Author Topic: Good and Cheap  (Read 2466 times)

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Good and Cheap
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »
If you haven't seen this, it's a great read.  A free, budget-friendly, e-cookbook, packed with great shopping and cooking tips and some lovely healthy recipes.

With our dollar being so low, food prices are soaring up here.  I was looking for ways to save money in the kitchen, but the recipes and flavour ideas are a delightful surprise.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52f120cfe4b0bf8fcb650b3e/t/53f4441ae4b08fc795a1a352/1408517146323/good-and-cheap.pdf

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Plateauplower

• Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 192
Re: Good and Cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
Some good ideas. I was thinking of taking up cattle rustling as a hobby, luckily beef and eggs are going back down here, so I will find something else to do with my free time :o

I dont mind eating the same thing often so I try to stcok up on certain things when they are cheap, make a bunch of something and freeze batches of it for later. Its funny bacause some of the leaner cuts of meat like bottom round roast are cheaper usually and I love a big roast slow cooked in the crockpot and shredded.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
I invested in a nice chest freezer a while back.   Also have a 2nd full size fridge.   I can buy meat at a restaurant supply, but I found that the best way are "loss leaders" that local supermarts often use to get people in the door. The price ends up being cheaper than I can buy it at the restaurant supply.

My staples are leaner cuts of beef, turkey, pork tenderlions and chicken breast.    My store often runs buy one get one free on london broil (which is basically a top round cut).  I also get sirloin tip roasts (another decently lean cut).   93/7 c ground beef is also a staple.   My store about every 3-4 weeks runs a buy one get special on one of them.   I will usually stock up on a bunch of meat then.

For chicken breast, my store runs a year round special of 1.99/lb boneless skinless from the butcher counter.  (not the 10% brined solution garbage....just straight from the case at the butcher by the lb).   I dont have to keep frozen chicken around much now.

My 2nd fridge is my intermediary where I pull from the chest freezer and thaw.   I pull stuff out 4-5 days in advance. 

Even with all this, I still rely heavily upon whey for protein.  Still the cheapest and most convenient especially when trying to keep fat macros in the 60-70 range.

If I was not too worried about fat, I would gravitate towards dark meat chicken.   Not only does it taste great...but it really has no more fat than many cuts of beef.   Heck, I would be making leg/thighs by the handful and just munching on them all the time! ;)     Trying to eat leaner....does come at a little price premium though.

Offline Plateauplower

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »
I invested in a nice chest freezer a while back.   Also have a 2nd full size fridge.   I can buy meat at a restaurant supply, but I found that the best way are "loss leaders" that local supermarts often use to get people in the door. The price ends up being cheaper than I can buy it at the restaurant supply.

My staples are leaner cuts of beef, turkey, pork tenderlions and chicken breast.    My store often runs buy one get one free on london broil (which is basically a top round cut).  I also get sirloin tip roasts (another decently lean cut).   93/7 c ground beef is also a staple.   My store about every 3-4 weeks runs a buy one get special on one of them.   I will usually stock up on a bunch of meat then.

For chicken breast, my store runs a year round special of 1.99/lb boneless skinless from the butcher counter.  (not the 10% brined solution garbage....just straight from the case at the butcher by the lb).   I dont have to keep frozen chicken around much now.

My 2nd fridge is my intermediary where I pull from the chest freezer and thaw.   I pull stuff out 4-5 days in advance. 

Even with all this, I still rely heavily upon whey for protein.  Still the cheapest and most convenient especially when trying to keep fat macros in the 60-70 range.

If I was not too worried about fat, I would gravitate towards dark meat chicken.   Not only does it taste great...but it really has no more fat than many cuts of beef.   Heck, I would be making leg/thighs by the handful and just munching on them all the time! ;)     Trying to eat leaner....does come at a little price premium though.

I get the same cuts. I don't price shop for the meat deals by store as often as I should but a new store that just opened a small chain and has a HUGE butcher shop area has had chicken thighs for $1.60 / Lb for the big family packs. I didnt realize that was their normal price and bought 40lbs of them (big chest freezer). I'm finding I hate the thighs cooked in the oven, much prefer them grilled so they get kind of well done and crispy (but not burnt).

I'm kind of mad at pork loins latley, the last few I bought looked lean until I opened them and they were about 30% fat that I had to trim...

London broil is my favorite cow and I sometimes find it marked down due to the use by date for around "burger" prices of $3.5/lb and freeze. I save that for the summer, score it so it cooks faster and add garlic and seasoning and grill it. Always buying the 4.5lb 93/7 burger for $15 (was up to $23 last year)

BTW I just orderd 10lbs of the NOW unflavored whey for $108 on Amazon not bad for $10/lb no fillers etc 162 servings at 25g pro. Will become a staple since it will help get low calorie protein options in and still get some fats from other sources.

Just wondering Lisa is cold water seafood cheaper up there? Salmon etc is pricey here unless you buy the chinese salmon that are likely fed old iphone batteries...

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:17:11 PM »
My wife has uncles and cousins that raise beef cattle, just haven't taken advantage of it like I should. While they're liking the price they're getting per pound I ain't liking the cost I see in the store.

