Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 9039 times)

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2018, 12:04:18 AM »
I was just watching Mark Bell's video about his seminar and Ed Coan's deadlifting advice and realized that I made the video with my question about deficits and block pulls. :)

https://youtu.be/uGM3P8igPCo?t=1354
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #301 on: April 27, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
Nice.  Great to see that you went.  How was it?
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Nice.  Great to see that you went.  How was it?

It was great.  The line was long as hell to get in and it was much more crowded than I'd hoped, but it was definitely worth it.  I learned a lot and it was awesome just to hear advice from those guys.  The main thing I learned was that I need to focus on tightening up much more on my squats.  Stan Efferding and Jesse Burdick had advice on that which I hadn't heard before.  Stan talked about tightening up and then pretending like the floor is pulling you down on your descent and pushing against that with your body.  It's hard to explain but it's similar to using your lats to pull the bar down when you're benching.  There was a lot of good stuff there.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 180
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2018, 11:17:11 AM »
I was just watching Mark Bell's video about his seminar and Ed Coan's deadlifting advice and realized that I made the video with my question about deficits and block pulls. :)

Damn man that's pretty damn cool. They really went in depth on your question.

Offline Andrew

• Weight: 217
« Reply #304 on: April 28, 2018, 12:40:42 AM »
good job Greg, you got them to elaborate some great info on the deadlift assistance stuff!

BTW-I'll be at Untamed M, T, TH again next week. Hope we can get the timing to workout and get some sessions in
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
Saturday morning I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#32_Wk1_B):

Pre-Workout:
Shoulder Rehab Exercises w/ Red Mini-Bands

Workout:

Squats   3-45, 3-165, 3-200, 2-230, 1-265, 1-295, 1-315, 1-335 (vid), 1-345 (a little high)

Bench Press   3-45, 3-155, 3-185, 2-225, 1-245, 1-275, 1-305 (vid), Fail at 320

Bodyweight: 215.6 Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:02:00.00 h:mm:ss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiHjWRlhr2v

Yesterday morning I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#32_Wk1_C):

Pre-workout:
Shoulder Rehab with Red Mini Bands

Workout:

4" Block Pulls  3-225, 3-260, 2-315, 1-345, 1-385, 1-430 (vid), Fail at 455, 1-445 (vid)

Bench Press   3-45, 3-155, 3-185, 3-215, 4x2 @ 230

Superset:
Incline DB BP   4x6 @ 40
KB Back Raises   4x8 @ 50

Bodyweight: ??? Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:06:59.98 h:mm:ss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiKNzlQBYCr

On Saturday and Sunday I did some testing as part of my Sheiko program.  On squats the max I did was 345 but that rep was high.  The weight didn't feel terrible so next time I should be able to get it and I'll focus on hitting depth.

For bench I did a solid rep at 305 with a pause at top and bottom.  The previous week I hit a max touch and go of 315 so I tried for 320 but that wasn't in the cards at this session.  With this 305, though, I feel like I should hit 303 at my comp with no issues.

For deads I continued with my block pulls to save my hips for the comp.  I worked up to 430 with the hook grip.  I then jumped to 455 and switched to mixed grip.  Somehow I lost tightness on that rep and only lifted it a few inches.  I decided to drop back to 445 and made that rep...it was a bit of a grinder but I locked it out.

Now it's back to some sub-maximal tapering work leading into my meet.

Damn man that's pretty damn cool. They really went in depth on your question.

Yeah Anthony, that was definitely a cool experience.  I was curious about their thoughts on the block pulls and deficits since I tend to do a lot of those and they all seemed to be in favor of doing them.  Overall I picked up some good tips for all of the big 3 lifts.

good job Greg, you got them to elaborate some great info on the deadlift assistance stuff!

BTW-I'll be at Untamed M, T, TH again next week. Hope we can get the timing to workout and get some sessions in

Thanks Andrew. :)  It was definitely some good info there.

I'm shooting to come down to Untamed on Tuesday and Thursday this week.  Thursday will really depend on my load at work but Tuesday I'll definitely be there.  I'll see you then.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:50:17 AM by ptreyesgreg »
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »
Looks like u are building some good strength this prep Greg! Strong lifts all around! Looking forward to your meet!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »
Looks like u are building some good strength this prep Greg! Strong lifts all around! Looking forward to your meet!

Thanks Shawn. :)  It feels like I'm on a good path now.  I wish I would have given Sheiko a try with my prep for previous meets.  It really has a good feel to it.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
So those test clips on IG and was like "fuck yeah man" my wife turns around and says "who are you talking to" lol.

Good work Greg. I love your approach with just putting your chin down and putting in the hard work.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Last night I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#32_Wk2_A):

Squats   3-55, 3-145, 3-175, 3-205, 3-240, 4x2 @ 275

Bench Press   5-55, 3-155, 3-185, 3-215, 5x2 @ 245

Squats   3-190, 3-235, 3x2 @ 260

Incline DB BP   4x8 @ 40

KB Back Raises   4x4 @ 60

Bodyweight: ??? Pounds

Workout Duration: 1:32:39.38 h:mm:ss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQfTpyhzXc

Great workout last night at Untamed Strength.  I did a lot of sets of squats with one session of squats, then bench, then another session of squats.  I switched back to my Vans for this session from my squat shoes and I really felt more stable and in a better position in the hole.  I think I'll stick with them heading into my meet.

I tweaked my right shoulder sleeping somehow and it has felt bruised and painful for a couple of days now.  I was still able to bench and squat with no issues with it though so I'm not too worried about it.

It was cool to see Andy in there again pulling some big deads as usual.  I'll be sad when his time in Auburn is up...it's been good to see him in there working out.

So those test clips on IG and was like "fuck yeah man" my wife turns around and says "who are you talking to" lol.

Good work Greg. I love your approach with just putting your chin down and putting in the hard work.

Thanks Anthony. :)  Yeah I'm hoping my plugging away keeps on working and keeps paying dividends.  It seems like my strength is consistently rising now so I'll keep going down that path.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Andrew

• Weight: 217
« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Nice lifting Greg. Funny how Alan caught you benching with the squat bar..haha. Always great lifting with you down there. After you left this guy Dave showed up. His IG tag is @thebarbellresistance. The dude was funny as hell, turns out hes a PL coach too. We were chatting it up for awhile listening to weird music and lifting heavy. I really like Untamed

Hope that shoulder clears up quick.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:30:58 AM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »
Nice lifting Greg. Funny how Alan caught you benching with the squat bar..haha. Always great lifting with you down there. After you left this guy Dave showed up. His IG tag is @thebarbellresistance. The dude was funny as hell, turns out hes a PL coach too. We were chatting it up for awhile listening to weird music and lifting heavy. I really like Untamed

Hope that shoulder clears up quick.

Thanks Andy. :)  It was definitely a good session.  Yeah it was funny when Alan asked me about the squat bar...he had that look on his face like I was a "poor simple minded soul". :D

I'll have to keep my eyes out for Dave.  I looked at his IG page and don't recognize him but I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.

Yeah the shoulder is more of an aggravating thing than anything else...so far it hasn't affected my lifts so that's good.  Somehow I always manage to injure myself by sleeping wrong.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »
You normally squatted in heeled shoes if I'm not mistake right?

I can't squat in my Adipowers. Well correction, I can but like my Chucks better.

Nice session Greg.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
This morning I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#32_Wk2_B):

Pre-workout:
Shoulder Rehab with Red Mini Bands

Workout:

Deadlift (up to knees)  3-225, 3-265, 3x1 @ 315

Bench Press   5-45, 3-155, 3-185, 3-215, 2x2 @ 245, 3x1 @ 260

Deadlift (from floor) 3-225, 2x2 @ 265, 3x1 @ 315, 5x3 @ 355 (final 3 sets as 4" block pulls)

Decline Situps 3x10

Bodyweight: 215.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 0:58:40.78 h:mm:ss

Good tough workout today.  In typical Sheiko fashion I did a DL variant (up to knees), did bench, and then did more deads.  For my second round of deads, I started pulling from the floor.  After my second set of 3 at 355, though, my back started to feel tight so I did the final 3 sets from my 4" blocks using straps.

You normally squatted in heeled shoes if I'm not mistake right?

I can't squat in my Adipowers. Well correction, I can but like my Chucks better.

Nice session Greg.

I've gone back and forth on shoes for squats.  I've primarily used Vans or Chucks but starting a few months ago I switched to using my squat shoes.  After using my Vans again last session, though, I realize that I'm much more comfortable and balanced in them so I'll probably keep going that route.  My depth feels better in them too.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »
Hope the back thing is nothing serious. That looks like a brutal training session. Those brutal ones only make us stronger though.

I was like for with switching back and forth with my Chucks and Adipowers. I feel a lot better in flat shoes vs the Adipowers.