Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 73554 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
Morning!

I'm officially over whatever was ailing me last week! Yay me! The rashes flared up on the weekend but I went and got it checked out was told to use a cortisol cream on it for now. I got it, slapped it on and everything calmed down quickly...let's hope it stays that way.

This morning was to be my "back to the gym" day.... ::)

instead I slept through my alarm (didn't hear the damn thing at all!) and barely made it to work on time.

Just another manic Monday (wish it were Sunday   :P)

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
OK Susanna... ;D

As for not training this morning:  :slap:
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Merkley

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
03/03/15

-Bent Over Barbell Rows-

Barx10
135x5
225x5x2

-Incline Dumbbell Press-

50x10x2

-One Legged Leg Press-

135x10
225x5x2

-Parallel Bar Dip-

BWx10x2

-Stationary bike-

15 min.
1min moderate/30 sec max intervals

Total time =45 min

I initially was going to switch up my program up after completing this past phase. However, I've decided to complete this protocol in all it's entirety. In my opinion it's only fair that I do so. I've gained alot of size and strength thus far. Why change things up when I seem to be having such amazing results?

Everything was fairly light today, just wanted to take this week to get used to everything. By next week I will be in full swing, though I'm going to push more for rep PR's than weight this time around. That's not to say I won't be adding weight, but I want to focus more on upping the rep range. I may push more for rep PR's for the next 4 weeks and then push for weight PR's for the latter half of the phase (I'm thinking out loud so to speak on how I'm going to approach this phase....it's a different approach but within the guidelines of the protocol...kind of a linear periodization).

Finally, I want to add some bike work at the end of my workouts. This will be HIIT. I'm feeling fat and sluggish and that isn't flying well with me at all. So I'm going to try and lighten the load as well as build up my cardiovascular endurance.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:59:50 PM by Merkley »
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Today was my day off, thank Christ

I was up at 3 am, at work for 4 am, and finished work at 4 pm! Epic rush to get more of dat der proteeeenz from Popeyes and Metro (as well as other groceries), got home, put everything away, took da perpers for a W (translation : I took my dog for a walk), ate some leftover beef from last night, commented on here, starting laundry, and about to get the dishes done.....

Plus I'd like to get in some stretching, meditation/bath, and half a million other things done before I pick up Mrs. Merkley from the business (around 7:30 ish) and hopefully in bed by 8-9. Ufffff!

Hopefully I'll sleep tonight....I need it, past two days I haven't slept worth shit
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
Always sucks when you're running short on sleep. Get some zzzzz's man  ;)
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:31 AM »
Always sucks when you're running short on sleep. Get some zzzzz's man  ;)

Yep I hear ya.....and night 3 was a bust. Again I barely slept, oh well.....time to go see Dr. Gym this morning and see if the ole' iron might be able do the trick for today (that or gravol....or both!!)
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2015, 09:26:20 AM »
03/05/15

-Squat-

Barx10
135x10
225x10x2

-Seated Cable Row-

60x10
120x10
165x10x2

-Bench Press-

Barx15
135x10
225x3 -lower back arch dropped and distracted me
185x10 -Form was perfect, was able to use my legs for push (kept my ass on the bench, and was driving my upper back into the bench and kept my shoulder blades tight together)

-Barbell Shrug-

Barx20
135x10
225x10x2

Stationary bike
16:30 min 1:30 min moderate/0:30 sec max push

Total time : 50 min

My lifts were...what they were. I wasn't impressed but not completely disappointed either. My form/flexibility was on point (minus the 225 bench) which made me happy as well my body was "bad" pain free.

Bike work was damn tough, I was pushing so hard my eyes couldn't focus on ANYTHING. After awhile I just closed my eyes, gripped the handles...

FOCUS

UNLEASH

When pain would step I up, I just gritted my teeth and buried that bitch 6 feet deep.

(I think I just gave myself some new ideas for shirts, yay!)

Diet has been improving a bit, I've had a couple slips but I'm trying. Keeping my protein high (I've had a hard time keeping my protein on point....no idea why) dropped the carbs down quite a bit, and raised the fats up. The adjustment has been too bad, but again I've had my slips.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:28:20 AM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
185x10 -Form was perfect, was able to use my legs for push (kept my ass on the bench, and was driving my upper back into the bench and kept my shoulder blades tight together)

Awesome, I love that feeling on the bench when it all comes together.  I remember the first time I found the form, and a lightbulb switched on in my head, and I was like - Wow, now I know why this is considered one of the big compound movements.  It really is a full body exercise!

Keep up the good work Merk.
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15

Offline Merkley

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »

Awesome, I love that feeling on the bench when it all comes together.  I remember the first time I found the form, and a lightbulb switched on in my head, and I was like - Wow, now I know why this is considered one of the big compound movements.  It really is a full body exercise!

Keep up the good work Merk.

Thanks! it only took me 17 years to get the swing of things on bench.....and squat.....and deads. O.o

Makes me wonder what the fuck I was doing before this year?...and somehow I looked good doing it.

Dafuq?
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
-Parallel Chin up-

BWx10x2 -Elbow pain minor

-Dumbbell Military Press-

20x10
30x10
50x10
60x5
50x10

-Rack Deadlift- (set up for a couple inches below knee)

Barx10
135x10
225x10
315x3
405x1
405x1

-Barbell Curls-

30x10
50x10
70x5
90x5x2

-Torture Bike-

16:00 min 1:30 moderate/0:30 max

Total time

45 min

Todays' workout was light-ish, again working a lot on form and getting used to the new regime. Though I just couldn't help myself with the rack dead's. The right music came on and it was go time, instead of overthinking the 405 I said to myself...

FOCUS

DESTROY

GRIP N' RIP

and I did just that

It was successful, though my lowerback paid the price. The pump was so bad it was PAINFUL! I moved onto the barbell curls and honest to god when I grabbed the 30lbs straight bar to curl I thought I was going to collapse from the pain. I did the set and then gave myself a couple mins for things to calm down. Thankfully things did and I was able to resume my workout, though I was still in extreme discomfort.

I kept having to ask myself

IS THIS ALL YOU GOT

It helped push my through

I didn't seem to have the same rigor I had on Tuesday and Thursday for the torture bike. I gave it my all, but it just didn't seem good enough. I felt gassed out mentally and physically, but again I gave it my all for what was left in the tank.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:14:40 AM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »
Awesome workout Merk.  Way to persevere and fight through.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2015, 10:48:54 AM »
Awesome workout Merk.  Way to persevere and fight through.

Thanks....it wasn't easy, then again if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

....besides I have this obsession of seeing how far I can push myself, what can I say? I like pain...a lot! HA!

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
Failed to mention but I was 212 lbs this morning. Holy hell! I haven't been this fuckin' heavy since 2005!!!! To be honest I don't like it, not one bit!

I really need to lighten the load, I'm eating better and yet still gaining, let's hope it's the good kind of weight gain
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
Failed to mention but I was 212 lbs this morning. Holy hell! I haven't been this fuckin' heavy since 2005!!!! To be honest I don't like it, not one bit!

I really need to lighten the load, I'm eating better and yet still gaining, let's hope it's the good kind of weight gain

You have a goal weight or something else? I hit 216 before I said enough was enough. At 204 right now and am looking forward to sub-200.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »

You have a goal weight or something else? I hit 216 before I said enough was enough. At 204 right now and am looking forward to sub-200.

Nah, no goal weight per se. I just use the mirror and how my body feels....I was just shocked as shit to see I'm up to 212 lbs. I'm gonna try and drop to 10-15% BF
 – Socrates