Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 75070 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #810 on: January 08, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »
Hoping everything is okay with you and Mrs M.  Happy New Year to you both!

Thanks Lisa, sorry for the late reply. I've tried a few times to reply....but was forced to abandon the replies for one reason or another.

In any case, belated Merry Christmas/Happy New Year to both you and Flex.  :)
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #811 on: January 08, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
Ok, so let's give this another go shall we?

I haven't trained at all since early November (I believe the 5th if memory serves me correctly). You all know why (and for those that don't please go through the last few pages of my journal) and man has it sucked to not do a damned thing.

Well I managed to make it to my new gym a couple times this week. Very quiet place, virtually empty....I love it.  ;D

What I didn't love however was how I was crippled as fuck after doing squats with 135 for 2 sets of 5.....sweet baby satan was that brutal!! Like we're talking death grip on the sink and tub to sit on the toilet bad. It makes me either never want to squat again or never stop squatting.

I much prefer the latter of the two options. Not realistic of course but it's a nice wishful thought  ;D

My legs managed to clear up by yesterday so I made another go of the gym and much to my surprise I added 50 lbs to my squat for 2 sets of 5 with no pain whatsoever. I'm happy to report that sitting on the throne this morning was nothing different than any other day. Hurray!

To into further detail, I did bench both those days as well as lat pulldowns. Bench consisted of 135x5x2 on the first day, and like squats I managed a 50 lbs increase to 185x5, 185x7. Unlike squats I had zero DOMS from either time I benched. As far as the lat pulldowns...100x5x2 for the first session and 150x5x2 on my second session. No different than bench, zero DOMS both training sessions.

I predict it'll take me the better part of 60-90 days before I get into anything heavy. This time gives me the opportunity to work on technique. I feel somewhere along the way my form has taken a dump and it needs sharpening. My main focus is squatting. I haven't really squatted since....the summer roughly, and even that wasn't consistent. Consistent squatting hasn't been done since I left World Gym, no shit. My knees and hips just couldn't take it anymore and I needed some time off. Of course during this time off when I should have been rehabbing I did fuck all and prolonged my ability to get back into squatting.

I can be a smart fella at times, derp!

*sigh*

So what is the focus for 2017?

simple....

500/350/550. 1400 total.

I may be overreaching slightly with trying to add +45 lbs to my bench this year, but I'm up for the challenge.

Last year I managed to hit 2 out of the 3 goals I had set out for myself. I broke the 300 (+5 lbs PR) mark on bench, as well as hitting 500 (+25 lbs PR) on my deadlifts. Not exactly major accomplishments, considering I hit 300 on bench in competition as well as 475'd on my dead that same day...which was in 2015.

Epic fail was on (you guessed it) squats.

But that's ok, this year proves to be a better year, a more focused year.   

Also I want to work on my health, it's with no real surprise that like most I have a few ailments to contend with. I've suffered from IBS for 24 years. I have never dealt with it properly and trust me I have paid for it many times, too many times. So I'm taking responsibility and trying to better this. Currently I've broken down my nutritional needs to it's basics. I guess you could say I'm eating a more bro style diet. Rice, Chicken, broccoli, and a few other items. I'm keeping it simple and seeing how my body responds. As of the past couple of weeks of eating like this I've had no attacks or any issues whatsoever.

Mobility work is something I'm concentrating on, pretty self explanatory.

I'm going to get my hernia fixed (yes I know, I know...I should had this fixed a long time ago but I was lazy and refused to get my shit together to get it fixed.)

Also I'm going in for an MRI and seeing a neurologist to deal with my migraines (started two years ago, and has gone downhill since then). Hopefully we can find a reason and perhaps a non-medication solution. I want to see if there is also a correlation between my migraines and the dizziness/blackout issues I was having while squatting/deadlifting heavy....or it could have something to do with my blood pressure. After the "cuff incident" (go back a few pages, you'll find out what I'm talking about if you don't know) I've been having more borderline readings. I'm not exactly enthralled with the idea that I may have high blood pressure, though it's something that most of my family has (on both sides no less) and being on medication for the rest of my life. But it is what it is, right?

So I'm nipping shit in the butt and trying to overall improve is what I'm trying to get at with all this.

Seriously, this turned out to be a lot longer of a post than I had originally anticipated.

Let's wrap this up, as I'm sure you're all bored to tears at this point...and really I wouldn't blame you.  :P

Have yourselves a great Sunday.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #812 on: January 08, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
Sounds like some great goals and health improvements! Giddyup!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #813 on: January 08, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
Good read Ronn and good luck on reaching your goals.
Keep at it!
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
Welcome back.

I think when this polar vortex eases up we need to have another driveway deadlift session.  :yes:

Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Merkley

« Reply #815 on: January 15, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
Welcome back.

I think when this polar vortex eases up we need to have another driveway deadlift session.  :yes:

That good sir sounds like a splendid idea!!!!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #816 on: January 15, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
This past couple of weeks I've made improvements in the gym that I'm quite pleased with.

Squat started at an embarrassing 135x5x2 to 245x5x2. It's still a far reach from where I've been but right now I'm taking this as a major win since this is being done completely pain free (knees/hips) and without the need of knee sleeves.

