Author Topic: Overnight Oats  (Read 1835 times)

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Overnight Oats
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »
These have probably been around for a while, however I just started doing these....and holy crap are they delicious.  Easy prep and makes oatmeal so much better!

http://backtoherroots.com/2016/03/07/8-classic-overnight-oats-recipes-you-should-try/
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
Re: Overnight Oats
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:29:45 AM »
I've tried a few of these before but I much prefer steel cut oats versus rolled oats.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:32:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of these.  And I have found that I don't need to keep them in the fridge all night.  I've prepared them in the morning, let them sit for about 40 minutes, and they are just fine.

I make basic ones, with greek yogurt, skim milk, oats, and frozen blueberries.  Sometimes I'll put a drop of vanilla or almond extract, but I don't ever find I need to sweeten them.  The berries are sweet enough for me.

I keep meaning to try them with Chia seeds.

Great breakfast!
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online Get-n-fit

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:54:31 AM »
I've tried a few of these before but I much prefer steel cut oats versus rolled oats.
I don't think I've ever tried steel cut...or even seen them in the grocery store.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online Get-n-fit

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:03:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of these.  And I have found that I don't need to keep them in the fridge all night.  I've prepared them in the morning, let them sit for about 40 minutes, and they are just fine.

I make basic ones, with greek yogurt, skim milk, oats, and frozen blueberries.  Sometimes I'll put a drop of vanilla or almond extract, but I don't ever find I need to sweeten them.  The berries are sweet enough for me.

I keep meaning to try them with Chia seeds.

Great breakfast!

I like the overnight part bc it thickens up kind of like ice cream by morning.   I haven't tried any with berries yet.  I tried the chocolate PB a few times (yum) and last night I made one with an orange flavored greek yogurt and it turned out great.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
Looks yummy, but that would be a large carb load and pretty well out of balance from a meal standpoint.   Along with 6 eggs it might come close to balancing out though.

Not nearly enough fat or protein (or fat for that matter) in there for me.  (I try to keep a good macro balance in all my meals.  Not really much better for you than eating a big bowl of plain old box breakfast cereal.

Now add in some whey....and maybe some PB or whole milk, or more nuts..... and that balances it out a little better.  But then again....I have issues ;)

Online Get-n-fit

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
Looks yummy, but that would be a large carb load and pretty well out of balance from a meal standpoint.   Along with 6 eggs it might come close to balancing out though.

Not nearly enough fat or protein (or fat for that matter) in there for me.  (I try to keep a good macro balance in all my meals.  Not really much better for you than eating a big bowl of plain old box breakfast cereal.

Now add in some whey....and maybe some PB or whole milk, or more nuts..... and that balances it out a little better.  But then again....I have issues ;)

Oh yeah, it's not a meal replacement....I just eat this instead of regular oats for breakfeast.  I also have half a dozen eggs and sausage.  What's nice is I can eat my eggs and sausage at home and then take the oats to work and eat them at work when I get there...saves me a little time in the morning when rushing around getting myself and the kids ready.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:59:01 AM by Get-n-fit »
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Overnight Steel-Cut Oats
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 06:20:19 PM »
Here you go, Fellers - overnight steel-cut or Irish oats.  Rather decadent, with whiskey butter.  From one of my fave bloggers, The View From Great Island.  http://theviewfromgreatisland.com/overnight-steel-cut-oats-with-whiskey-butter/

Serves 2 generously

INGREDIENTS

3 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup steel cut oats

whiskey butter
1 stick, 1/2 cup, unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 ounce Irish whiskey
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or the seeds of 1/2 a vanilla bean, or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)

INSTRUCTIONS

Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the salt, and take off the heat.
Stir in the oats, and blend well. Cover and set aside for 6 hours, or overnight.
In the morning, reheat the oatmeal with some cream or milk if you like. Stir until hot and thick.
Serve with extra milk or cream, some brown sugar, and a pat of whiskey butter.
To make the whiskey butter cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the whiskey and vanilla until everything is smoothly combined.
Spoon the butter into a crock or cup and refrigerate until firm.

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online Get-n-fit

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »
Will definitely try,  sounds delicious!
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat