Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 14681 times)

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
This morning I completed 531 1000% Bastardo Peak (C27_3C) as follows:

Superset:
Decline Bench Press   5-115, 4-125, 3-145, 2-195, 1-205, 5x2 @ 235
Deadlifts   3-155, 3-205, 3-245, 1-315, 4x3 @ 335

Quad-set:
Decline Bench Press   3x6 @ 195
Low Cable Rows   3x10 @ 130
DB OHP   3x8 @ 35
Ab Wheel 2x10

Bodyweight: 208.6 Pounds (Down 12.0 Pounds from 7/9) Ate BIG at Company Party last night :)

Workout Duration: 1:00:45.46 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good workout today.  Decline benches felt good and I did some lighter volume deads which felt good too.

I finished up this cycle of my meet prep program with this workout.  Now I'll be moving into my final peaking phase to head into my January meets.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »
Nice finish, bring on the Peak!!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
Great session, looking forward to the peak! Guess it's all competition lifts from here?
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
Yesterday morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_1A) as follows:

Tri-set:
Squats   3-135, 3-155, 3-190, 5-205, 5-235, 7-265 (5+), 2-280, 1-310
Band Facepulls   25, 25, 25, 25
Bench Press   5-115, 4-145, 3-175, 5x10 @ 190

Tri-set:
Safety Squat Bar   5-135, 5-155, 5-185, 5-205, 5-205
KB French Press      5x12 @ 50
DB Hammer Curls      5x10 @ 30

Bodyweight: 212.2 Pounds (Down 8.4 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 1:02:42.00 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good first workout of my peaking program.  For the next several weeks I will be focusing on working up to a max rep set on a primary lift (squat, bench, or DL) and then going for a heavy double and heavy single on that lift.  Then I'll move on to a lighter primary lift and some basic accessory work.  I think this will peak my strength and let me come into my meets without being too beat up.

This was my first workout to use my new SSB and I really enjoyed it.  I definitely feel a different focus than on my regular squats.  It seems to hit me more on my outer quads so hopefully that will add to my strength levels and pay some dividends down the road.

During the holidays my pre-meet bulk has been going full bore.  I'm going to slow it down now to keep from overshooting my mark of 220.

Nice finish, bring on the Peak!!

Thanks Andrew. :)  Yeah I had a mini-freakout this morning when I realized my push-pull meet is only a couple of weeks away.  Then I calmed down and reminded myself that things are going according to plan.  Now it's just time to buckle down and get ready to roll on 1/14.

Great session, looking forward to the peak! Guess it's all competition lifts from here?

Thanks Shawn. :)  I'm looking forward to it as well.  I've planned all my numbers out and everything in my training definitely looks doable.  Now it's just a matter of putting in the workouts and paying attention to diet and recovery and I'll be in good shape.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Online Andrew

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
Youíre gonna the max rep set first and then the heavy single or double? What is the thinking here? I would think doing the heavy single first would give a better gauge of where your strength is. If you do an AMRAP first then youíre doing your high intensity work in a fatigued state.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »
Youíre gonna the max rep set first and then the heavy single or double? What is the thinking here? I would think doing the heavy single first would give a better gauge of where your strength is. If you do an AMRAP first then youíre doing your high intensity work in a fatigued state.

Yeah Andrew, I can see why that is a little confusing.  Basically what I'm doing is the old 531 idea of joker sets.  So you do your AMRAP set followed by a couple of heavy singles and doubles.  The key for me here is that this is my 5's week so the weights on the max rep set are well below my 1RM.  As I get to my 1's week (and beyond) I'll eliminate the AMRAPs and just do the planned 1 rep followed by heavy singles.  When I'm 2 weeks out from my meet this should have me doing a final heavy rep that is equivalent to my 2nd attempt for that lift for the meet.  I've never been a huge fan of the AMRAP sets anyway but in this case the weight was so light that I went for it.
- Brian Shaw

Online Andrew

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
Got it, that makes sense thanks for refreshing my memory on 5/3/1, itís been awhile since I ran it. Seems like you do have a good taper built into your plan.  Go crush it man!

Probably a separate discussion but In a strength building phase, the idea of joker sets on 5/3/1 is interesting to me. It seems that the lifter would  basically build up fatigue with the work sets, and then go for some heavier high intensity sets. The pre-fatigue would therefore auto-regulate the high intensity sets to a lower load. To me, this seems to defeat the purpose, unless the goal is to simply get some more volume in. If the goal is to add more weight to the bar, I would think that swapping the order and doing joker sets first, followed by the higher rep work would be a better formula for driving up strength. Any thoughts on this?
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_1B) as follows:

Superset:
Deadlifts   3-155, 3-205, 3-245, 5-255, 5-295, 5-335, 2-355, 2-390
     Note: All sets were Conventional 4" Block Pulls
Tri Pressdowns   5x10 @ 75

Superset:
Deficit Deadlifts   3x5 @ 255 (FSL)
     Note: All sets were done with a 1.75" Deficit
OHP   6-65, 6-75, 6-85

Superset:
Bent Over Rows   15-155, 10-205, 8-227
OHP   3x6 @ 95

Superset:
Bent Over Rows   8-237, 9-237, 10-205
Low Cable Rows Wide Grip   10-145, 12-145, 10-145

Bodyweight: 210.6 Pounds (Down 10.0 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 1:07:28.60 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Excellent workout today.  It is a 5's week so the weights on Deadlifts were fairly light.  I didn't go for AMRAP on my set of 5 @ 335.  I really don't like doing AMRAP on deads and I also kept to my plan for jokers and didn't go too heavy...just did a double at 390.  I then did 3x5 at FSL for some deficit deads.  These also felt great and very light but did a good job of stretching my hammies.

