Author Topic: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker thread  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Crock Pot/Slow Cooker thread
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »
I need some REALLY easy slow-cooker recipes. Keeping it as low on supplies as possible, and simple.
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »
Crockpot pot roast

Crock pot liners (makes cleanup so much easier)
2.5lbs pot roast (or any beef roast)
Veggies like potato, carrots, celery
1 pkg brown gravy
1 pkg lipton's onion soup mix
Salt pepper

Put liner in the crockpot. Salt and pepper beef roast, sprinkle with 1/2 package brown gravy mix and onion soup mix, add veggies, sprinkle with rest of brown gravy and onion soup mix. Turn on low for 8 hrs.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
that's a good link, thanks!
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 06:33:48 PM »
In before Lisa.

Cali, whatever Lisa posts in here trust me it's awesome.

In the winter time she does all kinds of amazing stuff in our slow cooker.

Everything is fantastic.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
In before Lisa.

Everything is fantastic.

I stumbled upon a Slow Cooker recipe you posted on the Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. I shall wait for Lisa's recipes too.

Do I really need to brown the meat before cooking?

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
In before Lisa.

Everything is fantastic.

I stumbled upon a Slow Cooker recipe you posted on the Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. I shall wait for Lisa's recipes too.

If you have time to brown the meat, then I would, as it really adds extra flavour.  It is a bit of a pain with stewing beef, but you can sear a roast quickly on the stove.

The jury is out on whether to put frozen meats in the crockpot.  A lot of people swear it's fine, and just add 2 hours to the cooking time, but others advise against it, as the meat sits at a vulnerable temperature for too long.  I don't do it.  I pull the meat out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw overnight.  I will often prep the night before too (clean and chop the veg, measure out my seasonings, broth or wine).  Then it's seriously just a couple of minutes in the morning, switch it on, and off to work.

I'll get you some of our family favourites.

The crockpot is a great time-saver and money-saver.  I think you'll enjoy it. 
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
Southwestern Chicken and Beans

This is cheap and cheerful, and feeds an army.  If you are having friends over, this will feed about 6 guys.  Love it, as you don't need to soak the beans overnight.  Chicken thighs pack way more flavour at a fraction of the price of chicken breasts.

(Use crockpot liners for super easy clean-up, or give it a spray with cooking spray.)

1 cup(s) dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 jar(s) (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoon(s) chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (in the Mexican aisle at No Frills)
2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
1/4 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Directions

1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.

2. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)

3. Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
In before Lisa.

Everything is fantastic.

If you have time to brown the meat, then I would, as it really adds extra flavour.  It is a bit of a pain with stewing beef, but you can sear a roast quickly on the stove.

The jury is out on whether to put frozen meats in the crockpot.  A lot of people swear it's fine, and just add 2 hours to the cooking time, but others advise against it, as the meat sits at a vulnerable temperature for too long.  I don't do it.  I pull the meat out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw overnight.  I will often prep the night before too (clean and chop the veg, measure out my seasonings, broth or wine).  Then it's seriously just a couple of minutes in the morning, switch it on, and off to work.

I'll get you some of our family favourites.

The crockpot is a great time-saver and money-saver.  I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm basically living for 7 weeks on my own, so my options lie with eating out every day (too expensive), bringing pre-cooked food from home once a week, or cooking for myself. I will bring some food, but I'd like some variety as well. Slow cooking seems like a good idea since I can just leave it to cook and go on with my day. A little prep time in the morning and night is all it needs too.

I'll need to bring a pan and stuff to brown the meat, and I will stock up on certain meats when they go on sale. Freeze, thaw them overnight, throw them in the cooker the next morning.

What is the proper process for browning meat? Any links?

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
Chicken thighs and chicken legs are about the cheapest meats you can find and have a great ratio of protein and fats.

The only meat you need to brown is beef.
Get a pan hot and add just a bit of vegetable spray, sear on each side about a 60-90 secs. That's each side, not just front and back but sides too.
I suggest a cast iron skillet. Once seasoned and used frequently it adds flavor, holds heat well and is better than the cheap aluminum or stainless steel.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »
Ok, now I've got to go out and get a crock pot.  :-[ ;D
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:54:55 AM »
Chicken thighs and chicken legs are about the cheapest meats you can find and have a great ratio of protein and fats.

Get a pan hot and add just a bit of vegetable spray, sear on each side about a 60-90 secs. That's each side, not just front and back but sides too.
I suggest a cast iron skillet. Once seasoned and used frequently it adds flavor, holds heat well and is better than the cheap aluminum or stainless steel.

I sear like this when I make pot roast in the oven. :drool:
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »

Only way to go.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline LisaSkinnoble

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »

Only way to go.

Agreed! 

And Cali, if you happen to get brown bits in your pan while browning your meat, don't waste them - splash a little wine or broth in your pan and scrape those bits into the crockpot. 

You can do some really simple things in the crockpot too - some pork with some store-bought bbq sauce makes for an easy pulled pork sammich.  And some boneless chicken with some Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce makes for great buffalo chicken sammiches too (or wrap some in lettuce leaf if you're low-carbing it).

I also like to wrap potato in foil and bake it in the crockpot on top of whatever meat I have in there.  I did pork chops with onions and mushrooms and some broth in the bottom of the pot, put some baking potatoes wrapped in foil on top of that, then some green beans wrapped in foil on top of that.  Boom - you have a whole meal.  (The green beans were a little overdone.  Use frozen if you're doing that.  Or, frozen corn on the cob - it steams in the husk or foil and is gorgeous.)  You can cut your potatoes and add a little butter or olive oil, some shallots or onion, and even some cheese or bacon, to your foil packet too. 

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
Crockpot pot roast

Crock pot liners (makes cleanup so much easier)
2.5lbs pot roast (or any beef roast)
Veggies like potato, carrots, celery
1 pkg brown gravy
1 pkg lipton's onion soup mix
Salt pepper

Put liner in the crockpot. Salt and pepper beef roast, sprinkle with 1/2 package brown gravy mix and onion soup mix, add veggies, sprinkle with rest of brown gravy and onion soup mix. Turn on low for 8 hrs.

Is this recipe missing some liquid?  Are you supposed to pour some water to interact with the gravy mix and soup mix?  I usually cut a medium onion into 6 or 8 chunks and throw it in, and pour in a couple cans of beef broth instead of using brown gravy mix.  Also if you want to try something a little different, use turnips instead of potatoes.  I love the veggie part of a pot roast so much that I usually try to stuff too many of them into the crock pot.

As everyone said, browning a roast first does add flavor, but IMO it's not really necessary when crock-pot cooking a roast, especially if you use strong flavorful seasonings like the gravy mix and onion mix in the recipe above.  But if you do brown it, really sear it well to a dark brown.  It makes for a sort of a caramelized crust that is super tasty!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:39:54 PM by tobymax »
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15