Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 11052 times)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
Awesome session Greg! Very cool you and Andy can train together at such a sweet gym!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
Great session Greg, looking forward to Thursday

Thanks Andy.  I'm looking forward to it to.  I'm planning to get down there around 6pm.  If I beat you in I'll get started on my many squat sets. :)

Awesome session Greg! Very cool you and Andy can train together at such a sweet gym!

Thanks Shawn.  Yeah it's definitely cool to get to train there with Andy.  I had a blast the other night.  We literally wound up closing down the place...or at least Andy did. :D  I wound up cutting out around 8:30 and he was still going.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
Last night I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#31_Wk2_C):

Workout:
Squats   3-55, 3-145, 5-165, 4-195, 3-235, 2x2 @ 265, 3x2 @ 280, 2x3 @ 265

Bench Press w/ Duffalo Bar   5-55, 3-145, 4-155, 3-185, 4x3 @ 215

Superset:
SSB Squats (Pause on Box)   3-65, 3-155, 5-195, 4x5 @ 215
KB French Press 4x8 @ 44

Bodyweight: 214.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:17:18.95 h:mm:ss

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhfnj1nB64q

Another damn good workout.  My legs were a little sore going in but everything loosened up and squats felt good.  Nothing was too heavy but it all felt good.  My body seems to be healing up and getting stronger with the Sheiko so that's a win.

I'm enjoying working out at Untamed Strength.  There were a lot of strong dudes there last night and that gave me some motivation to work a little harder.  Long term I think that'll definitely pay dividends.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 180
« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »
Training around strong guys is definitely going to pay off. Unfortunately I just train solo. Training with stronger guys can only benefit you in the long rn.

Nice training Greg.

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
Great looking session Greg! Killer work coming back and hitting the SSB squats after the squats before that!
☻/
/ \

Offline Andrew

• Weight: 217
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
Nice work Greg, strong SSB's. I know after using that same bar, those are tough!

Next week is gonna be killer. Lets crush it
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
This morning I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#31_Wk3_B):

Pre-Workout:
Shoulder Rehab Exercises w/ Red Mini-Bands

Workout:
Deadlift (Up to Knee)   5-135, 3-225, 3-265, 3-315, 4x2 @ 355

Bench Press   5-45, 3-135, 5-155, 4-185, 3-215, 2x2 @ 250, 2x2 @ 265, 2x1 @ 280, 2x2 @ 265

3" Block Pulls  3-315, 3-355, 2x2 @ 395 (hook grip), 2x1 @ 425 (mixed grip)

Superset:
KB French Press   4x8 @ 35
Decline Situps   3x15

Bodyweight: 214.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:19:46.49 h:mm:ss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhjzKD_hd8U

Great workout today at Untamed Strength.  I started off doing a bunch of sets of bench.  The shoulders were a little sore but overall they are doing much better now.  This is the heaviest I've lifted in about a month, working up to a pair of singles at 280.  It went well.  I think I'm still on track to push for 303 or 308 at my meet next month so that is good.

Next I did sets of deadlifts up to the knee and worked up to 4 doubles at 355.  After that I did 3" block pulls and worked up to a pair of singles at 425.  I used hook grip for all sets leading up to the singles and that felt pretty good.  For my singles though I wussed out and used mix grip.  I focused on keeping the bar closer to my legs and that worked well, however, on the set in the video I allowed myself to get a little off balance and fell forward a little.  It didn't stop me from getting the lift but it is something I need to watch out for.

Great looking session Greg! Killer work coming back and hitting the SSB squats after the squats before that!

Thanks Shawn. :)  The SSBs after the squats were definitely tough.  They really work the quads and hips...man was I sore the next day.  Some stretching cleared that up though.  I really have come to like the SSBs.

Nice work Greg, strong SSB's. I know after using that same bar, those are tough!

Next week is gonna be killer. Lets crush it

Thanks Andrew. :)  Damn straight they're tough...but I really like them...especially once I'm done. :D

Definitely looking forward to next week.  I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be down there Monday or Tuesday, but I'll definitely be down there.
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »
Awesome session Greg, strong benching and pulls. Sound like hookgrip is almost primed and ready for a full transition!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
Last night I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#31_Wk3_C):

Pre-workout:
Shoulder Rehab with Red Mini Bands

Workout:
Bench Press   5-45, 3-135, 5-155, 4-185, 3-215, 4x2 @ 250

Squats   3-55, 3-145, 5-165, 4-200, 3-235, 4x3 @ 265

KB Back Raises   5x4 @ 44

DB  Side Laterals 4x6 @ 15

Bodyweight: 219.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:27:18.71 h:mm:ss

Good workout last night at Untamed Strength.  I tweaked my traps (on the left side) at some point over the weekend so I was a little nervous going into the workout but it loosened up as I went and felt OK.

Workout-wise it was a relatively light workout and was mainly a clock puncher.  At this stage of the Sheiko program I'm just accumulating sub-maximal volume.  Next week I think the weights start increasing a little to get ready for establishing some new maxes the following week.

I got to work out with Andy again so that was cool.  Watching him do his squats shows me that I've got some more work to do. :D

Awesome session Greg, strong benching and pulls. Sound like hookgrip is almost primed and ready for a full transition!

Thanks Shawn. :)  Yeah the hook grip is definitely coming along.  Really I probably could have used it for my singles too, but I was getting a weird feeling that a blister was forming on my thumbs...not on the side of the thumb that touches the bar but on the other side where your finger wraps around the thumb.  I didn't want to screw up my singles worrying about that so I went with mixed grip.  I imagine I'll build up some calluses on that side of my thumb eventually.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Weight: 180
« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
Solid fucking training sessions Greg. No coincidence you're killing these sessions now that you're in a new gym ;)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #280 on: April 17, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
Another great session Greg! Untamed strength is serving you well!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »
This morning I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#31_Wk3_A):

Pre-Workout Shoulder Rehab Exercises:
Red Mini Bands:

Workout:
Bench Press   5-45, 3-135, 5-155, 4-185, 3-215, 4x2 @ 255

Squats   3-45, 3-135, 5-165, 5-205, 3-235, 7-235, 4-235, 6-235, 2-235

Bench Press 4-170, 4-200, 3x4 @ 235

Incline DB BP   4x8 @ 30

Back Extensions   4x5 @ 50

Bodyweight: 216.4 Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:16:57.91 h:mm:ss

Good workout today.  It was the first workout in my home gym in about a week so that was good.  The only bummer there is that while I was not working out there a rat seems to have moved in...and left various dropping presents around.  I didn'r really care for that.  I've got a trap in place now and I'll have to go through this weekend and do a more thorough cleaning.

The bench is feeling better each session...the shoulders are almost back to normal.  My chest was sore today and it seems like benching every workout is definitely hitting the chest hard.  I kept the DB IBP light again just to avoid aggravating anything but I think I'll be able to bump that up soon.

I did my workouts out of order this time so this actually completes week 3 of this Sheiko cycle.  I'll start week 4 on Friday.

Solid fucking training sessions Greg. No coincidence you're killing these sessions now that you're in a new gym ;)

Thanks Anthony. :)  It definitely makes a difference to be working out around some serious lifters.  It was nice to workout at home today but I really feel more pumped after a workout at Untamed.

Another great session Greg! Untamed strength is serving you well!

Thanks Shawn. :)  It's definitely serving me well.  Unfortunately I've got so much stuff going on this week I don't think I'll be able to make it down there again until Sunday.  That's OK though, I'll get some workouts in at home in the meantime...just me and the Rat. :D
- Brian Shaw

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
This morning I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#31_Wk4_A):

Pre-Workout Shoulder Rehab Exercises:
Red Mini Bands:

Workout:

Squats   3-45, 3-135, 5-165, 4-200, 3-230, 5x3 @ 265

Bench Press  5-45, 3-135, 5-155, 4-185, 3-215, 4x2 @ 255

Incline DB BP   4x8 @ 40

Back Extensions   4x8 @ 50

Bodyweight: 218.0 Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:03:51.89 h:mm:ss

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhy0e-QBo-O

Great workout at home today.  Squats and bench both felt good.  My top working sets were only 80% of my 1RM so they're still not too heavy.  I'll be getting up to 85% on squats and 90% on bench and deadlift later this week though so that should be more challenging.  I'm looking forward to starting my peaking cycle next week.

On a side note, on Sunday I'm thinking about heading into Mark Bell's gym for a free Stan Efferding / Ed Coan seminar he is hosting.  I'm torn between that and hitting up a deadlift session at Alan Thrall's gym.  If I do the Mark Bell thing I'll just do my workout at home before the seminar...I won't have time to hit up both gyms...tough decision.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:42:12 AM by ptreyesgreg »
- Brian Shaw

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
Free seminar imo.  You can lift at Thrall's gym anytime and still deadlift at home. 

When's the meet Greg?
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »
Free seminar imo.  You can lift at Thrall's gym anytime and still deadlift at home. 

When's the meet Greg?

Yeah I think you’re right Dave.  The seminar is much more of a “special” event.  I think there will be some good info there.

My meet is 5/20, so exactly 1 month out.
- Brian Shaw