Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 73550 times)

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #780 on: October 01, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »
I feel lost, broken, aged, and mortal.

Sorta feeling a bit like that myself.

Maybe we need a driveway deadlift session???
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #781 on: October 01, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »
Ronn, sorry to hear about the shit life is throwing at you. Hope things turn around soon, and I hope the Mrs. gets better soon.

I took 6 weeks off back in 2014 for a lower back injury and it took everything I had to get my ass back in the gym. You're time is coming brother.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
« Reply #782 on: October 07, 2016, 04:43:31 PM »
Hey Everyone,

So Mrs.M's issues continue....we've exhausted many options, and finances trying to get her back to good health...however we are still at a real stand still with whats going on.

Work things have been on the up this past week. The work has been coming in so at least I'm making hours, whew. Though I have a feeling next week will drop off again.

I cannot wait for the snow to start dropping, bring on the plowing. I could use the money right about now. Right now I have the salter in the shop being rebuilt since the doorknobs that were  to get it summer prepped (washed and oiled) didn't and everything rusted itself fuckin' solid. Plus I need to order a new spring for one of my blades (plow blade)

(I do snow plow during the winter if you couldn't tell, and it pays a fuck load more than what I make with my main job)

Weight is holding at 215....

Training is back into full-ish swing. I squatted for the first time in....satan only knows how long and managed 345, meh! I'll take it. The goal this winter is to start getting more familiar with wraps and see if I crest over 500. Bench is sitting around 285-300 still so no complaints there, OHP is 205, and I'm doing deads tonight so we'll see how that goes.

I haven't done deads since my tear....little nervous.

I'm not following any official program at the moment. Kinda winging it at the moment and enjoying it. I'm just keeping to the heavy day/ light day idea. Meaning I train everything twice a week, one day strength, one day hypertrophy. Arms are being trained closer to 3/4 times a week (yeah I'm actually training arms) and going from there.

I'm considering writing something out for myself if I find this idea to work.

I've gotten the idea from earlier training programs and recent reads from RPStrength.

Trying to eat around 3100 cals a days, bit of a deficit but I'm still on the "losing weight" wagon.....and fuck I'm terrible at it, lol.

To all my Canajuns, Happy Thanksgiving Weekend.

Cheers

~R

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #783 on: October 08, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
Good thoughts to the Mrs and hope everything resolves!

Some might cuss me out but here's hoping an extremely snowy winter for you Ronn!
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #784 on: October 08, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
Geez, Ronn, that's rough.  If there's anything we can do, just call.

Farmer's Almanac says we are in for a cold wet snowy winter, so get your coffee thermos ready!  I think you'll be busy this year!

Happy Thanksgiving.  My oven is broken, so it's a crockpot Thanksgiving here.  That sounds like a Peanuts TV special, "It's a Crockpot Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown" lol...

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Merkley

« Reply #785 on: October 08, 2016, 05:24:30 PM »
Good thoughts to the Mrs and hope everything resolves!

Some might cuss me out but here's hoping an extremely snowy winter for you Ronn!

Thanks! I have a feeling resolution will take a year or more, non surgical options at least. Surgery could...take potentially a lot longer to fix, were in between a rock and a hard place. Though I feel there is a lot of positive that is coming from this (I'd try and explain but I'd be here awhile).

I'm sure I'll be cussing somewhere along the way this winter if it happens to be bad, though I'll be cussing a lot more if it isn't bad.

Geez, Ronn, that's rough.  If there's anything we can do, just call.

Farmer's Almanac says we are in for a cold wet snowy winter, so get your coffee thermos ready!  I think you'll be busy this year!

Happy Thanksgiving.  My oven is broken, so it's a crockpot Thanksgiving here.  That sounds like a Peanuts TV special, "It's a Crockpot Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown" lol...

Thanks so much Lisa!!! That means so much :) I suppose I should give you guys a call and see about getting together, it's been way too long.

A broken oven on Thanksgiving?!  :o That's a bummer, though some epic things can be made with the crockpot!....and BBQ  8)

Mrs.M and I aren't too sure just what were doing this year for Thanksgiving....personally I just couldn't give a damn. I think a pre-made, throw into the oven, thing from whole foods might do the trick....that and getting drunk.

I hope the farmers almanac is right.....and suddenly I want to go watch some Peanuts Holiday specials, that or Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

That gives me another idea!

We can go to Denny's for Thanksgiving!!! YAY!

:S

No....Mrs. M would have my hide for the idea.

Anyways! Have fun this weekend :) May it be filled with awesome food, good company, awesome tv, and of course an endless supply of beer
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #786 on: October 08, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
 I failed to mention....I deadlifted 418 yesterday, I was going to shoot for 440-450 but decided to not press my luck.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #787 on: October 11, 2016, 11:13:17 PM »
Bench day

Worked up to 265 for a few singles and then I dropped down to 225 for 3 sets of 5. After that I worked on back hypertrophy stuff....and arms, cannot forget arms.

Nothing too new to report.
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #788 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
Nice to see you posting again man. Sounds like you are having a rough go with the special lady. Wishing you all the best. My wifey has been through hell and back with her health as well and it's very hard and frustrating.
Happy belated Thanksgiving and great job on the work you have been getting in at the gym. Might snow in the Bay today...
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #789 on: October 12, 2016, 07:33:55 PM »
Nice to see you posting again man. Sounds like you are having a rough go with the special lady. Wishing you all the best. My wifey has been through hell and back with her health as well and it's very hard and frustrating.
Happy belated Thanksgiving and great job on the work you have been getting in at the gym. Might snow in the Bay today...

Thanks Shawn! yeah it's been trying to say the least. But things are moving forward, in small increments, but moving in the right direction regardless. So there is hope.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to you as well :)) Hope you and yours had a great weekend.

It's kinda hard to not be "powerlifting" at the moment. But at the same time liberating being free to do whatever the fuck I want as I see fit....knowing me it'll pass soon and I'll wrap myself into a program.

My Dad was saying he got snow in Ignace last weekend, a couple of inches but it fucked off shortly thereafter. I have a cop buddy that is working on a reserve up north and he sent some pics....holy snow! In the meantime, we hear in the south had a nice 22 degrees and sun!  8) 8) 8)

– Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #790 on: October 12, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »

Thanks Shawn! yeah it's been trying to say the least. But things are moving forward, in small increments, but moving in the right direction regardless. So there is hope.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to you as well :)) Hope you and yours had a great weekend.

It's kinda hard to not be "powerlifting" at the moment. But at the same time liberating being free to do whatever the fuck I want as I see fit....knowing me it'll pass soon and I'll wrap myself into a program.

My Dad was saying he got snow in Ignace last weekend, a couple of inches but it fucked off shortly thereafter. I have a cop buddy that is working on a reserve up north and he sent some pics....holy snow! In the meantime, we hear in the south had a nice 22 degrees and sun!  8) 8) 8)

Keep the chin and good attitude up Merk  :) One day you'll look back and realized it made you stronger mentally even though it's draining right now.

In all honesty, just hitting the iron however you want is good therapy. You don't have to be on a program to lift and reap the benefits.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #791 on: October 12, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
Ya saw that snow in Ignace...mirin that southern 22 degrees!
Nothing wrong with winging the training right now..fact is you are training. Keep getting it dun!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #792 on: October 15, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
 It's been a rough few days and didn't get training in. I wanted to go today and get some squats in at the very least but Mrs. M has 3 apts today which makes getting into the gym before the 1pm closing time difficult. However, I'll see if I can get in and get some work done.

I may go tomorrow if I can convince one of the coaches to come train with me (they are closed on Sundays). Then I can at least get some heavy back work in.

By the way, this "liberating" feeling I've had being free to train however I want has seriously worn off. Time to find something to jump into.
 – Socrates

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #793 on: October 15, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
Hope things improve soon - hugs to the gorgeous Mrs M! 

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Merkley

« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »
Thanks Lisa :)))
 – Socrates