Author Topic: Be positive, Appreciate, Elevate.  (Read 148778 times)

Offline Merkley

• Weight: Thicck Boi
Re: Be positive, Appreciate, Elevate.
« Reply #1545 on: July 05, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
July 4th
10.01 km run 6:41 min/km
1.18 km walk
1.20 km walk

July 5th
12.78 km run
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1546 on: July 30, 2020, 08:16:45 AM »
I'm alive.

Lots of running (avg 25 km a week), running PR's (5km in 28 min), and now biking has been added to the mix.

Over the past month or so I have slowly built up what I like to call the torture chamber. I have a decent elite Chrono hydro mag "classic" bike trainer, speed and cadence sensors for the rear hub and crank arm of the bike, ANT+ adapter for my laptop, HDMI'd to a 50-inch tv, rubber flooring, fans, the road bike itself, and of course a very tolerant wife for letting me convert part of the living room into this.  :P

I'm using the bike twice a day at this point to get my body (mainly my ass) adapted to biking as quickly as possible. The idea is to start bike commuting for the next few months, just to try something new. I'm looking at 26 km round trip, currently, I'm biking 10 km in the morning and most recently 13 km in the evening. So hopefully by next week I'll be doing 13 k in the morning and 13 k in the evening. With the long weekend coming up it seems like a good opportunity to do a test bike to work and back just to see how it feels. With these new lifestyle changes I may have to make some adjustments to my running schedule.

Resistance training has fallen off. Perhaps with stage 3 getting the green light recently, I'll reactivate my gym pass and get back to hitting the weights.

We shall see...

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1547 on: September 17, 2020, 08:13:10 AM »
Good Morning.

The journals here seem to be a desert wasteland, minus Shawn of course.

Since July 30th I've done lots of running, although the past couple weeks I've cut back on the long distance stuff. Since Jan I have achieved my goals of running a 5k, 10k, and as of a couple weeks ago a half marathon (21.1km). Over the past 9 months I have went on to run both 5k's and 10k's multiple times, failed 21.1km twice, nailed it the third, lost 40 lbs, and failed at keeping any sort of routine for resistance training (since the gym shutdown in March).

Currently my goals are to maintain a sub 200 lbs weight, run a 5k in 25 min (current best is 28:01), and successfully complete the Mountain dog "Baby Groot" program.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1548 on: September 17, 2020, 08:54:10 AM »
Is that another human??? Welcome to IS 😂
Glad you been working buddy, Grats in the running and smashing your goals!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1549 on: September 22, 2020, 09:12:30 AM »
Is that another human??? Welcome to IS 😂
Glad you been working buddy, Grats in the running and smashing your goals!

LOL! Right?!

I cannot believe how dead it is in here, yeesh.

Glad to see you've been hard at it all this time.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1550 on: September 22, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
Mernin'

Here we are 3rd training day back in the gym and man it's amazing to be back. Although running on the dreadmill is....weird. I've been doing my runs right after my training and I have to say it's so different then running outside. I think I'm going to continue to do my run training after my workouts but run outside for as long as the weather permits me to. Considering I was running outside in Jan last year, I'm pretty sure I can do the same thing this year.

I am going to take my measurements today and see how my body responds to the baby Groot program.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1551 on: September 23, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »
Quick run last night (2.25km).

Tonight I will have CD/AG drills and a full body lower focus training session.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1552 on: September 25, 2020, 08:30:09 AM »
I've been moving my training sessions around like crazy. I did full body lower focus last night...squats for the first time in 7 months give or take....yeeesh.

My ego was embarrassed.

Tonight will be a run night...providing I can move my legs.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1553 on: September 28, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
More training session re-scheduling.

My legs were in awful shape after my lower body focused session. I opted to let my legs rest a wee bit and skipped a run session. As time goes by I'm confident I won't be skipping run days

I wrapped up last week getting all my workouts in, nutrition needs improvement, and my runs are less than stellar with all the new stimulus. In a couple weeks I should be adapted but I will keep plugging away.

I gotta say it's amazing to be back in the gym.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1554 on: September 29, 2020, 09:08:27 AM »
 4 km run last night with an average of 6:03 min/km. Not bad, not great. I need to shave an entire minute per km off that to make a 25 min 5k. I have my work cut out for me. As I have said previously my best is 28 min so to shave 3 min off that, whew. I have just over 8 weeks to make that happen since I have decided to do this on my birthday. Pass or fail I think it will be a great way to start 36.

Ok so I have decided to do some measurements.

Weight 202 (+15 lbs) - Compared to July 1rst

Neck -17 (+1)
 Chest -44 (?)
 Waist -39 (+3)
 Hip -38.5 (+1)
 Bicep -16 (+0.5)
 Thigh -25 (+1.5)
 Calf -15.25 (-)

We'll see what happens by the time I wrap things up with the Baby Groot program.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1555 on: October 13, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
 I've been falling off the bandwagon with my updates. Normally I try and get them done during the slow parts of my day at work but things have been picking up as we are getting into tire season and I'm completely forgetting. Since it isn't in my at home routine I don't even think about it.

Ok, so since the 29th I've dropped running and been focusing on weight training. This was a hard decision to make but I feel it was necessary. For me to run 3 times a week and train 3 times a week just isn't in the cards. Time is my biggest factor here. So either it was weight training or running, I chose weight training.

Currently I'm entering my 5th week of weight training and it's coming along really well!

JULY 1ST, 2020

187 LBS
NECK-16
CHEST-42
WAIST-36
HIP-37.5
BICEP-15.5
THIGH-23.5
CALF-15.25

SEPT 29TH, 2020
202 LBS (+15 LBS) (2200 CALORIES DAILY)
NECK-17 (+1)
CHEST-44 (+2)
WAIST-39 (+3)
HIP-38.5 (+1)
BICEP 16 (+0.5)
THIGH-25 (+1.5)
CALF-15.25 (-)

OCT 12, 2020
208 LBS (2200-2500 CALORIES DAILY)
NECK-17.5 (+0.5)
CHEST-45 (+1)
WAIST-38 (-1)
HIP-38 (-0.5)
BICEP-16.75 (+0.75)
THIGH-27.25 (+2.25)
CALF-15.5 (+0.25)

CURRENT TOTAL CHANGE
WEIGHT +21 LBS
NECK +1.5
CHEST +3
WAIST +2
HIP +1
BICEP +1.75
THIGH +4.25
CALF +0.25

My bodies response to the food increase and weight training stimulus has been impressive. I have to admit it's bittersweet though. To see my body respond the way it has, amazing! seeing my weight at 208 though...not so amazing. The goal is still to get into the 160's to make things easier on my joints, cardiovascular system, CNS, and for hernia surgery.

Looking at my thigh change...I'm going to double check the measurement I have written down at home. I have a feeling I inputted it incorrectly.

Being honest with myself and all of you, I'm going to keep doing what I am doing. Why? From a measurements perspective it looks like I am losing fat, although my weight is going up. I might as well keep doing what I am doing until I stop losing fat. Once I get to the point where I'm no long losing fat then I'll pull back.

Just because I'm shooting for 160 doesn't mean it has to be a bad looking/average 160, right?
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1556 on: October 14, 2020, 07:33:10 AM »
 I was smart in checking the thigh measurement.

It was 26.25 not 27.25, making it +3.25 inches I have gained to my thigh.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1557 on: October 28, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »
Morning,

Quick drop in.

Training is going well, measurements are all doing the right things.

OCT 12, 2020
206 LBS (2200-2500 CALORIES DAILY)
NECK-17 (-0.5)
CHEST-47 (+2)
WAIST-37.5 (-0.5)
HIP- 38 (0)
BICEP-17.0 (+0.25)
THIGH-27.0 (+0.5)
CALF-15.5 (0)

CURRENT TOTAL CHANGE SINCE JULY 1ST
WEIGHT +19 LBS
NECK +1.0
CHEST +5
WAIST +1
HIP +0.5
BICEP +1.50
THIGH +3.50
CALF +0.5

– Arnold Schwarzenegger