I added OHP back in for the first time in a long time and my shoulders felt good.  Along with that I did a bunch of bent over rows and low cable rows and my back and bis both had a pump after that.

Depending upon family commitments this weekend I'm hoping to do either a Saturday workout at Untamed Strength or a Sunday workout at Super Training. :)

Got it, that makes sense thanks for refreshing my memory on 5/3/1, itís been awhile since I ran it. Seems like you do have a good taper built into your plan.  Go crush it man!

Probably a separate discussion but In a strength building phase, the idea of joker sets on 5/3/1 is interesting to me. It seems that the lifter would  basically build up fatigue with the work sets, and then go for some heavier high intensity sets. The pre-fatigue would therefore auto-regulate the high intensity sets to a lower load. To me, this seems to defeat the purpose, unless the goal is to simply get some more volume in. If the goal is to add more weight to the bar, I would think that swapping the order and doing joker sets first, followed by the higher rep work would be a better formula for driving up strength. Any thoughts on this?

I think you're right about the conflict there and I think that's one of the reason why Wendler seemed to backtrack so much on the Joker idea.  I've seen many places where he said he regretted ever recommending that idea.  For the most part he really advocates doing sub-maximal work and only pushing 1RM at meets and never in training.  The only maxes he really seems to advocate doing are rep maxes all with a low Training Max.  I can understand that philosophically but practically I don't think it works real well for me for PL.  I don't want the first time I've felt a heavy weight to be on the platform.  Because of this I plan to do basically what you're saying...eliminate my AMRAP sets on my 3's and 1's weeks and just do the prescribed reps there as a warmup leading into my heaviest (joker) sets.  The way I have it set up I'm also using a 5 week cycle for this peak instead of the usual 3 week cycle.  This allows me to keep building towards a peak on my lifts.  On week 4 my max sets (top set and then jokers) are 100.0%, 102.5%, and 107.5% and week 5 they are 105.0%, 107.5%, and 110.0% of my Training Max.  That's why I'm calling it Bastardo...I'm basically disregarding the idea of sub-maximal work for my peak and am taking myself up closer to my maxes.  I'm using the pieces of 531 that I like (mainly the program layout) but am also using heavier weights which are not part of the program.  I think it'll put me in a good spot for my full meet especially.
- Brian Shaw

Online Andrew

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
thats cool how you are taking 5/3/1 and modifying it into a customized program for yourself. I agree in the value of handling high intensity loads inb training prior to the meet. It makes sense to train how you will compete. Also a lot to be said for learning how to grind. That is a skill in itself too.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
Untamed Strength, Supertraining.  sounds like a fun weekend.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »
thats cool how you are taking 5/3/1 and modifying it into a customized program for yourself. I agree in the value of handling high intensity loads inb training prior to the meet. It makes sense to train how you will compete. Also a lot to be said for learning how to grind. That is a skill in itself too.

Yeah at this point I'm just taking things that I know have worked for me and keeping those in and chunking things that don't work out.  I have a pretty good feel for how far I can push myself too without overdoing it so that is nice.  I didn't have that before and I was always winding up injured.  I guess self-regulation is an acquired skill. :)

Untamed Strength, Supertraining.  sounds like a fun weekend.

Definitely.  It's looking like it'll be Untamed Strength on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to it.  I always have great workouts when I go there.
- Brian Shaw

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
This morning I completed 531 Bastardo Peak (C28_1C) as follows:

Superset:
Bench Press   3-115, 3-145, 2-175, 5-190, 5-215, 5-245, 2-265, 1-285
DB BOLR      5x10 @ 15

SlingShot BP   3-285, 3-300 (vid below)

Superset:
CGBP   3x8 @ 190
SSB Squats   3-135, 3-155, 3-190, 5x5 @ 205 (FSL) (Set 1 vid below)

Lying Tri Extensions   10-60, 8-60, 10-60

Superset:
KB French Press   2x12 @ 50
Hypers   2x15

Bodyweight: 210.6 Pounds (Down 10.0 Pounds from 7/9)

Workout Duration: 1:21:22.39 mm:ss (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Great workout today.  On bench I worked up to a heavy set of 285 which was my planned max for the week.  I then moved on to a couple of triples with my new "original" SlingShot.  After that I did some CGBP and other triceps accessories.  I also did a 5x5 @ FSL weight on the SSB.  All in all I got some good work in today.  It is still 5's week so nothing was too heavy but it all felt effective.

I wound up having to skip out on Untamed Strength today...just too much to do around the house so I did my workout in the home gym today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdVUNwXHxeb

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdVWhTQHmRs
- Brian Shaw

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
Super jelly you have an SSB bar at home. It's on my wish list!
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »
Excellent work Greg, strong benching and SS work. Jelli as well of that SSB! Dying to try those!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
Super jelly you have an SSB bar at home. It's on my wish list!

Yeah John, it's definitely been a good addition to the arsenal.  It allows me to get more volume in without bugging my shoulders.  I'm really feeling it more in quads too which is nice.

Excellent work Greg, strong benching and SS work. Jelli as well of that SSB! Dying to try those!

Thanks Shawn.  Yeah the benching has been good lately.  I'm hoping to wind up over 300 for my full meet at the end of January.

The SSB is really cool.  The one I got is from Titan and was not very expensive so I wasn't sure how good it would be, but it's been great.  With it I'm able to get more volume in without aggravating my shoulders.  It also has me squatting more upright which I like...less strain on the low back and hips.  It reminds me of front squats, but much more comfortable.
- Brian Shaw