Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 14565 times)

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2018, 09:13:18 AM »
Good luck Greg!  When I was watching your SS meet, at first I thought you were sandbagging.  But remembering that you had another meet soon afterwards it all made sense.   Go smash some PRs man!

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
Good luck Greg! Smash some PR's and have fun!!
Y
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2018, 01:27:36 AM »
go crush some PR's man!! you got this
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Offline ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »
Yesterday I competed in the IronBornStrength USPA meet at the IronBornStrength gym in Yuba City.  Honestly it was a tough meet and not the great day I'd hoped for.  I still had fun though and slugged my way through it and did my best.

It was one of those days where everything feels heavy.  There are several possible reasons including overtraining with two meets in one month and being exposed to multiple people around me with the flu.  All of that is excuses and static as far as I'm concerned, though.  It was what it was, so I had to adapt and do my best.

My first attempt on squat was at 303 which should have been a no-brainer.  I wound up getting 2/3 red lights on.  They said I failed to lock my knees out...I'm not sure if it was at the beginning or end of lift.  In looking at the video I see a double-dip at the beginning so maybe that's what they were talking about.  In any case, I had to retake 303 for my second.   On my third I wound up scrapping my plans for 325.2 and went for a safe 308.6 and got it.  At this point my main goal was to break 1025 a total if I could.

Now it was on to bench which I thought was going to be the highlight of the meet for me.  I opened with 286.6 and that was pretty easy.  For my 2nd attempt I jumped up to 303.1.  There was a little miscommunication with my brother on the handoff and he let go a little early so I had to recover from that.  My right shoulder has been bugging me since I before the Super Training meet and during this lift something seemed to really tighten up in it.  If you watch the video I just lost the strength in my right side (which is weird because I'm right handed).  In any case the left side went up but the right side didn't and I failed the lift.  I took 303 again for my third attempt but couldn't get it.

At this point I was bummed.  I'm thinking the day is shot.  I barely got above my opener on squats and only got my opener on bench.  I wallowed in it for a little while then snapped out of it and realized my mind was messing with me and I needed to get it right mentally before deads.  I flipped the switch and treated deads like a new day.  I hit all 3 attempts on deads and my final attempt was a new PR of 429.9.

One of the things I love about powerlifting is the challenge of the meets.  There is strategy and strength involved, but there is also a huge aspect of dealing with adversity and sucking it up when things go south.  Being able to face that adversity, confront your failures, and get up and dust yourself off to keep on trying is well worth the entry fees.

Now I'm going to take at least 6 months off from competing again, keep my nose down, work on my weaknesses and nail it next time. :)

Here are my vids in lift order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKQnJc0L_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3mlrfDPZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwErN1LfX6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAAXMUWAjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT4Ukh1h9DM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b3B1Soc0ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGMmrSSCUvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_kdDSFmvlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6zYE6Ru80s

Good luck Greg!  When I was watching your SS meet, at first I thought you were sandbagging.  But remembering that you had another meet soon afterwards it all made sense.   Go smash some PRs man!

Thanks Ron. :)  That was an unusual meet for me in that it was a day where everything felt light.  I wish I would have pushed it a little harder there but I was trying to save myself a bit for yesterday's meet so I did play it conservative.

Good luck Greg! Smash some PR's and have fun!!
Y

Thanks Shawn. :)  It was challenging but I definitely had fun.  I failed to break 300 in the bench which was a big goal but I'll get it next time.  I'm happy with my deadlifts though...there was a big improvement there over my last full meet last year.

go crush some PR's man!! you got this

Thanks Andrew. :)  I did get one PR in deadlifts which is good.  Now that I've fixed my form issues there I think I have some real room for growth.  Now I just have to keep building up my squats and heal up for bench and I should be set for my next meet.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online Andrew

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2018, 11:12:52 AM »
Congrats on the meet, sounds like it was tough! great write up, and really cool that you were able to regroup and finish it with a PR on the deadlift. That was a tough call on the first squat, must of been the bounce at the set up right before starting the lift. A  lot of people seem to have a bit of a bounce at the start just from taking a big breath, I wonder if they would have called that too.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
Good show Greg.  Watched all vids.

Sometimes meets go like that.  Our last meet I got injured and Lisa only got her opener on bench too.

I can't see why you got red lights for that squat.  But you do know you don't have to do the same weight again, right.  You can still increase on your 2nd attempt if you missed for a technicality like missing a command or whatever.

Congrats on the DL PR.

Also why the heck is that woman given visual cues with her hand on the bench press when you can't see her???  LMAO
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
Nice work Greg.  Got up there and had a blast.  Comfortably over 1000 now too.  I really enjoyed that write up man. Some time off to recoup is a great idea.
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2018, 04:44:29 PM »
Well done Greg.  Way to recover on that DL PR.

Offline ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »
Congrats on the meet, sounds like it was tough! great write up, and really cool that you were able to regroup and finish it with a PR on the deadlift. That was a tough call on the first squat, must of been the bounce at the set up right before starting the lift. A  lot of people seem to have a bit of a bounce at the start just from taking a big breath, I wonder if they would have called that too.

Thanks Andrew. :)  Yeah really the only thing I can figure is it was that bounce.  Those judges were very tough this time.  There were a lot of red lights on squats across the board.  A few of the lifters were getting pretty upset about it.  It threw off my plan, but I'm glad I was able to finish the meet strong.

Good show Greg.  Watched all vids.

Sometimes meets go like that.  Our last meet I got injured and Lisa only got her opener on bench too.

I can't see why you got red lights for that squat.  But you do know you don't have to do the same weight again, right.  You can still increase on your 2nd attempt if you missed for a technicality like missing a command or whatever.