I too try and find lean cuts and braise as often as I can. All kinds of seasoning and spices can go in the liquid for different flavors.

Heck, just yesterday made some Mongolian beef but used skirt steak instead of flank (store I was at didn't have flank). Threw it in with the homemade sauce into the slow cooker. Boys were scarfing it all day long  8)

Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
Tilapia and trout you can get on sale for about $7/lb.  Cod, about $12/lb.

Salmon has really skyrocketed in price, due to a supply shortage (some blame this on climate change).

You can get better deals, especially from Asian markets, but you don't always know where they come from.

Stay right away from Chinese supplies.  I was buying some frozen seafood from Thailand, but I've been reading that much of that seafood is processed by child slaves.  I also read that some of the best shrimp is available from Nunavut and are considered a sustainable source.  But trying to find Nunavut shrimp in stores is darned near impossible.

Ground beef is currently $7/lb.  There are sales, but they are fewer and fewer.  Stewing beef (chuck) is $7/lb on sale too.

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
I was buying some frozen seafood from Thailand, but I've been reading that much of that seafood is processed by child slaves.

Nothing I like more than shrimp salted with children's tears.

J/K not funny I know :-[

Ground beef is currently $7/lb.

Holy Cow, that's nuts. I'm paying 1/2 that.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:06:03 PM »

Yep....If I did not mind 80/20 I could buy from resturant supply for less than $3/lb.  Think it was 2.80 last time.  (20lbs at a time)

Instead I wait for 93/7 to go on sale.  It either goes to 3.99 or 5.99 buy1 get one (so 3.00/lb).

London broils are usually around $6/lb, but like I said, I get them buy 1 get one.    I can buy eye of round as rest supply for 3.50.

Our one nicer store sells "stew meat" which is all their trimmings....but it is actually all leaner cuts and MUCH leaner than a chuck roast.  It is all trimming with no real visible fat.  That is about $4.99 but goes buy one get one all the time. 

I dont know how people do it frankly.   If I did not consume whey, I would have to eat 2.5lbs of meat a day. That is lean cuts (6g pro/oz), fattier cuts I would need to eat 3+lbs of meat to hit 240g.    My guess is many people dont really have a clue as to what their actual levels of protein are they are getting.

One experiment I had thought of was to decrease protein even more, but supplement BCAA higher and space out my intakes by 4-6 hours.   That would increase my bodies efficiency to process and retain for sure....but I am not sure I want to risk trying......   It would be something I would feel better about in a surplus of cals.   When I am in a deficit, I am not screwing around and taking any chances.

Right now, I eat a lb or just under a lb of meat a day.....the rest of my intake is made up of whey and milk.  Hitting 220-240/day.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »

Yep....If I did not mind 80/20 I could buy from resturant supply for less than $3/lb.  Think it was 2.80 last time.  (20lbs at a time)

I feel like you cook most of the fat off and it stays more moist when you use the 80/20. Probably not cooking it down to 93 but I've never been able to cook lean ground beef well without it drying out.

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »

I feel like you cook most of the fat off and it stays more moist when you use the 80/20. Probably not cooking it down to 93 but I've never been able to cook lean ground beef well without it drying out.

Back in my younger days when all I could get was "ground chuck" I used to cook and then wash with hot water..    Sure takes all the flavor out, but it got my protein in.   It usually went in sauce anyway.

I agree 93/7 makes pretty terrible burgers.  They fall apart if you dont get a good sear on them.   One thing is you can patty them and freeze.   That helps a lot in getting them to hold together while they cook.  Mostly I use it for chili, in pasta sauce just ground up, meatballs, meatloaf....etc.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
When I 1st embarked on a weightloss adventure I would cook up a mix of ground turkey and beef with onions and peppers and rinse it before making my chili. My wife is the opposite, she won't even drain the fat for tacos etc :-\ The fat in her cabbage soup firms up at the top and I scoop most of it out before reheating it for lunch.

I just ran down and got a pork end roast for the crockpot in the morning, $3.56/lb. Love having a locally sourced grocery 1 block away.  8)

DIEL?

Offline Plateauplower

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
Wow Fish is more expensive there than here (even for the good stuff) and the Beef prices are insane.

During the winter I make 8oz (pre weight) 93/7 burgers on the foreman grill. They stay together really well like that the compression while they cook seems to bind them together. They look "dry" when cold but when warmed back up they are really good. Especially dressed up with some hot peppers, tomato and mustard.

Bando something to try with the pork loins is cook them in the crockpot with 2 cans of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce and a can or two of fire roasted tomatoes. Something about taht combo makes the pork or even chkn breast super tender and has a little smokey heat. The peppers are hot AF if you eat one out of the little can, but the meat just hgets a hint of the heat. Then I shred and make sammiches or wraps, sometimes adding some sugar free 10 cal/30g BBQ sauce and onions. Also makes good tacos/burritos....Sessions looking Good BWT

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
pork loins is cook them in the crockpot with 2 cans of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce and a can or two of fire roasted tomatoes.

Sounds delicious!

DIEL?

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:41 PM »
I grabbed a quick pic at my market today, note the steak prices, all local meat:

DIEL?