Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 68233 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #990 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »
Monday Benchems

6 min rowing
10 min stretches
Barx20
95x20
135x10
165x20
165x20
165x20

Tricep kickback (50lbs) super'd with Burpees

20/20
20/20
20/20
20/20
20/20
20/20

FML

Tuesday 5 am rowing 30 min

Wednesday Deads

6 min rowing
10 min stretches
Barx10
135x5
135x5
135x10
135x20
135x20
135x20
135x20

Bent over barbell row

95x12
95x12
95x12

Pull ups

BWx10
BWx10
BWx10

I completely shit the fuckin' bed on this workout.....unacceptable.

Thursdays 5 am rowing 30 min
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #991 on: July 13, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
I'd be drenched with sweat, gasping like a beached whale and laying on the floor for an hour after attempting those high rep/short rest sessions you have  :o
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #992 on: July 13, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
I'm with Eric, 20 reppers allover this place! :o Hardworking man!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #993 on: July 15, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »
Thanks guys, I will admit it hasn't been easy. But it has been getting easier. :)

In the beginning I was dead out of water within the first 5 min, no kidding 5 fuckin' minutes and I was done. But as time has passed I've adapted and continue to adapt.

Today is squats....and lots of them. 3 sets of 20's and then 200 BW squats. Should be fun!  :o
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #994 on: July 15, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
A change in plans....

So today's squat session took an on the fly overhaul. Instead of doing my 20's I ended up working towards a single triple set, what a nice and pleasant change of pace!

Session as follows:

3 min rowing, pace of 2:30/500m (I really should have done closer to 6-7 min)
 3-4 min of stretches (this was rushed as well, normally I spend upwards of 10 min....I now remember why, yeesh!)
 95x10
 185x5
 185x5
 185x5
 235x5
 285x5
 335x3 (I could have done more, and I should have...fuck)

BW squats (200)
 20 ----- These took about 12 min to do, whew!

30 min on the rower, 2:37 avg/500m 5748m done. This is by far the best I have ever done! I was rather happy with these numbers, they aren't amazeballs or anything but for me this was an achievement. Also, I had a garbage bag on under my hoodie while doing this and also doing the entire workout.

Why?

Because I could, that's why.

Weight as of yesterday was 199.4 lbs.
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #995 on: July 15, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
Awesome session man! Triples must have been great after all the 20's you have been doing. Grats on the rower and all the BW squat madness! 199, hellz to the ya :rocker:
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #996 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
Awesome session man! Triples must have been great after all the 20's you have been doing. Grats on the rower and all the BW squat madness! 199, hellz to the ya :rocker:

Yeah it was a nice change of pace, well needed to be frank. Doing 20's all the time can be a little tiresome  ::)
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #997 on: July 17, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
Monday Benchday!

Today's bench day was more of a strange bench/metcon day, yeah....

:o

Bench (165lbs) x 20
 Burpees x 20
 Stationary fan bike o' doom 1 min HIT

4 Rounds

Followed by 100 pushups.

Total time was 1 hr.

– Socrates

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #998 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:19 PM »
Crazy stuff happening in here!
I used to wrestle but wasn't one of the guys trying to hit the lower weight class. They did stuff like garbage bags. Was something I'm glad I never had to do  :o

The bench and bike I could do...burpee's...not so much  :P
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #999 on: July 18, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »
Crazy stuff happening in here!
I used to wrestle but wasn't one of the guys trying to hit the lower weight class. They did stuff like garbage bags. Was something I'm glad I never had to do  :o

The bench and bike I could do...burpee's...not so much  :P

Doing the garbage bag nonsense isn't so bad, I just hate the sound it makes when moving around *swish, swish*

I remember doing burpees in high school for gym, football, hockey....I hated them then and I hate them now. But I get 'em done.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1000 on: July 19, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »
Tuesday 5 am cardio = FAIL! I forgot to set my alarm and woke up to my coach texting me wondering where I was. Oops! So I went for a 1 hr 40 min medium intensity walk last night (7:20 pm-9:00 pm). I managed close to 9 km in that time. The consequence to this evenings cardio is I tore my heels open pretty bad. It felt like I just had a couple blisters until I took my shoes off at home. My shoes and socks had blood all over the heels, not just a little either. I tore them up pretty damned good. I'll make sure to not use ankle socks again when wearing these shoes....

This morning having to put shoes on didn't feel so shit hot.

Wednesday 5 am cardio = success! I got in, did my rowing, and got the fuck out. I have to go back tonight for deadlifts, fuck! There was mention of it being a strange deadlift/metcon thing.  :o

The things I do sometimes  ::)
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1001 on: July 20, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »
Wednesday cont. ...Deadriffs (pm workout)

5 min rowing
6 min stretching
135x6
225x5
315x3
375x3
405x2 (bombed on the 3rd)
405xFAIL
405xFAIL
405xFAIL

-FIN-

I was given the option of heavy 3's or 20's....well we all know what I chose. Things started out rough, feeling tired, sore, etc. But as time went on I started to feel better and was rather happy with the 375x3, hell I don't think I have ever done that before (maybe I have but it wasn't any time recent....not too sure though). I went for 405x3 which is a guaranteed PR...aaaannnnd I failed out. I fuckin' ran outta gas and there was just no damned way I could conjure up anything more to get that 3rd one done.

Really pissed me off. I was already in a shitty mood to begin with, this made it a whole lot worse ( I haven't had a decent nights rest in weeks, I've been averaging 3 hrs a night kinda thing. I'm kinda cranky)

Moving on.

This morning's 5 am rowing was a success. I punched out 40 min at an average of 2:30/500m which I'm happy with. The first half was spent warming up and getting into the groove. The back half was were the magic was happening. I was averaging 2:20/500m and with a solid rhythm. There was a couple times I pushed it to 1:50 to try and make up for the first half . All in all, I'm happy with this mornings training.

There will be no training tonight or tomorrow night as per usual. Though I will be in the gym tomorrow morning  for rowing and then squats on Saturday.

– Socrates

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #1002 on: July 20, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »
Lack of sleep will kill a lifting session so I wouldn't worry about it too much Ronn.
Your conditioning is making leaps and bounds. 40 mins on a rower is no joke.

Enjoy the rest days and I hope you get better sleep!
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1003 on: July 21, 2017, 06:30:18 AM »
Friday rowing.

So things didn't go as planned. Chris (my coach) had to move some things around and instead of going in for 5 am for my rowing it turned into 5:45 am. Now I had considered telling him that wouldn't work since I have to be back here for 6:00 am to 6:15 at the latest. But I figured something is better than nothing and that I better make my time count since I have little of it. I got in there and gave it my all. Right out the gate I was pushing a pace of 2:08/500m. I wasn't able to hold it all the way through but I tried to keep myself between 2:10-2:20 after that. I walked away with over 3000m done in just 15:00 min. If I could have held that momentum I would have been shooting for 6000-6200m for 30 min. That would have then been a PR since my best is 5700m in 30 min.

Anyways tomorrow is squatems.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1004 on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:49 AM »
Saturday Squats

5 min rowing @ 2:20
 6-7 min stretching
 Bar x 10
 135x5
 185x12
 205x12
 225x12

-Fin-

Nothing fancy.

ION

Spent most of my day at the mall, yeesh. What started out as a quick trip to the mall to look at possibly a new ipotato and bra's for Mrs.M turned into....a real tomfuckery.

With Sears tanking like a motherfucker they are liquidating everything. Well the only way to get into the mall is to go through Sears due to renovations led us into what seemed to be an outlet mall in Buffalo, NY!!!! There were new Canadians EVERYWHERE ripping through everything with reckless abandonment. I felt embarrassed to be there to be honest. So much so my anxiousness was going through the roof.....why was I in there then? Mrs. M found a few things that she could use at the salon. $200 give or take

As time went on I managed to find myself a nice pair of sandals (which I have to return since it had two right sandals in the box), a pair of dress pants, and dress shoes. All of which are expensive as fuck...and I got it for next to nothing. $160

Now into the remainder of the mall....

Sushi stop, I was getting cranky. I hadn't eaten all day (It was 2pm at this point). $40 later

Fido kiosk, new ipotato 6 plus for Mrs. M. $550

Bath and bodyworks fly by for some candles and other awesome smelly stuff. $90

Screen replacement on my ipotato 5. $90

Went to the Source for a case for Mrs. M's new phone. $40 (These guys were assholes, they really tried to lay the pressure on us to go back to Fido to return the phone so they could sell us a new phone and contract through Virgin and save us $200. Really pushy youngins. Mrs. M and I held our ground, bought the case, and left. We both vowed to never go to that Source ever again.)

By the time we walked out of there it was close to 6pm.

Then back to the salon (second trip that day there).

Then finally back home which was around 7-8 pm.....fuckin' long day I'll tell ya, and expensive too!  :o

Well off to the gym,

Ciao

– Socrates