Author Topic: Be positive, Appreciate, Elevate.  (Read 115658 times)

Online Merkley

• Self love my friends, appreciate, elevate.
  • Weight: Working on making it better.
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #1470 on: December 30, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
WEEK 8 DELOAD

GB ARMS:

This was painful as fuck, no way around it. 20 lbs dumbbells were ruining my arms. Barbell curls with 60 lbs and the preacher curls with 75 lbs had me questioning my current life choices....
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1471 on: December 30, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
WEEK 9 DELOAD

GB BACK:

Today was a smoother workout. My elbows didn't give me a rough time and I managed to get through pain free! I made sure not to abuse the situation. ALSO! I managed some successful lat pulldowns! I changed the handle from the normal lat pulldown handle to the handle that allows for a neutral grip, WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! By successful I mean I could feel it in my back and I didn't have to stress my arms to get through the motion.

I'm taking an extra deload week. I pushed way too hard these past couple of deload weeks and feel I need another week of actual deloading. I need to lighten the weight vs. just dropping on volume. I've been putting too much stress weight wise on my body and it's really affecting me negatively.

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1472 on: December 31, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
Sounds like you have been beating down the body hard buddy, rest up and come back killing it! Happy New Year!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1473 on: January 06, 2020, 11:07:22 AM »
Sounds like you have been beating down the body hard buddy, rest up and come back killing it! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you as well.

I finished my week 9 deload.... But I have to be honest I'm still feeling rough, really rough. All there seems to be is pain, regression, and zero enjoyment in training. I don't want to train and when I do I want to get it done as fast as I can and I find myself doing only things I like to do and with weight amounts I want to do (which right now isn't much). Overall I feel shitty, mentally, physically....

In fact, the only thing I want to do is sit with a good book and read. This is how I spent the vast majority of my weekend. (The eagle and the dragon by Chris Duffin, amazing read!)

I'm speculating that this is a mixture of both my training taking it's toll and my nutrition not matching up to the demands I've put on myself, I dunno.

In any case, I'm going to continue with the remainder of the GB program. Although I'm going to be utilizing more auto regulation at this point.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1474 on: January 06, 2020, 01:53:28 PM »

Happy New Year to you as well.

I finished my week 9 deload.... But I have to be honest I'm still feeling rough, really rough. All there seems to be is pain, regression, and zero enjoyment in training. I don't want to train and when I do I want to get it done as fast as I can and I find myself doing only things I like to do and with weight amounts I want to do (which right now isn't much). Overall I feel shitty, mentally, physically....

In fact, the only thing I want to do is sit with a good book and read. This is how I spent the vast majority of my weekend. (The eagle and the dragon by Chris Duffin, amazing read!)

I'm speculating that this is a mixture of both my training taking it's toll and my nutrition not matching up to the demands I've put on myself, I dunno.

In any case, I'm going to continue with the remainder of the GB program. Although I'm going to be utilizing more auto regulation at this point.
Sounds like a good plan to auto regulate from here in, looks to be a very demanding program. It’s hard finding that balance of enough work to grow, and not too much work to burn dafuq out! You will get that hunger back!
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1475 on: January 07, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to auto regulate from here in, looks to be a very demanding program. It’s hard finding that balance of enough work to grow, and not too much work to burn dafuq out! You will get that hunger back!

I hear ya! I never know when to back off until it's too late. Even when I do notice signs of fatigue there are many times I ignore it thinking I'm having an off day and just push through it. Next thing you know I've injured myself or end up in these kind of situations.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1476 on: January 07, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »

I hear ya! I never know when to back off until it's too late. Even when I do notice signs of fatigue there are many times I ignore it thinking I'm having an off day and just push through it. Next thing you know I've injured myself or end up in these kind of situations.
Haha I’m the same way
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1477 on: January 08, 2020, 09:11:36 AM »
WEEK 10

GB LEGS:

Things were off to a rough start however as the workout progressed things got better. By the end of it I felt I had a decent workout even though I wasn't pushing my limits.

Right now my body is feeling pretty good minus my right elbow/shoulder, it's been a little on the cranky side but nothing I cannot handle.

In other news I wrapped up reading the eagle and the dragon by Chris Duffin, fucking amazing read. I highly suggest getting it! After reading it I immediately got the audio version (that he actually reads). I'm going to go through the audio version right away to experience the book differently. I know it sounds crazy but man.....it was awesome!
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1478 on: January 13, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »
WEEK 10

GB CHEST:

This was an in and out workout, nothing special, 45 min and done.

I've been adding in 20 min walks after my training just to be a little more mobile.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1479 on: January 13, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
WEEK 10

GB BACK/ARMS.

I wanted additional recovery time so I combined my back workout with arms. I've lightened the load for both back and arms so I was in an out in 30 min. My forearms and biceps are still painful to train, going over 15 lbs dumbbells is fucking brutal. Hell even doing 10 lbs, 8 lbs, and 5 lbs, is a challenge.

I think it's time I either drop arm work for awhile or get things checked out or both!

Right shoulder is ruined, right knee is not doing so well, and my right lat has been getting painful muscle spasms for the past 4 days....

Seems I should be taken out back like ole' Yeller. lol

The upside, I get to learn what may be causing these issues and how to correct them. :)

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1480 on: January 14, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »
Hope u start to feel better buddy, dialing it back might be the smart move for a bit.
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1481 on: January 15, 2020, 10:19:09 AM »
Hope u start to feel better buddy, dialing it back might be the smart move for a bit.

Yeah, me too. I don't believe my body is giving me any other choice other than to back off.

LOL, listen to me...I'm not the one needing a new hip.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1482 on: January 15, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »

Yeah, me too. I don't believe my body is giving me any other choice other than to back off.

LOL, listen to me...I'm not the one needing a new hip.
Hahahaha touché
😂
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1483 on: January 20, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »
 I did my leg workout in the beginning of the week and that was it for training until yesterday. Yesterday, I managed to get to the gym and did a quick 45 min upper body workout before the gym closed.

As much as it pains me to say this, but I'm ending the GB training. It's a great training program but right now I'm just so fucking beat up and in need of some re-structuring. I look forward to re-visiting this program in the near future and hopefully in a caloric surplus. What I'm going to do now I'm not too sure but it'll be refreshing to be logging my training sessions in detail again.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1484 on: January 26, 2020, 01:03:11 PM »
I took some time off.

I didn't go to the gym the entire week and I feel better for it. Everything is close to back to normal. I've had a couple flare ups with my right knee but if I stick to the agile 8 routine daily I can keep the issue at bay.

Last Sunday I took the plunge and started to introduce the Wim Hof method to my daily routine and I have to say I'm impressed. I practice the breathing techniques twice a day, once in the morning for 3 rounds and then in the evening for 7-10 rounds. The evening breathing session brings meaning to the saying "Getting high on your own supply". Also I do 5 min (timed) cold showers. The cold showers aren't new to me nor is hydrotherapy as a whole but combining deep, control breathing while doing the cold showering has made the experience far more tolerable. Now on day 7 I'm far more tolerant than I was on day 1.

I went to the gym last night and did a quickie.

DEADLIFTS
135x20
225x5
275x3
315x3
365x1
415x1

MILITARY PRESS
BARx10
95x10
135x3
155x3
175x1

TRICEP PUSHDOWN
80x10
120x10
150x5
190x5

FIN

I went in and did whatever I felt like and left. I'm going to pop in today and do some bench, squat, biceps, and then call it a day.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger