Author Topic: Bottom up Squats  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Bottom up Squats
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
Anyone try these?   I've thought about this before prior to hearing about them, then saw Mike O'Hearn training them.  The below vid starts is working a pretty high squat, I'll probably drop it down lower than this guy.  Anyways,  wanted to see if anyone's tried them and their thoughts on them.

Bottom-Up Back Squat
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Bottom up Squats
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
I have seen these done in the gym by a group of people exactly once.

Never tried them myself.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online BigDaddy

• BigDaddy is in the house
  • Height: 6'6"
  • Weight: 255
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
I watched a video on various "dead" movements you can do in the power rack.  Bench, OHP, Squat, etc.

Seems like a good idea for working sticking points, and taking muscle rebound out of the equation.

Only issue I see, is it would probably be hard to get yourself setup correctly under the bar at full depth, or a least it would be for me.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-pena-power-rack-partial-movements.html
"If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done."

"Donít tell me what you canít do ó you donít know what you canít do. What you think you canít do is only what you wonít do."

Offline Get-n-fit

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »
^^^ yeah,  I like doing rack presses for Bench, Haven't tried them for OHP.  Will give squats a go tomorrow.
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
I've done dead benching but never OHP or squats.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline itsagoodday

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 164
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
I know these as Anderson squats, and I love them.  They wind up in my program regularly.  For me, I'm doing them from full depth, so below parallel.  I know some people do them higher, but I really don't see any point to that for my purposes.  For me, they're a great way to concentrate on exploding up out of the bottom position, as I tend to be a very slow squatter if left to my own devices.

And no, I can't for the life of me cram myself under the bar and get set up that way for the first rep.  I set up and unrack normally (standing up like I'm about to do a regular squat), drop down onto the safeties, pause for several seconds and then start the first rep.  That's also the way I rep them out.

Online BigDaddy

• BigDaddy is in the house
  • Height: 6'6"
  • Weight: 255
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »
And no, I can't for the life of me cram myself under the bar and get set up that way for the first rep.  I set up and unrack normally (standing up like I'm about to do a regular squat), drop down onto the safeties, pause for several seconds and then start the first rep.  That's also the way I rep them out.

Ah, that makes more sense than trying to get setup under the bar at the bottom.

I might give these a try.
"If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done."

"Donít tell me what you canít do ó you donít know what you canít do. What you think you canít do is only what you wonít do."

Offline Fiend_73

• Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 260
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
This is "Power factor Training" circa the 1990's.
Every movement is divided into three lifting segments, each 1/3rd is meant to be done in its own set and finally culminates in full ROM reps for the end sets.

Without doing EVERY 1/3rd AND without the full ROM reps at the end imo it is pointless.
You can practice sticking points all you want but unless you're practicing moving through sticking points with full weight and a full ROM doing a 1/3rd of a rep (even if its more weight than full ROM) isn't going to do much.

However, in terms of developing a greater mind/muscle connection this technique worked rather well for me.

Offline Get-n-fit

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »

That's exactly how Mike O'Hearn does them and what I was planning on doing. I just have to be cautious on the way down so it doesn't slam to hard on the safeties or I'll piss off the gym owner
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline bobdickgus

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 189lb
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
Yeah basically the same concept as pausing at the bottom, remove the stretch contribution, and as the majority of lifters weak point is coming out of the hole it is a decent way to increase strength.
Superior to simply increasing volume? dunno but novel stimulus seem to give some benefits.
Chance of seeing a decent study on the subject in well trained individuals with enough time and numbers of participants = 0%.
Steak and eggs forever!