Congrats on the DL PR.

Also why the heck is that woman given visual cues with her hand on the bench press when you can't see her???  LMAO

Thanks Jim. :)  Yeah the challenge for me is letting a bad lift roll off me and have a short memory so it doesn't mess up my next attempt.

On the second attempt part of me wanted to stick to my plan and go up in weight.  Missing that first one, though, shook my confidence a little so I stuck with the same weight.  Also, when I called my next weight I still wasn't exactly sure what I had done wrong on that first attempt (hell I'm still not sure :D ) so I decided to stick with the same weight to be sure I got something and didn't bomb out.

That lady judge was something else.  She was friendly but man she loved giving the red lights.  I was laughing about those hand signals on the bench too.

Nice work Greg.  Got up there and had a blast.  Comfortably over 1000 now too.  I really enjoyed that write up man. Some time off to recoup is a great idea.

Thanks Dave. :)  Yeah even though things didn't go according to plan I still had a blast.  I got to spend the day with my brother and spend time around some strong lifters so that was cool.  I'm definitely going to regroup and build up and come back with a vengeance next time. :D

Well done Greg.  Way to recover on that DL PR.

Thanks Ron. :)  I was definitely happy with the deadlifts.  It just took a little adjustment to get my mind right and then it was all good.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
Glad you had a good time even though it didn't work out as planned Greg. Congrats on the DL PR!

Hope the shoulder is okay. Seems like most of us on here are rehabbing something at least once a year. The joys of getting older..... ::)
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Glad you had a good time even though it didn't work out as planned Greg. Congrats on the DL PR!

Hope the shoulder is okay. Seems like most of us on here are rehabbing something at least once a year. The joys of getting older..... ::)

Thanks Eric. :)  Ain't that the truth about rehabbing something as we get older. :D  I'm still not sure what happened on the bench.  I had hit 310 in training but my right arm and shoulder weren't having any of that 303 at the meet.  That's OK...I'm going to rest up for a few days and hopefully my shoulder will recover.  Then I'll get back after it and knock it out next time.
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
Great write up Greg! Know the bench troubles from my last meet as well. I lifted my ass on the second then no way could get the same weight on my third. Crappy about the nazi squat judging, looked good to me. Not the way you want to start the meet but you came back strong and finished it up with that beauty pull!
Congrats buddy, very solid day!
☻/
/ \

Offline ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
This morning I completed Kick Ass Powerbuilding (C29_Workout1A_KSC) as follows:

This program will combine aspects from 3 other well-known programs:

Andy Baker's KSC Method for Power Building
http://www.andybaker.com/a-plan-for-annual-periodization-part-2-june-december/

Extreme Powerbuilding: The Hepburn Method
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/extreme-powerbuilding-doug-hepburn.html

STronger in 30 Days - The Bench Press Cycle

Basically each microcycle will run for 2 weeks and will include 5 KSC workouts, 4 Hepburn workouts and 1 ST Bench workout.  There will be 3 microcycles in each cycle of the program.

And away we go...

Mulit-Grip OHP  5-45, 3-55, 3-70, 5-75, 3-85, 3x8 @ 90

Tri-set:
Seated DB OHP 8-35, 9-30, 8-30
DB Side Lat Raises  10-15, 10-15, 8-15
DB BOLR 10-15, 8-15, 10-15

Superset:
Fat Bar CGBP  3x5 @ 200
Tri Pusdowns  8-95, 8-85, 8-85

Superset:
Fat Bar CGBP  2x5 @ 200
KB French Press 10-40, 10-40, 8-40

Bodyweight: ??? Pounds (Didn't weigh)

Workout Duration: 46:59.46 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Damn good workout today.  I lasted 2 full days with my week off after the meet plan.  This morning felt pretty healed up so I decided to go ahead with my new program.  It is a multi-faceted program consisting of a mix of hypertrophy weeks and strength weeks.  It will use a variety of exercises to work on building up strength across my whole body.  Today's workout focused on OHP and then triceps.

My right tricep/shoulder was still a little sore from the meet so I kept the weights fairly low and focused on stretching the muscles out and getting some blood flow in there.  It felt good to do that.

Great write up Greg! Know the bench troubles from my last meet as well. I lifted my ass on the second then no way could get the same weight on my third. Crappy about the nazi squat judging, looked good to me. Not the way you want to start the meet but you came back strong and finished it up with that beauty pull!
Congrats buddy, very solid day!

Thanks Shawn. :)  Yeah the bench and squat were both rough but the overall experience wound up being good...mainly because of the deads. :D  Like you said about the bench, once a heavy rep goes bad it's very hard to get the momentum back for your next attempt.  I was happy to finally break 1025 in a meet although I was disappointed that my squat max and bench max were literally the exact same numbers I put up at my first meet in 8/2016.  That's OK, though, I'm going to keep on building up and next meet I'll kill it.  My new goal is 1100.
- Brian Shaw

Offline ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
This morning I completed Kick Ass Powerbuilding (C29_Workout1B_KSC) as follows:

Block Pulls 3-155, 3-205, 3-225, 3-245, 3-275, 3x8 @ 305

SSB Squats  3-135, 3x5 @ 185

Tri-set:
Hypers  3x15
Leg Curls 3x10 @ 50
Calf Raises 3x10 @ 185

Bodyweight: 210.4 Pounds

Workout Duration: 49:02.76 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Another good workout.  I'm very happy with this program so far.  It has some good variety and I'm able to focus well on a given area each day.
- Brian Shaw

Online Andrew

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2018, 12:38:09 AM »
are you doing your own programming?

cool how you can do SSB squats. I am really getting the itch to get one
☻/
/ \
Team RTS