Author Topic: Andrew's Big 3 Journal  (Read 40611 times)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Andrew's Big 3 Journal
« Reply #1035 on: January 27, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
Paused deads looking gear buddy, and those presses were strong! High rep deficit SLDL's must have torched the PC!  Tough session!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #1036 on: January 27, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »
That's a shit ton of weight there Andrew. It certainly doesn't seem like much but when you add it up... Paused deads are definitely looking good. What are your coaches saying about your form? It looks fairly good to me but then again? :dunno:
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #1037 on: January 27, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
Some awesome work going on in here Andy!

Thanks Dave. For the next 2 weeks Iíll be running a pivot/deload
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1038 on: January 27, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
Paused deads looking gear buddy, and those presses were strong! High rep deficit SLDL's must have torched the PC!  Tough session!

Yeah, feeling it today a bit. I don't get super sore anymore but i get drained. More of a general fatigued type of feeling. Starting Monday we decided to run a pivot/deload for 2wks to drop the fatigue and then run another development block. My coach isn't 100% sure that we determined TTP accurately in my last block. We are going to keep an eye on it during the next block. But it appears my TTP is possibly about 4 weeks.

That's a shit ton of weight there Andrew. It certainly doesn't seem like much but when you add it up... Paused deads are definitely looking good. What are your coaches saying about your form? It looks fairly good to me but then again? :dunno:

Thanks Rich, yeah my overall volume has been pretty good. Another way that i'm accumulating volume is my warm ups. I havent been posting them, but they have me doing what i consider to be a lot of warm ups. Here is my typical warm ups:

5x30%
5x50%
5x60%
3x70%

the idea is that warm ups are the best way to prepare for the work sets (rather than a lot of time wasted stretching, etc), and they are also a way to accumulate volume which helps build strength.

As for the deadlifts, Ross says i'm on the right track but to keep working on winning the set up battle and getting my back more flat. I am getting a lot better at taking the slack out rather than yanking the bar. Last night when working warm ups, i was still floating the weights off the floor all the way up to 315lbs with just setting my back and putting my chest up. check out this video at 315 and look closely at the bottom of the plates where they contact the floor. You can see the plates just slightly come off the floor when i set my back, before i even start the pull. Ross says typically lifters can float about 50% of their 1RM, so watch out....630lbs will be all mine soon enough  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XDC1y1_fnw

☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #1039 on: January 28, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
Looks like plenty of volume to me.  Heavy DLs in there too.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #1040 on: January 29, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »

As for the deadlifts, Ross says i'm on the right track but to keep working on winning the set up battle and getting my back more flat. I am getting a lot better at taking the slack out rather than yanking the bar. Last night when working warm ups, i was still floating the weights off the floor all the way up to 315lbs with just setting my back and putting my chest up. check out this video at 315 and look closely at the bottom of the plates where they contact the floor. You can see the plates just slightly come off the floor when i set my back, before i even start the pull. Ross says typically lifters can float about 50% of their 1RM, so watch out....630lbs will be all mine soon enough  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XDC1y1_fnw

That is awesome Andrew.  I watched that video and  can see that "float".  I watched an old Super Training/Chris Duffin video where he talked about that too.  I'm still looking for that elusive float myself. :D

What kind of bar are you using now for deadlifts?  I am interested because your coach telling you to ditch the OHPB kind of reinforces my "back of the mind" idea that I should use something beside my TPB.  I have been considering trying something like the Rogue Castro bar...but I feel like the aggressive TPB knurl helps on the heavy sets...it just kills the hands though.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1041 on: January 29, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
What kind of bar are you using now for deadlifts?  I am interested because your coach telling you to ditch the OHPB kind of reinforces my "back of the mind" idea that I should use something beside my TPB.  I have been considering trying something like the Rogue Castro bar...but I feel like the aggressive TPB knurl helps on the heavy sets...it just kills the hands though.

Right now i'm using my OHPB for all the deadlift work with straps, and until i get a deadlift bar i'll use my other bar for the strapless stuff. I like the OHPB because it has less slop in the bushings. My other bar is 28mm, with a more gentle knurl. Easier on the hands but the bushings have a fair amount of play. Not sure what type of bar it is, i got it with my weights off craigslist.

I asked him for a deadlift bar recommendation and he said it depends on which federation you plan to compete in. I told him my long term plan was to compete in USAPL. I'll let you know what he comes back with, but it will no doubt be a stiffer bar, because USAPL uses the same bar for all 3 lifts.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #1042 on: January 29, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »

Right now i'm using my OHPB for all the deadlift work with straps, and until i get a deadlift bar i'll use my other bar for the strapless stuff. I like the OHPB because it has less slop in the bushings. My other bar is 28mm, with a more gentle knurl. Easier on the hands but the bushings have a fair amount of play. Not sure what type of bar it is, i got it with my weights off craigslist.

