Author Topic: Crossfit: Save Me From My Workout  (Read 1980 times)

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Crossfit: Save Me From My Workout
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
I read this article when it first published.  Last week it took Gold at the National Magazine Awards.  It's a really interesting read, by Lauren McKeon published in Toronto Life Magazine.

Converts to CrossFit, the extreme exercise craze, swear it’s life-changing and take pride in their self-inflicted injuries. I was a true believer—until one punishing session landed me in the ER with a shattered leg and a dislocated ankle. I still couldn’t wait to go back...

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2014/06/23/save-me-from-my-workout/

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 127
Re: Crossfit: Save Me From My Workout
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:30:48 AM »
That is one helluva break!!

I have been invited to come try crossfit numerous times by a friend whose father runs the local one here. I have never had a desire to do that though. I can't imagine having someone tell me what workout I will do today. LOL! I just think the risk of injury is pretty high in crossfit.

Not knocking it... but it ain't my thing. Plus... who was bench press???
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

"Gonna be stupid...gotta be tuff" - Knothead

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Crossfit is pretty bad ass, IMO

However, too many idiots are running the camps and too many idiots are joining up and listening to the other idiots.

Dumb, dumb, dumb......

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
I'm with Dana, it's not my thing, but I respect anything gets people up and off the couch (so to speak).

One thing that really struck me about the article was the idea that Crossfit is somehow for the elite - the super cool kids.  This really is the way to get Torontonians signed up.  Torontonians love being the cool kids.  "Joining CrossFit is like making it into the A-list world of fitness."  lol.. 
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Nuh

• Just Doin' Me
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 127
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
I'm with Dana, it's not my thing, but I respect anything gets people up and off the couch (so to speak).

One thing that really struck me about the article was the idea that Crossfit is somehow for the elite - the super cool kids.  This really is the way to get Torontonians signed up.  Torontonians love being the cool kids.  "Joining CrossFit is like making it into the A-list world of fitness."  lol..

Honestly at the one here it is the "Snooty" people who joined. You know... the wives who don't have to work and have a nanny to take care of the kids. The doctors and lawyers and such. The "Up-ity" crowd. It was opened by a local dentist who retired so everyone went running over there to be one of the cool kids too! LOL!

PLUS... one months membership is $140. You go on their schedule and that is only 4 times per week. Hell my annual membership with key for 24/7 access is $250 per year.  :o No thanks Geoffery!!
Dana

HBE=Hen Baby Embryos

"Gonna be stupid...gotta be tuff" - Knothead

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »
I don't agree with the timed part. Most people try and outdo each other leading to excessive fatigue, then poor form, then injuries.

We had a few at work that did cf, lead by one convert, but at least they had instructors that had true oly lifting experience. I just got annoyed when they moved it into our work gym as there is not much room and they took up a lot of space. Finally told one of them to do his burpees in the basketball court.

He has since left and I have our weight room back….ah, the peace and quiet back (except for me blaring the radio).
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline mslman71

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 182
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »
I don't agree with the timed part. Most people try and outdo each other leading to excessive fatigue, then poor form, then injuries.

Yep, this is the key point I think. Highly technical lifts against the clock to exhaustion is a [stupid] recipe for disaster. It doesn't make any sense.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." N. Bohr