Things had gotten to the point where I couldn't squat without the need for knee sleeves. If I attempted even a simple 135 without the sleeves I was in serious pain. Even so, I usually was left with sore knees and hips after squatting even with the sleeves....so the fact I'm doing these without any kind of pain whatsoever is a major win indeed.

Bench is on the move, not that I've ever had any real issues here. Currently at 225x5x2, nothing special but steadily making improvements.

Deads...zero. This coming week I will be bringing those back into my routine and seeing how everything goes. Though I've been doing a lot of lat pulldown, why I'm not too sure. I'm sure they are doing something, lol.

– Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #817 on: January 15, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
Great to hear things are coming back for you and pain free! I spent a ton of my squat "career" trying
to work through knee pain and and jacked up piriformis. Just terrible on the brain!
Keep plugging along, you will be back to your monster lifts in no time!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #818 on: January 29, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
Morning all, Happy Sunday.

Been up since 3 am. My sleep has been grossly on the fritz lately, seriously bad. But this isn't anything new, 12 years and counting. Currently watching as the sky is beginning to lighten and a new day is to start.

Training has been moving along, though things continue to need improvement (trained on Monday and then on Friday and potentially today).

Monday I tried out OHP for the first time in months, not too bad I suppose. 140 for 10 as my AMRAP set. I'm struggling to keep my ego in check I must admit. I keep wanting to pile on the weight and give it hell....I hate having to have patience, lol.

Dead and Bench I did both in the same day. I managed 205x12 for bench and a measly 330x7 for deads. As pissy as I was about this day I remembered there was a time when deadlifting 350x1 with a belt and straps was the hardest and heaviest lift I had ever done. So to come back after months of not training deads at all and punch out 330x7 on a stiff bar, I'll take it.

Today will be squats, maybe.

I woke up and my right shoulder is all kinds of fuckered. I don't know if I slept on it wrong or whatever but the entire right trap, rhomboid, intra/supraspinatus, and posterior delt hurt like fucking hell. Any lateral movement, and I mean any almost sends me up the wall...even to engage the shoulder causes wicked pain. Hopefully I just slept wrong and pinched something.

Setting myself up for a squat feels pain free, so I may go and try things out. I'd hate to miss a leg day, I kinda need them...alot of them in fact.

Weight is sitting at 215 on the average and as per usual. I've cut back my calories to 2386 from 2697 to see if I can shake some of this weight. Fuck I'm terrible at losing fat, I can gain muscle quite easily...but losing fat?! PFFFT! No fuckin' way in hell can I seem to have any real success. But I keep trying.

Mrs. M is showing signs of progress in some areas which is good. Though there is a lot of uncertainty in others.

Which reminds me...

I had received a phone call on Friday confirming an MRI apt with Death Valley Hospital (those in the GTA know where I'm talking about). for 2 yesterday and to please be there for 1:15. I had to admit I was shocked since I didn't realize my doctor had booked the apt. Luckily we were able to move things around and make it happen. So yesterday shows up and we get there, park, blah, blah, and get to the apt on time....or so I thought.

Long story short..the damned apt was for 2 AM!!!! and I had to be there for 1:15 AM!!!! THEY DIDN'T SAY THAT IN THE FUCKING MESSAGE THEY LEFT!!!!! (I have the messaged saved on my phone as proof by the way) One would like to think that an MRI apt would be booked for the DAY!!! and not in the middle of the fucking night. So now I have to have it re-booked and Satan only knows when that will be. Hopefully I will be told about the apt well in advance and if it's AM or PM.

In any case, my fur baby is up and moving. Pee time!

Have a good one days everybody
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
Happy Monday!

Hopefully all of you survived the day that sucks the soul right out of you, better known as Monday.

So training has been put on hold for the remainder of the week, my shoulder isn't in good shape at all. I still have no damned idea what I did to you but it's pretty frigged. So I'll give it the week and see how everything pans out.

I figured I would pop in and share this little ditty of information. That and I'm drinking one hell of an awesome Pina Colada tea.

Carry on my wayward son....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:03:39 PM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »
I'm drinking one hell of an awesome Pina Colata tea.

:thatsgay:
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
Happy Monday!

Hopefully all of you survived the day that sucks the soul right out of you, better known as Monday.

So training has been put on hold for the remainder of the week, my shoulder isn't in good shape at all. I still have no damned idea what I did to you but it's pretty frigged. So I'll give it the week and see how everything pans out.

I figured I would pop in and share this little ditty of information. That and I'm drinking one hell of an awesome Pina Colata tea.

You're a shark don't forget...

Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #822 on: February 02, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
I'm drinking one hell of an awesome Pina Colata tea.

:thatsgay:

Hey it tastes good, so shhhh!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #823 on: February 02, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Happy Monday!

I figured I would pop in and share this little ditty of information. That and I'm drinking one hell of an awesome Pina Colata tea.

You're a shark don't forget...

You're right, I am a fucking shark! I forgot, thanks for the reminder  :P
 – Socrates

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
« Reply #824 on: February 02, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Sharks don't have beards.  Maybe you're a Yeti.  :D
Powerlifting Meet Bests: