Author Topic: Southern Mass Blast 2016 - August (completed)  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
Southern Mass Blast 2016 - August (completed)
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment here to chat about the event, especially for those of you who are new to Powerlifting and/or maybe considering trying a meet out.

I did the SMB 2 in 2015 as my first meet. I also did the SMB 3 (2016) as my third push/pull meet.

The SMB is a meet that is just full of beginners who have never competed and are absolutely out of their element when it comes to competing. However, everyone there is nothing short of awesome in regards to support and help. As a first meet or first couple of meets, this is the place to go.

Alex/Deralta, puts on a great meet and it's just a pile of fun. Being this the entire atmosphere is for new competitors, it is full of family and friends and, it's just an all day cheering sessions. Pretty darn fun. I am soo glad I did not skip this meet for a full competition elsewhere... as I would have been a bit to experienced to come back, as it is for new lifters. I think limited for the most part to people with 1-3 meets under their belt -- outside of filling in open spots if they have them.

Being my third meet, I was an expert :) haha.. seriously, the amount of trivial questions that are asked are insane. I was one of them last year, but this year, people asking when to warm up, can the thumb loops on their wrist wraps be used, do they let you count down on the bench hand off, do they tell  you to lift the deadlift when you are up there (I can't hear him say anything, do they say anything??).. I mean, it's awesome. I was one of these people last year... and it's just a blast to have been a part of it as a competitor twice. You will make a few 'meet friends' (I have a few new ones on FB now.. lol).

It is one of the most friendly and supportive environments you could ask for. Ask anyone anything, everyone cheers, even the head judge will tell you to 'Push! Squeeze it out!' as your spotter may in a tough lift (he was yelling at me last year, and at least one of the spotters this year)...  pure support.

First event people -- strongly consider this meet.

On contrast, the Lump of Coal event, I did last year was fun. However, it was more so an event where you come and get your work done, and leave. Sure people ask questions and such, but the crowd and all, much different. Not in a bad way by any means, more so that just shows the lifters are generally not 'new'.

I've done my 3 push/pull meets and so now I get to move on, finally to something with a squat in it.

Thanks Alex, awesome two meets and I am very glad I had the opportunity to bother you with 300 questions.

Moving on,

Trev

PS: New Meet Total 815 (355 bench, 460 dead).. game on!

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: Southern Mass Blast 2016 - August (completed)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun Trev.

I didn't have many q's at my meet in May other than asking the front judge if it was Ok to start my deadlift and she said there wasn't a Go command at all on DL just a Down command. 
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
Great meet.  I know what you mean about the meet friends.  I have a few of those on fb. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I
520 squat      198 Masters I
525/345/575 198  Masters II

Offline John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
Sounds like a fun atmosphere. Now time to do a full power. I know where they are having one in April 2017 and a few folks from here will be attending.
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Offline Trev71

• YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »
Sounds like a fun atmosphere. Now time to do a full power. I know where they are having one in April 2017 and a few folks from here will be attending.

Yea, may join in if it does not conflict with the annual April vacation the Wife and I take with friends of ours.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »
Solid bench.

Time to nut up and do a full power.

I think April?  :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 06:47:56 PM »
Ho Lee Phuk.

Where do I even begin.

Trev, you did awesome. I sincerely appreciate all that you posted. This Meet was the most stressful of all that I've done.
If it could go Sideways, it did.  Three weeks prior to the Meet, I began double checking with all my contacts to make sure they were set in place. Spotters/loaders/judges/announcers/chairs/sponsors, all of them.  Guy running&supplying the spotters/loaders, and husband to the announcer, and the keeper of the RPS New England Trailer, tells me he won't be there because he served his wife divorce papers.  She was apparently locking the kids in the basement and shutting the lights off, so that she could have a few hours of peace during the day.  Oh, and he was having an affair with a girl half his age.  So, that went tits up.  Minor freak out on my part, and the scramble to cover them began.  Gene calls me up and says he and Ame will come up to Head judge and announce.  SWEET!! I'm saved. also sorted out how to get the RPS NE trailer delivered for the Meet. SWEET, I don't have to buy a truck! Yet.
weeks transpire, and I start getting lifters dropping out. 17 in total, and I manage to fill in from the waiting list and more. 
Life transpires with Girlfriend, and we're moving in together next month, all the planning is happening at the same time as the Meet. More stress.
Friday before the Meet, I'm delivering trophies to the Meet location, and Gene calls. Rutger one of his Pitbull rescues, has all sorts of issue with cancer. They're at the Vet and likely have to put him down that night or the next. They can't make the 8 hour each way drive to assist me.  Fuuuuuuckkk...............
Call RPS Mass Chairman, leave voicemail. Call various others, only to realize that I don't have a head judge or an announcer.  Ok, Alex will run the table and do the announcing, I just have to elect a head judge from the 3 that I have planned on.... One lady reluctantly agrees.  Ok, I can do this! Table/Chair company calls me and leaves message that they have my 50 chairs and 8 tables for delivery on Saturday.  Minor Freak out, and I call back, I ordered 100 not 50.  Oh, yep, look, my mistake you do have 100 chairs coming...
Guy building light system calls and says "they shipped the wrong wire, I won't have this finished in time." No worries, I have a back up set of lights....
Saturday afternoon, RPS Mass Chair sends text saying hes working a funeral on Meet day and can make it there by 2pm at the earliest.  Wonderful the Meet start at 845am and will be finished by that time.  Gene learns of this, flips out, and then informs me that he had planned at the Meet to have the RPS Mass Chair step down, and promote me to the RPS Southern New England Chairman position.  Yep, that's me in a week or so, when Gene officially announces it.  So, now I'm required to be at any New England Meet to verify lifts and paperwork, as well as judge. 
Judge shows up early, and asks about the hotel I was supposed to get her.  Umm.... No, we didn't agree to that.  No problem, I have a spare room, she can stay with me.  Sabrina meets her.... Yeah.. did I say she was 22, and a hot powerlifter? Sabrina = Not Happy.  30 minutes later, Sabrina is happier and calmer and understanding. She knows that she holds my heart and no one else.
Saturday night 10pm, I'm entering the last of the weigh-ins for the day, and the excel spreadsheet glitches and forgets how to calculate the coefficients for best lifter.  Panicked email to Ame to ask if she can resend that.

