Author Topic: Operation calf growth  (Read 738 times)

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Operation calf growth
« on: June 28, 2016, 12:30:59 PM »
Hey guys.  As the running joke goes, my calves suck.   Although the actually look "decent" now, they are not up to the rest of my development and definitely a weak area.     I have know this .....forever, and made a concerted effort a while back to grow them.  (which I think actually yielded results). 

"Cold" my calves are now 16" with paper thin skin.   (I think they were like 14 1/4 when I first came back to the gym and I was "chubby" at the time.)  So total growth has been significant.  Hell.... only 1/4" of siknfold fat add 1.5" to the diameter!   So my total growth, along with leaning out is probably closer to 3.5"!  As a joke, I could just let my bf drift up and get 18's!...but as well as I know my body, it would all go in my gut :D

I have been lazy this past year and now since I am not really seeing progress other places, I am going to focus on calves once again.

My last routine was far from scientific.   But one thing I did A LOT of was unilateral assistance.   Using both feet to press and then lowering with only one foot.  The weight is too much to lift with one, and it is like doing forced negatives.   

So again, I am going to take a non-scientific approach and going to hammer my calves.  Anytime I am close to a machine, I will throw a set in.  Resting in between sets...etc.   I will also do some focused training concentrating a lot on stretching.

My daughter took a pic of me and my wife on a weekend getaway this past weekend.   While I thought my wife looked great, I could not help but notice that my calves ALMOST look like I train. ;)    I think if I can just keep bringing them up a little, it would really help balance me off a little.  This is how I look 95% of the time, (when I am not in the gym in tank top) so I think bringing up my calves would be worth the effort!

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Operation calf growth
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
I grew my claves by training them 3 times a week.  Heavy as fuck; lots of sets.

When I first started lifting my legs were skinny as hell; especially my claves.  I don't even train them anymore and they are just shy of 19" and my legs are pretty lean.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
I grew my claves by training them 3 times a week.  Heavy as fuck; lots of sets.

When I first started lifting my legs were skinny as hell; especially my claves.  I don't even train them anymore and they are just shy of 19" and my legs are pretty lean.

Yep...frequency is a big thing for sure.   Volume as well.   Looking at severely overweight people who have lost weight, they always have huge calves.   I think of any muscle in the body, the calves can take the most frequency and probably in that same way, need lots of stim to grow.   

I'll see how this goes, but I am really going to push for a while and see what happens.   I dont think they will ever be my best part....but I just want to bring them into the respectable zone.  While flexed, they look good, they would benefit greatly from just some more overall size.

Offline Fiend_73

• Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 260
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
I'm one of them former fatties with good calves but I still like training them.

Imo there are 2 options ID;

1. the volume approach
2. Train them less frequently but with heavier weight

I've also seen good calves on PL'ers. I can only assume its a combo of their weight and squatting and deadlifting.

I used to do multiple exercises for calves, but then I came across doing leg press calf raises.
It doesn't dig into my shoulders like many machines, it doesn't threaten my tendons unlike seated calf raises, and I can use more weight safely than any other thing I know about.

I need to just maintain my calves now for comp purposes, I do that with 3 sets of 15-20 with whatever max weight I can use that day on the leg press.
That's it.

This is contrary to the volume approach, even made me jittery ditching volume for a more higher intensity approach, but for me its working.
Might for you too.

In addition, its a time saver.