Author Topic: What the actual fuck  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 156
What the actual fuck
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
today i fucked up my upper back, on some stupid ass shit

it was my last excersize, last set, last REP

I was burning out on LOW weight on cable flies. I was doing upper chest so I was grabbing the handle from the floor and pulling UP towards my head.

Out of nowhere on my last rep as I was burning out, my spine right below my neck, in between my two traps just stopped and felt like a cramp would.

It hurt so much I couldnt move, dropped the handles and sat down.

I dont know if I pulled it or if its a pinched nerve?

Definitley not a cramp because it stil hurts, and this happened 4 hours ago.

Anyways how can I recover the fastest from this, what do you think IT is? How long will I probably be out for?

1-10 pain scale is about 3 at rest and 6-7 in motion.

its literally smack in the middle between my two traps; which makes me think I hurt it due to poor form, as this was my first time doing cable flies from the ground instead of on the machine at chest level.

What can I do to make it better the fastest?

also is this broscience or true? I heard if I take advil or tylenol the anti-inflammatory will hinder my muscle growth from my workout... which has kept me from taking any  :-[

Is that true in general? and if so would 4 hours post workout be a safe time to take it? thanks alot fellas
I intend to tell fate its my turn to take the reigns.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: What the actual fuck
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
I would go ahead and take the advil or naproxen. Give it 24 hours and I bet it will be gone. Those quirky injuries always seem to disappear the next day for me.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
Dude I have been living on Naproxen and Ibuprofen for YEARS and I still build muscle and get stronger.

Take it.

Hope you recover quickly.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Dude I have been living on Naproxen and Ibuprofen for YEARS and I still build muscle and get stronger.

Take it.

Hope you recover quickly.

Thanks brother, just popped 3

I would go ahead and take the advil or naproxen. Give it 24 hours and I bet it will be gone. Those quirky injuries always seem to disappear the next day for me.

really hoping your right bro!

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »
Update: it's been 2 days since my injury; happy to say it's about 65% healed. Still pretty sore when I look certain ways, definitely not ready to lift quite yet. Just hope I can lift again soon. You don't think this will be a permanent thing and prevent me from working out my back in the future do you? Like I said its in the middle down my spine between me traps and seems to be associated with/hurt when I turn my head left and right straight down and straight up, or flex / push up my shoulder in the mirror. As stated before though; MUCH improvement over the past two days. Only thing I'm doing to heal is stopped working out and take Advil twice a day. Any physical things I can do to stretch this shit out or heal faster? Maybe a certain cream? Get a message? I am just scared i have a thought in the back of my mind that it will heal 90% and not ever heal all the way. But I know I'm young so I have some hope to bounce back quick. Thanks again fells
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:43:13 PM by Huntforfun »

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:46:48 PM »
edit/update: been about 4 days now and its about 85% there, still taking advil in the morning and before bed; stretching whatever way i can until I feel the muscle contract and relax; anythign else I can do? Its keeping me from working out! Im afraid ill mess it up worse if I do :(

Offline Huntforfun

• GFX Vault - Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
another update : DONT MEAN TO SPAM just keeping yall posted!

hit some back/biceps yesterday low weight, just to get into the grove, went pretty well!

Offline ThighoftheTiger

• Greying and growing
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »
Might need to see a chiro?  Also, if this kind of thing ever happens again, get ice on asap.  Bag of frozen peas.  Something cold. 

And for me, Advil and Naproxen are my friends.  Muscle building is NOT inflammation, it's adaptation.
My journal: http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/index.php?topic=1420.0

2015 PB's
420 lbs - Deadlift
335 lbs - Squat
262 lbs - Bench