Sunday Morning.
up at 5am to load sound system into car, along with last of trophies, prize packages, shirts, and various paperwork. Oh, and young hot judge, because she doesn't have her own car.

Arrive 630am. gym owner arrives at 7am, and savagely controlled chaos ensues. everyone is weighed in, AO begins setting up sound system, and gets it all set.  Testing it out, I'm getting no sound double check all teh connections, settings, amp, plugs, power and everything. No Sound.  I realize that it really helps if I bring the speakers in from the car and connect them.  Boom, I rock! We have sound!

745, I give the rules clinic, to a packed house. 810, warmups start, 815, all my judges, spotters, loaders and announcers show up!  Boom!

845am, Alex calls spotters, loaders and judges to the Platform. 6'3" 290lb lifter strolls up to the platform, pulls out his electric guitar, connects to the Amp we had hidden and Rips a live version of the USA National Anthem.  Yes, I rock.

from here, it all falls into place and the place is packed from end to end, top to bottom and every single lifter had an awesome day.

Meet wraps up 215, I take 90 seconds to tally the trophies and awards and breeze through that with out a hitch. Just like Gene would do it.

I got hugs, pics, compliments, people offered their first born, and their oldest daughters, all the good stuff.

Probably the best run and most fun Meet Ive ever been to.  Raised roughly $2500 for the beneficiary, and he went home with the crowd favorite trophy and a first place.  He's a 9 year old kid battling brain cancer for the past 5 years. He's donating the money to Cops for Kids with Cancer. Absolutely blew everyone expectations, my own as well, out of the water.  I'm sure Trev will agree that it was better than last year.

Flex, your shirt will be in the mail soon.

Then this morning, as if my emotions hadn't taken enough of a beating, I had to send my nearly 14 year old cat over the rainbow bridge because he had a severe stroke early Monday morning, and lost his rear legs, bowel control and couldn't stand. I had to hold him over his breakfast so he could eat this morning. 945am he crossed over.

Get into work and all the stuff i left last week for other to do is still piled on my desk with a bit more....

And that, is another one in the books. Next up, Judging a Meet in VT in September, Judging in October and a client competing at that one. November, judging/announcing at a Meet in NH and NJ, December competing in VT one weekend, the weekend after, am running the Lump of Coal in Western MA. January, is the WCSB that I'm running.  February, I'm going to hide all month.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Trev71

• YouTube
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »
Solid bench.

Time to nut up and do a full power.

I think April?  :D

Yea, I could be in I think... provided 2 things:

1- I don't move south by then.
2- It isn't on my vacation week (wife and I celebrate 2 birthdays (4/19 & 4/21 and anniversary 4/16, in the Caribbean annually, as best as the weeks line up)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »
Holy Cow, what a writeup.

Alex, 50% of my job is event logistics and registration management. I'm currently coordinating a database of 1,700 registrants over a 12 day event. If you want some help, reach out, you don't need to take it on all yourself.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
Well done, Trev!!!  Yup, time for full power, it would be great if you could come out and join us in April (or August)  :)  I can't imagine a better person than Alex to host a meet for new lifters, considering how many of us he talked into doing our first meets, it really seems to be a passion for him.

Alex, good lord on all the stuff you dealt with, seriously.  Great job pulling it all together for a successful meet though!  And congrats on the promotion from Gene, it's well deserved.  Very sorry to hear about the loss of your cat though.  We lost our 13 year old dog to cancer a few weeks ago, it's been really hard to deal with.

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:32:57 AM »
Alex, just reading what you went through has me feeling like I need a vacation!
With all I've read of what you've done with RPS your promotion was well deserved.

Sorry to here about your little pal. Pets that have been with you for such a long time as that...well, it's rough, no doubt about it.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr