Author Topic: Dang, I got a set back  (Read 1712 times)

Online tooth

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: ???
Dang, I got a set back
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:05:55 PM »
Training has gone unbelievable over the past year.  I've had some nagging injuries, but nothing I couldn't work around.  I have a worn out meniscus, torn labrum, and some other old guy stuff, but nothing that was bad enough to not work around.  Well, last week I made a bad decision and worked out when I should not have.  I was over a hundred miles off shore fishing the canyons Sunday-Monday, worked Tuesday, and should not have worked out Tuesday night.  I had a real tight area in my upper right pec.  Couldn't get it loose, but made the bad decision to keep going.  On my working sets of bench I felt something bad in the tight area.  I bailed on the rest of the workout.  There was just no way to function without pain.  After some ice I took a shower, but after the shower my upper trap was real tight and uncomfortable.  Sleeping was a biach.  I saw a doc that felt I either strained or had a minor tear in the part of my pec that attaches to the clavicle, or I tore up the joint where the clavicle meets the sturnum.  He felt where it was in the acute phase and slightly better each day that I may be good to go with some rest.  Still can't do a push up without major pain in that area.  It's the kind of pain that makes you stop, not something to work around.  There's a nice little lump on the medial aspect of my pec that I'm hopefully thinking is just swelling.  Moral of the story is it is sometimes better to put off a day of working out.  Though I hate to put off workouts, the older you get you need to just listen to your body more.  Now rather than a little set back of a day or so, I've got a big one.

On another note I bought an elite fts saftey bar.  Buying toys makes me happy, and now I can still do some strength training while my boo boo gets better. 
420/285/450 181 Masters I
515/335/550 198 Masters I
520 squat      198 Masters I

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Re: Dang, I got a set back
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
Rehab it. All you can do.
NSAIDs, ice/heat, basic rehabilitative exercises to avoid scar tissue. Your doctor or a PT know better than me.
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
Sucks man, hope you heal up quickly.  Seems like a lot of guys are getting injured lately.
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Story gives me the chills thinking how often I work through something and it warms up and feels fine. Looks like the cards were stacked up against you this time. Hope it heals up quickly, pretty good timing for that safety bar I would say.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
Heal Up and get back in there!

Online tooth

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  That safety bar can't come soon enough.  My lower trap is starting to settle down, but my upper trap and upper pec still feel pretty messed up.  I'm chomping at the bit to get back at it. 

Online tooth

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:23 PM »
Still weak as fuck, but this is the first time touching 225 since messing up my pec in July. The ss yoke really saved my ass this summer. Now that things are uncomfortable rather than painful I need to man up. I have a deadlift only meet in October, and I've only been able to deadlift for the past couple weeks. Should be interesting.

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:23 AM »
Still weak as fuck, but this is the first time touching 225 since messing up my pec in July. The ss yoke really saved my ass this summer. Now that things are uncomfortable rather than painful I need to man up. I have a deadlift only meet in October, and I've only been able to deadlift for the past couple weeks. Should be interesting.

Glad you're healing up.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 11:36:15 PM »
sucks about the injury, good job with your recovery. Those reps looked nice and tight and strong
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online tooth

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Form still sucks, but finally putting some weight on the bar. If I could only remember to bend my friken knees!