Author Topic: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker thread  (Read 8295 times)

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 127
Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker thread
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »
I have cooked one similar to the one with the soup mix but instead of the gravy mix I put a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top of it. The gravy that comes from that is the bomb!!

I like using mine for chicken breast and chicken thighs. I usually have alot so I will split it and use bbq sauce for one night and then the next night add buffalo sauce to it. Love me some yard bird!! :D
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

"Gonna be stupid...gotta be tuff" - Knothead

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »

Is this recipe missing some liquid?  Are you supposed to pour some water to interact with the gravy mix and soup mix?  I usually cut a medium onion into 6 or 8 chunks and throw it in, and pour in a couple cans of beef broth instead of using brown gravy mix.  Also if you want to try something a little different, use turnips instead of potatoes.  I love the veggie part of a pot roast so much that I usually try to stuff too many of them into the crock pot.

As everyone said, browning a roast first does add flavor, but IMO it's not really necessary when crock-pot cooking a roast, especially if you use strong flavorful seasonings like the gravy mix and onion mix in the recipe above.  But if you do brown it, really sear it well to a dark brown.  It makes for a sort of a caramelized crust that is super tasty!

When I make my pot roast I brown the meat first in some olive oil, then I cut onions in half and sear them till carmalized and do the same for some baby carrots. Then the whole thing goes in the same pot. :drool:
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »
Crockpot pot roast

Crock pot liners (makes cleanup so much easier)
2.5lbs pot roast (or any beef roast)
Veggies like potato, carrots, celery
1 pkg brown gravy
1 pkg lipton's onion soup mix
Salt pepper

Put liner in the crockpot. Salt and pepper beef roast, sprinkle with 1/2 package brown gravy mix and onion soup mix, add veggies, sprinkle with rest of brown gravy and onion soup mix. Turn on low for 8 hrs.

Is this recipe missing some liquid?  Are you supposed to pour some water to interact with the gravy mix and soup mix?  I usually cut a medium onion into 6 or 8 chunks and throw it in, and pour in a couple cans of beef broth instead of using brown gravy mix.  Also if you want to try something a little different, use turnips instead of potatoes.  I love the veggie part of a pot roast so much that I usually try to stuff too many of them into the crock pot.

As everyone said, browning a roast first does add flavor, but IMO it's not really necessary when crock-pot cooking a roast, especially if you use strong flavorful seasonings like the gravy mix and onion mix in the recipe above.  But if you do brown it, really sear it well to a dark brown.  It makes for a sort of a caramelized crust that is super tasty!

Nope, no extra liquid. There's plenty from a good cut of beef.
Now if you're talking about a tougher cut of meat like a rump roast I'll throw in beef broth. That long, slow simmering in liquid is similar to braising in that it will tenderize the meat nicely (without all the extra effort traditional braising takes).

Just threw in the second 3lb roast in the crockpot today.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Plateauplower

• Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 192
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »
Couple of favorites of mine are chicken breasts or pork loins trimmed adn put in the crockpot with 2 can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce and a can of green chilis and tomatoes and garlic, onions seasonings etc.
8 hrs then shred tastes like mexican chicken or prok taco meat - make wraps, burritos etc

Beef Roasts with a big jar of sliced jalapano peppers, finely diced onion and carrots & garlic
8hrs then shred tatses like italian beef

I also put Canadian geese  ;D or ducks  in there with mushroom soup mix onions, mushrooms etc

Steel cut oats with apples/cinnomon and flax seed and walnuts - then add whey protein as I eat it since the macros are 26cal/.6p/.75f per oz for just the oats/apples/nuts mix

Also works well for melting giant blocks of processed cheese with some diced tomatoes and green chilies for nachos mmm nachos

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
I have a half of a boston butt in my slow cooker for dinner tonight. MMMMM... BBQ!  :drool:
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
Ok I finally went out and bought a crock pot today. Beef stew with all the trimmings will happen this weekend.
Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
I need to get some liners, meat, etc. still
Got a Crock Pot

For now, I'll be making rice with rice cooker and making eggs or KBBQ with a pan until I can get everything settled lol
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »
Beef and Beer Stew

INGREDIENTS:
2 to 3 pounds stew beef or lean chuck, cut in cubes
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
4 medium onions, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces beer

PREPARATION:
Coat beef cubes with the 1/2 cup flour.  Brown in skillet in the butter.  In slow cooker, combine browned meat with onion, salt, pepper, garlic and beer. Cover and cook in the crockpot on low 6 to 9 hours, or until meat is tender.

I also add 4 large carrots and some potatoes (peeled and quartered).  If I add lots of veg, I double the beer. If it's too thin, you can thicken it up with a roux. But mine usually cooks for 10 or 12 hours, so it doesn't need thickening.

Any kind of beer will work. 

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »
Can I borrow 12 oz of Beer, Lisa?
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »

Lisa and FLEX do not share beer! LOL!!!

Lisa... gonna make that beef stew Sunday. I actually have some venison we got processed into stew meat which will work great in this.
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
I lost a really good Irish Stew recipe with Guinness (at least I can't find it in the recipe box). Was hands down the best.
Only made it twice so I don't recall all the ingredients  >:(
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »

Lisa... gonna make that beef stew Sunday. I actually have some venison we got processed into stew meat which will work great in this.

How bout you, can you share a little? I'm hungry as fuck over here, I've only eaten a sandwich all day lol

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »

How bout you, can you share a little? I'm hungry as fuck over here, I've only eaten a sandwich all day lol

I will share food but beer?? Nope! ;D
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 07:01:51 AM »
Used my new crock pot yesterday to make pot roast.

Eric

DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »
^^^ looks good!

I like to take all that liquid, put it in a sauce pan and use my immersion blender to mix well. Then put it on the stove and slowly reduce the volume of water in it until it pours like a gravy. The flavors are incredible with it being condensed.

Just threw in a pork loin roast I had let sit all night with a dry rub on it. Pulled pork sammich's tonight!
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr