Author Topic: BarSense  (Read 1689 times)

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
BarSense
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
I love to video my big 3 lifts so I can analyze my form and look back over time at how I've improved.  I keep all my lifts on my laptop and only upload to the tubez and post here for PRs.  I saw someone on another site mention BarSense for Android and downloaded a copy.  It was free, so nothing really to lose.

What it does is track and record your bar path and bar velocity.  For the path, it draws lines on your video to trace how the bar moves.  For velocity, it creates a graph showing both eccentric and concentric velocities.  Pretty cool idea.  I was happy to see that my concentric was faster than my eccentric for squat which is not how I feel with a bar on my back.  I could see form breaking down coming out of the hole with too much leaning forward over my toes.

However, for me it seems a little buggy when I load videos taken from my phone or do them in real time.  I had better luck using old videos that I took with my GoPro and loading them into the app.  The problem with that way is that it takes a long, long time to do all the work.  For a 5 rep set it took about 15 minutes so it's not something I could use between sets.

I think if the app was ported over to a windows app it would perform better (and be more convenient for me).  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to save the data to a separate video file or I'd post up mine.  Instead, they get uploaded to the barsense site and you share out a link.  I uploaded two about 30 minutes ago and the site is still telling me "We're busy preparing the video for viewing. Please check back in a few minutes."  If and when that changes, I'll post links in here.  If that never works, I'll use the GoPro to take  a quick video of what it looks like.

On their website they say they are working on an iPhone version.

http://www.barsense.com/

Improve your Squat with BarSense

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: BarSense
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »
I think we were all a little leery of science meeting strength when Ivan Darko killed Apollo Creed, it was evil. But now in our very hands we hold technology that rivals that lab that he trained in.

Yet Rocky won. Ivan said "He is like Iron."

Track all you want, but the guy with the heart, will and determination of Rocky will always be champion over the guy on his smartphone.

:P
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
Boom!  My google-foo is on tonight.  After posting this and thinking about a Windows app, I decided to look for something similar.  found this...

http://www.kinovea.org/

From my test, I need some more work on my squat form.  My squat has been feeling awkward and not as comfortable and the forward lean is likely the reason.

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »
Here's an example of how my form has gone to shit.  The first video was from this past Tuesday with 335 for a set of 5.  The second video was from October with my current PR of 435.  Both using the Kinovea application to trace the bar path.  You would think form on a 1RM would be worse than a 5RM.

This is telling me to back off on the weight a little bit and work on sitting back more.  I need to start videoing from the side since I don't believe I'm hitting proper depth anymore.  Actually, I'm certain I'm not.  I have 9 weeks to fix that before my meet.  Today, I did box squats to ensure depth and I concentrated on keeping the bar over mid-foot.  I haven't reviewed any videos yet, but I think I did better.  I definitely achieved correct depth.

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
WOW....that is awesome.

I will start using it for sure.

I dug around for a vid to use it.  This is going back a bit of 495x4.   Glad to see my form did not crap out at the end and stayed fairly consistent.   Always feel like I am butchering up my last rep....

Capture 12

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
WOW....that is awesome.

I will start using it for sure.

I dug around for a vid to use it.  This is going back a bit of 495x4.   Glad to see my form did not crap out at the end and stayed fairly consistent.   Always feel like I am butchering up my last rep....

Capture 12

Those look like all good reps to me.  Nice straight lines ID! 

I fucked up my camera position tonight.  The end of the bar isn't visible at the top of the reps so I couldn't use the tracing function.  I instead placed a vertical line from mid-foot upwards and just reviewed the reps by eyeballing them.  I think it's an improvement for 2 days of thought.  I'm okay with the wiggle at the bottom when I unload on the box and for the most part, the bar remained within range of mid-foot.  For this exercise, I sat on the box but tried not to lean back.  For the positive part of the rep, I tried to be as explosive as I could while keeping the bar where it was supposed to be.