Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 74685 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #1065 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
Alright!
Nothing wrong with easing back into it. Goodness knows we ain't spring chickens anymore.
Being a desk jockey myself means that I know it's critical to get in some type of lifting or cardio, otherwise I blimp up like the Michelin man.

No shit, eh?! Good example of not being a spring chicken, last night my elbows felt AWESOME while I was training...today, not so much. FML. Like we are talking fucking throbbing all day. Ufffff!

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1066 on: March 13, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
So another training session in the books.

Tonight was lower body and all went well.

There was some leg press, calf raises, leg curls, leg extensions, and a few other things along the way. Again I kept it light, hopefully my knees don't shit the bed tomorrow.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1067 on: March 14, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
 So today is a day off from the gym and then I train Thurs, Fri, Sat.

The way things are working is Monday and Tues are an Upper/Lower split that focuses on power. The latter part of the week is then devoted to hypertrophy. I'm really digging the design and hopefully something I will continue to enjoy as time passes.

As I mentioned this is very similar to how I used to train for bodybuilding...I found this kind of amusing since I did all my own programming back then and had literally no fucking idea what the hell I was doing. I was fumbling around in the dark like many since this kind of information wasn't as readily available back then. I happened to have fumbled upon it by sheer fluke.

From a nutritional stand point. Things are in a good place, I just need to stay consistent. This has been my biggest failure, but I'm confident I will stay strong all the way through. (although it's been a challenge, my IBS and acid re-flux don't seem to be liking these changes.)

2500 cal
 210 pro
 253 carb
 72 fat

I'm looking at 30-32 weeks to get to where I want to be, or thereabouts. Of course I have compensated for most variables that could come about.

We'll see how it goes as time goes by.

FYI - Legs are killing me today.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1068 on: March 17, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
Thursday was the start of my hypertrophy block for the week. Man, Thursday was back and shoulders....so...much....back...work, whew!

Yesterday was Legs...

Squats | 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Hypertrophy pressing movement
Hack squats | 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy pressing movement:
Leg presses | 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy extension movement:
Leg extensions | 3 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy pulling movement:
Romanian deadlifts | 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy curling movement:
Lying leg curls | 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy curling movement:
Seated leg curls | 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy calf movement: Donkey calf raises
4 sets of 10-15 reps
Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises
3 sets of 15-20 reps

Yep, I was doing the jelly legged, drunk walk home afterward....just without the drunk. Today I'm still able to walk...though tomorrow is going to be a different story I'm sure.

Today is a nice "bro" day.
Pressing Power Exercise Volume work
Flat dumbbell presses | 4 sets of 8-10 reps with 85% of normal 3-5 rep max
Incline dumbbell presses | 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hammer strength chest press | 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy  y movement:
Incline cable  yes | 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy curling exercise:
Cambered bar preacher curls | 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Dumbbell concentration curls | 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench | 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy extension exercise:
Seated tricep extension with cambered bar | 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Cable pressdowns with rope attachment | 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Cable kickbacks | 2 sets of 15-20 reps

I would been there by now but I decided to get some cooking done (currently I have 2 crockpots on the go) and clean up the house. That way once I am done beating the shit out of myself I can then settle into the tub and then have myself a nice relaxing evening!.

In any case today wraps up my training week.

It's nice to be back.
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #1069 on: March 17, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
^^^ it does feel good to get back into the swing of lifting after a layoff. That sweet siren song of the Iron brings us back and doesn't disappoint.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1070 on: March 18, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
Today is a day off, officially marking a completed week 1.

I'm really proud of this, though a small feat in the grand scheme of life. This could be the turning point to success, which I hope is the case.

Or it could be another face down in the dirt moments....regardless of either I have again picked myself up out of the dirt and started moving forward again.

I'm no longer staying stagnant.

Major cleaning was done yesterday, today has been nothing but a lazy bum kinda day. Laundry is being worked on, light grocery shop done, drive out to Burlington for a coffee with Mrs.M which was nice, cooking for the week about to be had, and of course the never ending supply of dishes I have been slightly avoiding with some video games.....

I suppose I should get on top of those soon.

In any case, hope you are all having a great weekend!

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1071 on: March 19, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
Happy Monday!

Today is my Upper Body Power Day

Bent over rows 3x5
 Weighted Pull ups 2x10
 Rack Chins 2x10
 Flat D-bell Press 3x5
 Weighted Dips 2x10
 Seated D-bell Shoulder Press 3x10
 Cambered Bar Curls 3x10
 Skull Crushers 3x10

Since my elbows are all kinds of fuckered I go really light for arms and really focus on the squeeze. Cambered seems to give me the least amount of issues next to hammers.

Food is still doing well, infact my biggest issue has been trying to fit it all in. I know that sounds strange since it's only 2500 cals but everything is coming from chicken, potatoes, SKYR yogurt, broccoli, oatmeal, raspberries, and that's roughly about it. Nice, simple and affordable.

Do throw in a few other things for change but those are the staples.

Also last week I went from 220-215, clearly not all fat but it's showing me I'm heading in the right direction.

In any case, week 2 has begun.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1072 on: March 19, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
 Tonights workout is done and in the books so to speak.

Today everything felt much easier compared to last Monday, not only that but I was able to go a little heavier.

I was really happy to do the arm curls today and no pain, of course we are still in the initial stages of training and this could drastically change as time goes by. I hope with the position change that perhaps this elbow nonsense might subside as I'm sure most of it was from the job itself.

We shall see in time.

– Socrates

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #1073 on: March 19, 2018, 08:53:40 PM »
I hope with the position change that perhaps this elbow nonsense might subside as I'm sure most of it was from the job itself.

We shall see in time.

I dunno, you're doing several things that I avoid due to elbow issues. Not doing a ton of sets of them though so hopefully you can continue to get away with it.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1074 on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:54 AM »
I hope with the position change that perhaps this elbow nonsense might subside as I'm sure most of it was from the job itself.

We shall see in time.

I dunno, you're doing several things that I avoid due to elbow issues. Not doing a ton of sets of them though so hopefully you can continue to get away with it.

Normally all direct arm work (minus hammer curls) and pull ups/chin ups mean instant death for my elbows. But by changing jobs and keeping arm work light I really hope I can avoid issues down the road.....the likelihood if staying pain free is nil I am sure but I'll ride it out as long as I can.

What have you done for pain management and or things you personally need to avoid to keep your elbows in good health? (besides beer/advil/and avoiding arm work altogether)

– Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1075 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:14 AM »
Week 1 in the books, solid work! I rarely do arms anymore but I did switch to very low weight high rep training a few years ago and seemed to be the way to go.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1076 on: March 21, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »
Week 1 in the books, solid work! I rarely do arms anymore but I did switch to very low weight high rep training a few years ago and seemed to be the way to go.

I'm going to attempt said approach and hope it gives me the least amount of grief :)
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1077 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
Yesterdays power leg day went really well!

I've been able to add a solid 50-100% more weight on most exercises which is really nice, though I'll begin to slow down on such big jumps and be a little more conservative.

Best I try and avoid injury, right? IT IS NOT A RACE....or so I'm told  8)

In any case...

I would write in what I did, but I don't have my book with me at the moment.

Diet is going well, although I've jumped up 5 lbs. This doesn't surprise me as I've upped my sodium intake. It'll take some time for my body to regulate.

DOMS are already beginning to halve themselves.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1078 on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
Yesterdays day off was nice, Mrs. M stole the car for the day and picked me up from work. We got a bunch of running around done, laundry, and then cooking.

Now for the past couple of weeks I've been smashing chicken and potatoes down my gullet and...well...I got a little tired of it. So I grabbed some steak and man, what a nice fuckin' change.

So this morning I made up more steak and potatoes, I just dropped off in the chicken and some eggs today, not a big deal.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have actually grilled steak at 5-6 am before, there is my new experience for the day.

Today is hypertrophy day for back/shoulders, yay!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1079 on: March 22, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »

Bent over | 4x8

Rack chins | 3x8

Seated cable row | 3x8

Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench | 2x15

Close grip pulldowns | 2x15

Seated dumbbell presses | 3x8

Upright rows | 2x12

Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables | 3x12
 – Socrates