I asked him for a deadlift bar recommendation and he said it depends on which federation you plan to compete in. I told him my long term plan was to compete in USAPL. I'll let you know what he comes back with, but it will no doubt be a stiffer bar, because USAPL uses the same bar for all 3 lifts.

Very cool.  Yeah I've been using either versa-style grips or the Gorilla Grip gloves for my warm ups (to save my hands) and the TPB for the heavier sets because it has much less slop too.  I'm considering getting a new bar at some point so I'd be very curious what your coach recommends so I appreciate you passing that info on.  I mainly lift in the USPA which uses a Deadlift Bar (Texas DB mainly) so I'm considering that or a OH DB but I like the idea of training with a stiffer bar and only using the Deadlift bar at meets.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1043 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »

Very cool.  Yeah I've been using either versa-style grips or the Gorilla Grip gloves for my warm ups (to save my hands) and the TPB for the heavier sets because it has much less slop too.  I'm considering getting a new bar at some point so I'd be very curious what your coach recommends so I appreciate you passing that info on.  I mainly lift in the USPA which uses a Deadlift Bar (Texas DB mainly) so I'm considering that or a OH DB but I like the idea of training with a stiffer bar and only using the Deadlift bar at meets.

haha...no relief in sight...he responded back if i'm going to compete USAPL to just keep using the Rogue Ohio Power Bar. He said to just work up to the top set strapless, and do everything else (down sets, and assistance lifts) with the straps to save the hands. One thing he told me is i probably wont see anymore sets of 6 so that could be a good thing. Thinking back on it, it really is those last few reps on a high rep set where my hands just start hurting like hell.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1044 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »
C1W9D1
1-29-18
Pivot Block

Highbar squat, beltless
235x10 @7
245x10 @7.5

530 Tempo Highbar squat
245x5 @7.5
255x5 @8 vid
255x5 @8.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/BejkYUeHp_p/?taken-by=ahpowerlifts

20 min Circuit, as many reps/sets as possible

Barbell Split Squat (each leg)
barx7
75x7
85x7
95x7
105x7

Parallel handle t-bar row
(pwo)
45x10
80x8
80x8
80x8

OHP
barx10
75x8
85x8
95x7

this conditioning will do me some good. I felt out of shape doing timed sets with minimal rest
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:57:55 PM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1045 on: January 30, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
New programming! Sweet, great job on the tempo paused squats. Is the circuit consider "GPP"? How many sessions a week do you have these?
Love the split squats, great exercise!
☻/
/ \

Online reduni

« Reply #1046 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:58 PM »
Those tempo squats looked tight Andrew. Right on point.  You're a better man than I am for doing split squats. Do you have your foot raised? My balance just sucks for those. That and I just hate them.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1047 on: January 30, 2018, 10:32:28 PM »
New programming! Sweet, great job on the tempo paused squats. Is the circuit consider "GPP"? How many sessions a week do you have these?
Love the split squats, great exercise!

Yeah, it was time for a pivot block so i can drop some fatigue and work some conditioning too. I was red-lining on TRAC for a few weeks straight leading up to this. I dont think this is GPP, this is just my pivot work. I'll be doing this for 2 weeks and then back to the fun stuff. My coach said he doesnt program GPP, he encourages his athletes to go do fun stuff for GPP (he goes snowboarding). I've been going on hikes every Sunday. I want to start dirtbiking again on weekends for my GPP soon. Good to work in fun stuff to clear the head

Those tempo squats looked tight Andrew. Right on point.  You're a better man than I am for doing split squats. Do you have your foot raised? My balance just sucks for those. That and I just hate them.

thanks Rich, those tempo squats went pretty good. For the split squats, i am not raising my back foot. It is on the ground. I have a hard time balancing too, which is why i kept it so light. I agree, they suck bad
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:37:45 PM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline Andrew

« Reply #1048 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »
C1W9D2
1-29-18

Feet Up Bench
155x10 @7
165x10 @7.5

530 Tempo Feet Up Bench
150x5 @8
155x5 @8
165x5 @8.5

last set at 165 was a little less than 5 tempo on the decent. Need to slow it down even more.

20 min Circuit, as many reps/sets as possible

2" Deficit SLDL
135x10
185x10
225x10
225x10

Feet Up Bench
165x8
165x8
165x8
165x8

Band Assist Pull Up (monster green band)
x7
x7
x7
x7
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online reduni

« Reply #1049 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
Nice work Andrew. 5 count down on bench is a long time. What seems to take forever is really a fraction of the time.