Author Topic: May have torn my other bicep, debating quitting lifting for the first time ever  (Read 387 times)

Online halfway

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 230
There was no accute event but it was MRId at 10% torn with tendinosis about this time last year. 2 days ago I finished a moderate back workout and cannot supinate or probate properly anymore or flex my bicep properly - theres inhibition and no enervation

It's been a pretty hard couple of years with multiple surgeries and if I need another (the symptoms of this are the same as my 2016 high grade partial tear in the left bicep) I'm debating no more lifting beyond some general fitness light stuff

I've never felt like this before about lifting but my body seems to be collapsing even under very mild loads compared to what I used in my 20s and 30s, and the paranoia of what goes next is terrible now.

Last bicep surgery sucked but I was positive about a comeback. That never happened and my left arm is now more than an inch smaller than pre surgery (losing my triceps to 2 shoulder surgeries on that side right after the bicep repair didnt help) and at this point if Im going to have a dadbod or dyel look even if I workout hard, why bother damaging anything else.

Apologies for the blog post

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Good Grief.  :(

What's the longest you've ever taken off?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • FEELING "LESS" FATCKED!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
Sucks to hear this. Hope this isn't as bad as the last one.

I have been feeling kind of like this myself lately. It seems that every time I lift I end up with pain in both biceps and shoulders. Both are bad and easily aggravated anymore. I have taken a lot of time off in the past 3 months due to health reasons and things seem to get better but as soon as I start pushing again it comes back.

I just started 531 again for the first time since 2014 and I am starting with very low 1RMs to not push them too hard. Guess I'll see what happens.

Best of luck with the latest injury.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Wow....sorry man.   Do you think androgen suppression of collagen synthesis could be an underlying cause?   I have taken the last few years off lifting 'heavy', but I am getting the itch again.   I have often wondered if even TRT is suppressing collagen synthesis.   Part of me is wondering if I should not push myself like I used to?.....   I know guys add in deca or EQ with the thought of up-regulation, but again some studies show deca does not really help in soft tissue recovery.  (thinking of the study where they used Deca on shoulder reconstruct patients).

Wondering what your thoughts are.......

As for size....I know this.  You DONT need heavy weight to keep it.   The heavy weight feeds the ego.   Now I dont believe I could have built my physique using light weights, but in the past year, the mostly I benched with 135.   I did lots of hammer strength with LIGHT weight.   I would do bicep curls with a 40 or 50lb straight bar and for dumbbell curls, I used 25's.  (SRS).    I experimented with very long sets with lots of TUT.  As an example, doing my straight bar curls with a 50lb bar, during one of my sets, I would see a guy next to me in the gym complete 2 and sometime part of a 3rd including his resting, WHILE I WAS STILL FINISHING ONE SET!    I also experimented with alternative type sets.   Not using the typical 4x10 or 3 x whatever.   I would do a set to 90% fatigue, rest enough to get maybe another 7 reps and then stop short of failure, and rest enough to get 5, then stop to where I could get 4-5 (never totally failing) until I would hit aprox 50 reps total.   They were giant sets and would take me several minutes to complete.

Fast forward to the new year.   Taking over 2 years from deadlifting and squatting, I decided to move weight this year.   You would think this 'light work' would have a huge negative impact upon strength.   Not really.   I did my second deadlift workout tues of 2018.   First time in 2+ year and finished my top working set with 495x5.   Squats are similar....465x4 was my top of my 2nd squat session and this was not "all out".....just testing out the core.

Anyway....my point is not really about the strength, but rather the ability to maintain in with just about nothing.   It is the one place I believe the mmc can really work.   And for what it was worth, I was not relying on androgens to hold on either.   I had pretty much the most stressful year I have had in many, with the least amount of sleep, and was running 125mg/week.

If you decide to train....check the ego.   I have done it with my chest.   I have resolved that benching heavy is just not for me anymore.   Part of me will never be totally OK with it, but I accept it like other things.   If I ever got to the point where I had to give up all heavy stuff, I would finally get the motivation to really get in shape.   You have YEARS of foundation there you built.  It takes almost nothing to support it other than a good intake and even the most moderate workouts.

If you want some ideas, I'd be happy to share with you workout ideas.   You will be amazed how much your mind can control your contractions.  Eliminating unwanted muscles from a contraction and focusing on isolating others can and does work.   There is a zone I can get into, and get a great workout with 50lbs on legs extensions.   It is a fun place to explore.   I dont give a crap if someone thinks I look weird struggling with 20lb dumbbells.  Success needs no explanations! .....

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Well that sucks.

When is your doc appointment.  Maybe wait til after that before you think about throwing in the towel.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online halfway

I should know how bad it is next week, I'm hoping its just tendinosis but it feels just like the tear did so Im not especially hopeful

ID, I rarely go over 100lb dumbells for anything and train in the 20 rep range these days. Ironic isnt it? Maybe its the TRT at 250 a week is causing the collagen to weaken,  I'd take hgh but it gives me bone spur growth so its not a good option (might need spurs cut off my hip joint and knee)

I'll spend the weekend wallowing in self pity and see how the MRI turns out

Online halfway

Got the MRI results today (I love my insurance!) amazingly, nothing is torn. In fact my partial tear from last year actually seems to have healed, miraculously

It's tendinitis and tendinosis so bad I still can't flex, supinate or pronate and a bunch of other minor stuff all massively inflamed.

So I'm not quitting, but I am going to do like ID suggests and keep things in the much higher rep range. My legs looked GREAT when I was doing 50 rep rest-pause sets on the leg press, so I'll switch back to that and keep the bulk of my workouts as dumbbell and cable work.

I_D I've seen research where deca actually slowed collagen healing, so who knows, it may be just broscience. I'll stick to just TRT and try to keep E2 lower as apparently that doesn't help with healing either
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:28:15 PM by halfway »

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Good news.  Awesome.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Sounds good!  I have heard of a people talk about a peptide that is supposed to help with healing.  TB500 or something.  Dont know anything about it, or peptides in general.....but just thought I would throw out there.

https://thinksteroids.com/steroid-profiles/tb-500/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:14:00 PM by induced_drag »