Author Topic: Gnomefit  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Gnomusmaximus

• Height: short
  • Weight: more than I should
Gnomefit
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
OK let's try this again

Most of you know me.  If you don't here's the cliff notes version.  50 year old short, round, hairy guy of Scott descent with a little German kicked in for fun. Wife, 2 kids, Professional type job, Special education administrator (in a very rural and cold place) that still does some school psychology.  Academic background in stats and measurement, with a treatment background (what paid the bills) in inner city hospital/school programs. Also used to do some stagehand work on the side (family business more or less).

I started life as a soccer player.  OK enough for a scholarship and some trial time in the wasteland of the professional indoor world that was the US soccer scene in the late 80's early 90's.  After that some Mountain bike racing for a few years and then martial arts (1st Dan in Hapkido and some competitive Judo). Started lifting in late college kept it on and off. Did some PL and then found my way into Highland Games, where I continue to throw to this day.  Highland Games led to the occasional foray into the worlds of strongman and Olympic Lifting.  Have done 1 OL contest and like maybe 5 or so strongman (Judging one this Saturday but not competing).

Recently I made a deal with my wife that I would lose some blubber for our 25th Anniversary Cruise.  This fall I also tore the adductor on my right side to the point that it can not be repaired only "released".  I also turned 50 and it hit me I need to start thinking of health/all round well being.  This has led me to develop Gnomefit....which is sort of like crossfit but considerably less lame.  I dabbled in cf for a few years (Some WODS mentioned in my old log) but since my 50th I have more or less gone over to the dark side.  So feel free to criticize cf all you want, I know I do. But yes Gnomefit has serious similarities to the thing i know most of you hate, Criticize away, or ask questions, I like questions.

Gym wise I am fairly average.  About a 155kg squat 110kg or so BP, 190kg DL, 90kg Clean& Jerk, 65kg Snatch.  (Ya I mix metric and imperial units....get over it.)  Right now (and probably from now on) I have to wear Power pants to squat.  I got them way big so they don't rebound too much, but without that level of compression on that adductor tendon I can not squat without really bad pain.  As in like bad enough I would never squat again and anyone that knows me knows how bad that must be.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:19:25 PM by Gnomusmaximus »

Offline Gnomusmaximus

Re: Gnomefit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »
So I told my wife I would improve my appearance; and I figure... that when I trained like a soccer player I looked like a soccer player.  When I trained like a Judo guy I looked like a Judo guy.  When I trained like a Highland Games guy I wound up looking like a highland games guy and trust me that ain't pretty.  So if I could look like anyone I wanted to it would be the crossfit guys.  The good ones, not the ones that suck.  So that is how I train now.  I do my own "programming" and cut out a bunch of the stuff I think is silly...like double unders and handstand stuff...Why at 50 will I ever need that?  If I am ever in a place where knowing how to walk on my hands will improve my chance of survival I feel it would be more important to evaluate the life decisions that brought me too that point... much more so than not being able to walk on my freakin hands.

Yesterday's workout was a G/W day (Gymnastics/Weightlifting) so I started with 4 sets of 5 squats up to like 252lbs then did a "couplet" of 5 squats at 118lbs and 50 jump rope singles.  5 Rounds in 9:42.  Jumping rope after squatting and squatting after jumping rope sucks.  It was cool.  today is an off day because i have my kids concert in a few hours.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:21:00 PM by Gnomusmaximus »

Offline Gnomusmaximus

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »
Just as important as the change in workouts is that I have actually been watching what i eat.  I am almost embarrassed to say it here, but I have been using the containers from that 21 day fix thing.  For some reason it seems to work for me.  It just helps me keep an idea of how much I am eating.

Since the end of Feb I have lost my man boobs and my wife just complimented me on how much better my waist and back look...still didn't get any though. I was hey what the f...come on.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:21:47 PM by Gnomusmaximus »

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
in, be back later to read everything
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
Welcome to the IS Journals Gnomus!
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »
still didn't get any though. I was hey what the f...come on.

Welcome to journaling. I'll be watching this. Gotta admit, the above bolded gave me a chuckle.  :P
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Gnomusmaximus

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »
Yesterday was an OK food day up until dinner time when I had to toss 2 slices of pizza in the microwave and eat them in like 5 minutes.
Tonight is my weightlifting only day so I will most likely do Snatches and Push Presses.

Gnomefit is more or less based on this article:
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/06_03_CF_Template.pdf

It actually explains crossfit in something of a way that makes sense.  I actually think it did when Glassman and his ex were actually running the workout end of it.  Anyway the short version  M=Cardio, G=Gymnastics, W=Weightlifting.  The idea is to mix those modalities up  in a bunch of different ways to combine different areas of fitness.  For example this week I had mothers day on Sunday, a kid concert Wednesday, and I'll be judging on Saturday.  So my week will be Monday-M day I did 5K on an Eliptical, Tuesday was G/W - So I did the squat/jump rope thing, Tonight is W so it will be Snatches and Push Presses, Friday will be M/G so I will do a circuit workout of 200 meter runs and Burpees.  I'll throw some stones too for a bit. 

Offline Gnomusmaximus

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
Tonight
Snatch-kg: 50x3, 55x3, 57x3, 59x3, 61x2 (missed the third)
Push Press-kg: 70x3, 80x3, 85x3

Hey 3 rep PR for the Push Presses. Mad I missed the stupid third on that snatch.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
You said:

Tonight
Snatch-kg: 50x3, 55x3, 57x3, 59x3, 61x2 (missed the third)
Push Press-kg: 70x3, 80x3, 85x3

Hey 3 rep PR for the Push Presses. Mad I missed the stupid third on that snatch.

I read:

3 rep PR, 3 rep PR, 3 rep PR, 3 rep PR, 3 rep PR,3 rep PR, 3 rep PR
3 rep PR, 3 rep PR, 3 rep PR, 3 rep PR

3 rep PR, 3 rep PR, 3 rep PR

3 rep PR, 3 rep PR

anyway, congrats on the PR 8)
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Gnomusmaximus

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »
Thanks,
Today
Braemar Stone :  10 throws including a few with that crazy heavy one I found.
10 min AMRAP
200 meter run
10 Burpees

Made 3 rounds and most of the 4 th run.

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
  I also turned 50 and it hit me I need to start thinking of health/all round well being.

I can totally relate to this!! 

Way to go, and we're so glad you're here on IS!
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline jtroster

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 185 lbs
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
Welcome.
Joel