Author Topic: 2017 comeback tour  (Read 2423 times)

Offline halfway

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 230
Re: 2017 comeback tour
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »

As the proud new owner of a 3 car garage it's time to start building up my home gym again. I had to sell a LOT of it in the move, I'm down to the rack, hammer leg press, hammer iso row and dumbbells up to 110 (we had a hard weight limit on the move)

Interesting choice for what to keep and what to sell. At any rate, patience and Craigslist will get you fully outfitted in less than a year I bet.

Those hammer pieces were super rare on CL and I got amazing deals on them so I figured keep them

I moved 10 x jade plates too and my ivanko rubber 25s :)

110 x 10 db press 3 days ago, now sick:(

Happy.xmas to.everyone!!

Offline halfway

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 12:06:39 AM »
2017 is over but there's no point making another journal just for these sporadic updates

My left hip is pretty fucked, my new ortho specializes in FAI scope bone shaving and was amazed when he saw my Xrays - he actually asked me 'did you have surgery on this hip?'

It turns out the last surgeon didnt take very much bone out at all, and looking at xrays from before and right after surgery it's really obvious, just I never thought to look at it closely. The new ortho said my hip is 'the worst he's ever seen' - bar one other patient who doesn't lift weights, so not really a valid comparison.

I'm likely going under the knife again sometime this year since I've had 2 cortisone shots and still cant walk without pain.

Suprisingly I can squat just fine, I bought an Edge SSB since my shoulder is still fucked from my car accident, and I really like it.

Workouts have been utter shit due to pain etc BUT I just pause pressed the 120's for 7 reps, the most I've done in 2 long-ass years. I really think I might be able to get back to pause pressing the 120's for 10+ if this continues. My car accident really fucked me up, and everything still hurts, but at least I'm able to press again.

Before going back to pause benching I was cutting about 2" off the ROM at the bottom - now it's as full as I can do, touching my shoulders, and the reps are finally legit again. Feels good

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »
what car crash? Is this new?
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline halfway

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »
what car crash? Is this new?

12 months back I got rear ended at high speed by an old Chinese man in a minivan, totaled my car, turned my L5 into pulp and tore up my 6 month old shoulder repair.

Had to have my shoulder re-repaired, the irony is I was actually on my way to see my ortho the morning that the old dude decided to run into me.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
Wasn't aware of that.  Wow.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2018, 12:31:00 PM »
Man that sucks!   

On a joint health note, I know you have struggled.   I have gym buddy SUPER my size guy in his early 50's, who has no shoulder should cartilage left.   They told him to shoulder replacement was his only choice at this point.   He has seen 3 or 4 docs for opinions including the one that does all out pro football guys.  He got to where he could no longer do even light work.

Anyway, I shared with him that I heard cissus helped with joints and joint pain.   Fast forward a month, he started taking cissus and glucosamine and he came up to me the other day and said he cant believe it.   His pain is completely gone and he is actually working shoulders again.  He said he feels so good he almost was tempted to do heavy OHP, but figured it was not the best idea and is sticking with dumbells.

So......I said....wtf, I give all this advice and dont follow it sometimes.   I ordered cissus and glucosamine and started a week again.   I want to see if it will help with my shoulder......

Just throwing it out there.    Good to see you still working it!

Offline halfway

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »
Thanks i_d, I'm trying cissus and turmeric and fish oil and hopefully every little bit helps.

Shoulder has been so so but apparently I'm looking at a hip replacement or resurfacing in a decade +/- according to my new ortho.

Comparing my CT scans from 2 years ago at least shows that things haven't changed in the joint since 2015, so he might be wrong, but apparently it's pretty bad in there :(

Managed to pause press the 120s for 8 on a low low incline yesterday, immediately into a drop for 8 more paused reps with the 80s. I'm trying this instead of multiple sets with the 120s

I use the situp bench to incline press on since the wide back feels much more stable as a base, and its low off the floor. But twice now I've had to wait for 30 mins while this same dude works up to decline pressing the 80s loudly grunting on every damn rep and looking around after so everyone knows what a badass he is. Really annoying.

I made a point of warming up with alternate arm pause-pressing the 80s while he strutted around like hes Mark Henry but I doubt he got the point