Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 68681 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #1110 on: April 10, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Last night marks workout 20.

I pumped out the hypertrophy leg workout from last week that I had missed. Tonight starts this weeks bag 'o fun in the gym. I'm still feeling pretty cooked from Sundays tomfoolery, but I'll manage.

I was up this morning at 5 am cooking food, making meals, and doing clean up. I was quite happy with myself that I managed to get done what I did. It'll make for a nicer evening that's for sure.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:33:17 AM by Merkley »
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1111 on: April 11, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »
Last nights upper body power workout is in the books and I have to say I was really happy with.

Seated rows 3x5 -whole stack, woo! - That was a jump from 120-140 to 200.
 Pull ups 2x6 - elbows = dead
 Chin ups 2x6 - AMAZING!
 Chest Press - 3x5 - a jump from 140 with a super awesome chest squeeze to 200!
 Dips 2x10
 Shoulder Press - 3x10 w/145, nothing to write home about, but shoulder engagement was strong
 Cambered Bar curls - 3x10, DA PUMP WUZ REEL!
 Tricep Press down - 3x10, again amazing!

I felt full, strong, and like I was 20....minus the pull ups, they sucked. Ever since I started to use chicken broth for cooking my rice I have noticed a dramatic difference (a little trick I came across from Stan Efferding). The extra sodium makes a massive difference.

Nutrition has been good, though a little bit of a mind fuck when I get on the scale this morning and seeing I was 223.  :S

Tonight is power leg day...so....much...legs. I am bound and determined to get my little stick legs to grow and provide a better foundation for powerlifting. I still have a hunger to get into the 500's for my squat.

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #1112 on: April 11, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
Really getting into the groove Merk!  :thumbsup:
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1113 on: April 12, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »
Last night was my power leg day.

Leg Press 3x5 525 lbs
 Leg Press 2x10 400 lbs
 Leg Extensions 2x6 +30 lbs 150 lbs
 Seated leg curl 3x5
 Lying leg curl 2x6 +20 lbs 120 lbs
 Standing Calf Raises 5x6 +30 lbs 330 lbs

Total time = 35-40 min

Quick, dirty, and done!.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1114 on: April 13, 2018, 07:25:14 AM »
Last nights training didn't happen. I got home, cleaned up some stuff, ate, and then went to bed. This week's sleep has been fucking garbage so I took the opportunity to get some damned sleep! So I popped a couple gravol and nighty night!

zZzZzZz

(Of course last night turned into a shit show regardless, but it was the sleep I had all week)

This means I lose Sunday as a day off, oh well....
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1115 on: April 14, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Last nights training went well, some hypertrophy back and shoulders.\

Sleep was utter shit last night, I was up a vast majority of it.....I cannot wait for Monday (going to the doc and see about a sleep study, blood work, etc.)

Today I decided to play fortnite, get some chores done, and try and get some last minute shopping done. I'm going to do a two for one training tomorrow, catching me up on all my workouts for the week and getting me back on proper schedule come Monday.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1116 on: April 15, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Training is in the books!

It has been freezing rain non stop since Friday night/Saturday morning (all last night as well). We are right off the lake so the winds have been strong and currently ice blankets everything, houses, trees, cars, roads, as I said...everything.

For southern Ontario this is some shitty weather, I've been getting a kick in watching all these city slicking, southern Ontarians, and new Canadians losing their fucking minds over the weather.

People here don't know how to drive worth fuck, in good weather or bad.

In any case, training is complete and this is the official end of week 5.

Overall I'm happy with the results so far, I'm now going to start making some small tweaks to my diet and see if we can make some positive physical changes.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1117 on: April 16, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Starting weight for week 5 is 221.5 lbs @ 23.5% BF

This is pretty much like last weeks weigh in, as I mentioned I'm going to start making some adjustments.
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1118 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
Doing great buddy! Haha ya we got damn near a foot of snow lastnight but it slowed nobody, u know the drill up here 8)
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1119 on: April 16, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
Doing great buddy! Haha ya we got damn near a foot of snow lastnight but it slowed nobody, u know the drill up here 8)

So you guys got some of this too, eh? ouch! Though at least you have snow, rather that than the freezing rain.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1120 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »
Training today was...NOPE!

Normally I don't get too too personal on here, but this is note worthy and something I'm rather proud of.

Today is one of those super awesome-o days where you realize everything you fucking own is paid, credit cards are fully paid, money in the bank, and overall in good health.

BOOM!

Today I went to see my GP and ordered up a sleep study (which is happening this Saturday at 9pm) and some general blood work. Just making sure everything is ok.

Though I was hoping to do my thyroid and test at the same time, but things didn't quite go the way I had hoped. Instead I'm looking at getting it done privately, which seems doable.

If any of you Canadian boys (and or women) have ever dealt with private labs for testing please chime in. It seems to be not as easy as I would have anticipated.

Mrs.M and I went out for a nice dinner in celebration of all things being awesome in our lives. These past couple of months have really went our way. 2018 seems to be going pretty fucking good!

In the words of Ice Cube

"Today was a good day"
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1121 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »
Training last night went a lot better than I anticipated.

Seated Rows 3x5 -entire stack, proper squeeze and slow on the negative.
 Pull ups 2x6 -Getting easier
 Chin ups 6,7 -Starting to get in more reps
 Bench press 3x4 -235 lbs
 Dips 2x10
 Military Press 3x6 -145 lbs
 Preacher Curls 3x6 -120 lbs
 Tricep Press down 3x10 -Entire stack, proper squeeze.

I went in thinking it was going to be a shit workout and I wasn't really feeling it before getting in. Well it turned around and I walked away with one of my better gym sessions.

Now as much as I have been doing bench I really haven't pushed it much, like at all (145). I've had some shoulder pain that has kept me REALLY cautious especially when doing bench so I just kept things light for the most part. Well last night I was feeling good, so I thought I would add a little weight.

Bar, flew up no problem....to be expected.
 145, felt like the bar
 185, felt like it should have been 145.
 235, this was a good working weight. I could have done more but I kept to the plan and stayed in the 3-5 rep range.

Beyond that everything is getting easier, adding weight, more reps, less pain (for the most part, ha ha!)

Of course this morning my right rear delt has been sore as all hell, but that is from how I slept and that I know for sure.

In any case, have a great day

This is far from heavy for me, but the heaviest I have gone since I started training again.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1122 on: April 19, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
Last nights training got moved to today.

Grocery shopping needed to be had. So that's exactly what we did, plus grabbed a bite to eat while we were out.

Weight this morning is 226.

I hope that is an indication I just really need to poop!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1123 on: April 20, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »
Training last night went pretty well.

Well I figured last night I would continue the trend of pushing things a little harder and went after some good 'ole squats. It's nothing too special in all reality, kinda dabbling my toes in the kiddie pool of heavy. I got myself up to a 315 for 3 (no belt, no sleeves, no wraps, just good old raw). I was really happy with the turn out!

The only issue I came to discover was my lower back. Upper back and legs were very ok with what was going on and could handle more, but I could feel the stress on my lower....so I'm going to start working on lower back a bit more.

For 6 weeks back in, a 315 squat is ok in my books.

Weight is at 222 this morning, noticed this morning that I'm getting a dent in between my top two abs...or at least where my abs are supposed to be.

Progress motherfuckers, progress.

TSIF!!!!! (Thank Satan It's Friday!)
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1124 on: April 20, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Beauty 315 buddy! Not bad at all for dipping into the kiddie pool!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \