Author Topic: Der Alta - aware me on this?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Stile

Der Alta - aware me on this?
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:14:11 PM »
Would I be able to do this on May 9th with no prior strongman training?

http://www.nastrongman.com/?page_id=2368

BW 161
bench 225
strict press 170
squat 315
DL 445

Its on may 9th and 1 mile from my house...

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
Re: Der Alta - aware me on this?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
Not sure why you'd need me to check it, but, yes, you can certainly sign up and compete.

A few things to keep in mind.
The lightweight Cut-off is 230lbs.  You'll be competing against guys that are almost 70lbs heavier than you.
NAS doesn't test of any type of chemicals, there fore you'll be against guys 70lbs heavier, and Juiced up.

Your first event is the Yoke Walk.  That's 60' with 500lbs on your shoulders.
Second event, The Press Medley. 200lb Log, 120lb Dumbell, 200lb Block, all pressed overhead. and the Block is for Reps.
Third Event, is a Car Deadlift.  usually, this works out similar to a Rack Pull of 500-700lbs. You get straps, so that helps.
Fourth Event, Farmers Carry. 210lbs in each hand, no Straps, 60'.
Final event, Atlas stones. Your first stone, usually to 60" or so, is 20lbs heavier that you.  The platforms usually drop 4" each, the last one being about 40" and you'll be loading a 260lb Stone.

Technique on the Log and Stones is critical.  If you can get into a Strongman gym in the area, spend the cash and work with a trainer for a few hours.  They'll help huge amounts in sorting the technique.

I'm attempting my first one on May 23rd.  I've a bit of Strongman training, and I've been working on each event.  The only event I have hesitation in my competition is, the 140lb Dumbell overhead.  I've worked with a few trainers, and they really helped me.

How do you feel about those weights? Are they something you think you can handle? If it's being held a mile from your house, there likely is a Strongman Gym somewhere nearby.  A google search turns up a few hits. Check in and see what they look like.  It'll be an atmosphere you won't find anywhere else.

If you decide skip this one and train for it for next year (this is the 4th one they've done), you had better go take pics and vids.
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline Stile

Re: Der Alta - aware me on this?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Well, I tried a dumbbell press during my lunch break using an Olympic dumbbell with 25's. Did 100 pounds kinda ok. Tried 120, and it aint happening. Push pressing a 200 pound barbell was fine at least. Not really interested in winning a comp, just want to try and finish one. I know I can not compete with the bigger dudes. Maybe I'll give it a try next year. Thanks for the info.