Author Topic: Recommended programming?  (Read 2029 times)

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
Recommended programming?
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
Would love to get some programming recommendations from you guys, especially since several of you have actually seen me lift  ;D  I've had a friend doing my programming for the last couple of years, but he's not a powerlifter, but I'm making some changes this year and want to move in a more powerlifting-centric direction.  I have some ideas of my own, but I'm curious what others would say. 

Stuff that could be good to know in making a recommendation...

My next meet is in April.

I probably would be considered an intermediate lifter.  I'm female, my best lifts from this past year are 235/145/335.  Squats and bench are running a little lower right now, deads have stayed pretty consistent for me.

I'm probably going to need to be on a damn diet again while running this program, which I realize is incompatible with the recommendations of pretty much every program on the planet, but such is life.

I will be training out of two locations, a regular gym and my home gym.  I have access to different equipment at those locations, so something really rigid (like you MUST do this exercise today) isn't going to work.  The number of times I'll be able to train per week may also vary wildly.

Squat - my nemesis.  I do better squatting 2-3 days a week, but not always heavy.  I am learning that squat variations are my friend.  I'm trying to bring up my quad strength with front squats right now, because my hammies are really overpowering my quads lately.

Bench - seems to do best 2 days a week.  Very very (very) difficult for me to make improvements on though, I've actually slid backwards on this since my last meet.  But I was also only getting in one bench session a week recently, and it hated that.

Deadlift - my best friend.  Training my back in general seems to work best 1-3x a week, but heavy conventional deads work best for me once every 1-2 weeks.  I've been playing with some variations to work on in those in-between sessions, like snatch grip deads and rack pulls, and liking both.

I realize nothing off-the-shelf and cookie cutter is going to work completely.  But any input you can provide would be appreciated!

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: Recommended programming?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Lift heavy...next week lift heavier  ;D

j/k...semi

I'm in the same boat, My lifting partner and I are looking at our first PL comp at the end of April and trying to figure out a good plan also.

Good Luck!!
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
I've never run a program so I can't suggest anything....sorry.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Trev71

• This space intentionally left blank
    • YouTube
  • Height: 5'10.5"
  • Weight: 230
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »
The attached deadlift program, I forgot where I got it from.. sorry. That said, I used it to prep for my last push/pull meet and I hit a 10lb PR over my last meet max.

Same goes with the bench program.

The deloads, I modified a bit, they both had a 16 week program with 3 deloads + 1 the week prior to the meet. I trimmed that down to one in the middle...

My dead went from 435 at a meet in Aug to 445 in Dec.
My bench went from 335 at a meet in Aug, to 345 in the home gym. (I overshot myself at the meet in Dec and missed 350.)

Spreadsheets may have my numbers in them still.. but they autocalculate based on 1rep max.

I just started running them again actually...  bench was rough, 5 sets of 3.. holy cow.. sometimes the first and second set where the hardest through, strangely enough.

--> I never missed a single lift in either program during the entirety of them. Important to note that, as I do agree  you do not want to miss lifts unless your testing strength.

I also took regular video of bench work during that timeframe... only the heavy days though... feel free to review some of those heavy days.. see what I mean about rough :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/trevmthorpe/

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:07:12 PM by Trev71 »

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Only think that ever improved my squat was SL 5x5 and patience. I liked it because I never had to wonder what to do that day, it simple, 5 lbs more than last time 5 x 5. Really never thought I would be doing 300+ for that, but the program worked. 
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline drudixon

• Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 197
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
I just started reactive training systems.  You basically learn the philosophy,  then build your own around your weaknesses.  Mike tuchscherer has 7 ranked athletes in worlds,  so some good cred.

Here's a link to a template I'm following.

Plan to buy the book.

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?126-Generalized-Intermediate-Program

Online itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
Hey guys, wanted to make sure I thanked everyone for their input!  The month has been crazy, but I've actually gotten some really solid training time in to do some experimenting.  Basically I poured over your recommendations and every good program I could think of.  Then I started out with things that I know work for me, auditioning other ideas or exercises that I've wanted to try, and am adjusting as I go.  This is definitely a case of trying to figure out what I respond best to, and with some initial testing it looks like my bench is just plain going to need a different approach than my squats and deadlift.  Trev, thanks for the bench program file, my bench isn't crazy about what I've been doing, so I may go ahead and give that one a whirl.  The heavy day is similar but the 2x8 / 8x3 days would be quite different.  And yes, one of my big new rules is no failures in training.  I used to work to failure regularly, and I really don't think it did me any good physically or mentally.  I've been failure-free for January and it feels great, was also able to put up a small PR on deadlift and a ton of volume PRs on squat this past week.  I'll have it all figured out eventually... hopefully  ;D