some heavy singles in my Adipowers and socks, felt really, really good in just socks.

DIEL?

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »
kind of late to the show, but to me it looks like you've got the bar in high bar position but your body is doing a low bar movement, which means your upper body is folding forward. This would be fine in low bar bc the bar would be travelling in a straight path, but in high bar the bar would travel forward, throwing you off balance and you would lose power trying to get back into position.  Also, at the bottom you good morning'ed it out of the hole, I see a lot of low bar squatters make that mistake, some can get away with it bc they have the strength too.  But for high bar, you need to keep your body very upright throughout the movement.
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Damn am I fat!

Heels still coming up ever so slightly, videographer suggested flat shoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mG3uWXPgs

DIEL?

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
Damn am I fat!

Heels still coming up ever so slightly, videographer suggested flat shoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mG3uWXPgs

Only looked like the second rep had the heels coming up.
Why not try in your stocking feet?
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr