Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 73583 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Nice work.  Those missed reps are on Flex.  :D

I like your thinking! We'll just blame him, heh, heh
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »
02/18/2015

-Flat Bench-

135x3x2
185x7
205x5
225x3
245x3
255x1
255xFAIL

-Incline Dumbbell Press-

50x10
60x7
70x7
85x5x2

-Decline Dumbbell Press-

60x10
70x7
80x5x2

-Pec Dec-

125x10
135x10x2

Supersetted with

-Tricep Pulldown_
90x20x3

Today was different workout wise. This was much more a hypertrophy style workout and I am really not used to that at all, but it was tons of fun! (It's been awhile since I found a workout "fun"). What happened was I got to the gym and realized today was my day off, lol. Since I didn't feel like doing my regular scheduled workout (I could make an excuse here and say I just didn't have the steam for it...blah, blah, blah but the fact is...I JUST DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT PERIOD!)

So I decided to workout with my buddy Paulie T. I asked him what he was training today, he said chest....figured what the hell and joined him.

Tomorrow....I might take the day off....or I might train, we'll see.

Stay tuned! Same Bat time, same bat channel!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:47:39 AM by Merkley »
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Stile

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
nice bench mate

Offline Merkley

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
nice bench mate

Thanks Mang! I'm eating some serious humble pie on the bench, it went from being my strongest suit to now my weakest. But I'm trying!  ;D Hope to get that shit back into the 300's!
 – Socrates

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
Looks like a good chest workout and some real good numbers.  8)
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Merkley

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »

As I said it was fun, seriously. I haven't trained with anyone for a long time so it was refreshing.

Though....I'm regretting it a bit. I'm beginning to notice pain in my right shoulder, and not the good kind. The pain seems to be stemming from the supraspinatus.

Fuck
 – Socrates

Online sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »

As I said it was fun, seriously. I haven't trained with anyone for a long time so it was refreshing.

Though....I'm regretting it a bit. I'm beginning to notice pain in my right shoulder, and not the good kind. The pain seems to be stemming from the supraspinatus.

Fuck

Not something to mess with. Maybe ice it down some or try a heating pad if there's no swelling. I love my heating pad.  ;D
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »
Nice chest session, Merk!  Did you move up a cup size by the end?

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »

Fuck

Good Chest work man!  I've been training with a partner for about 2 years now and it's great being able to push each other past our limits.
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Merkley

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »
Nice chest session, Merk!  Did you move up a cup size by the end?

2 infact!, yay!

I have theories as to why

1- It was that good of a workout
2- Estrogen from being a pussy

You decide!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

Fuck

Good Chest work man!  I've been training with a partner for about 2 years now and it's great being able to push each other past our limits.

Thanks!

At this point it'd be nice to have a training partner full time. Paulie would be up for it for sure, but our training styles and goals are totally different.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:47 AM »
Welp my boobage is....it's seen better days. I haven't felt DOM's like this since October. It's an all too familiar feeling, and one I don't tend to miss on most days.

The right shoulder is feeling better, But I'm going to take it easy on for awhile (I have one more workout for my protocol and then I'm heading into a deload phase, most likely for a couple of weeks)

Currently, I'm trying to figure out if I want to stick out the remainder of my protocol (which is for another 4.5 months, 2 more phases of 8 week blocks) or change up to DUP.

I'm thinking DUP, but I would love to finish my current program to the end just to say I finished it.

decisions, decisions.

5 min before heading back to the grind.

Out
 – Socrates

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »
Pec DOMS is the best!  Makes me feel like strutting around with my chest out all day. 

Okay, I had to google DUP.  It sounds like a good thing.  This is a very good straight-forward article:  http://www.jmaxfitness.com/blog/daily-undulating-periodization/

It sounds so simple and easy to put into practice.  Hmmm, got me thinking...  Except that I hate squats and like variety, so I would be wary of the monotony. 
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15

Offline Merkley

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
I used to like DOM's and then at some point I was like

"Fuck, this is annoying"

and that was that, lol.

DUP training seems to be quite effective. I've had my own stint with "DUP" training when I was in high school (I was completely oblivious to at that point). I started benching back in grade 9 and I could barely lift 110 lbs on the machine! I then benched almost every day until the latter part of grade 10 into grade 11....near the end I was benching 300 lbs. It was a similar style of one of days I would bench 135 as many times as I could, others was 1 rep max, and others was how many times I could bench 225, etc., etc.

Of course this may have contributed to my shoulders being as eff'd as they are now, but that's a different story altogether! That's more due to improper form and the like.

So now it's just finding a structure that works best for me and my needs. I really appreciate the link thank you, it's one I came across just the other day infact. (the examples are overall the same)

I was looking at the example given in this article closer to the bottom of the page

http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-every-mans-guide-to-dup/

– Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
<raises hand slowly>

Chest dome right here too. From benching on Tuesday.
I'd probably have trouble with dup unless I wrote it down.
The times I forget my cheat sheet are the days I'm scratching my head going "what the heck am I supposed to do?!"  :P
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr