Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 65541 times)

Online Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #690 on: April 14, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Very sorry to hear this Merkley,  it's never easy letting go of a beloved pet.  Enjoy your day with her.
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline XavierNusum

• Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 261
« Reply #691 on: April 15, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
That's a difficult thing to endure. My condolences.
",,,in the long run, motivation is just a notch above useless. take the emotion out of it and be disciplined."
-cwolfman13 (MFP member)

"It's still yo MF'n set" - CTFletcher

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
« Reply #692 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Maya (greybaby) was such an amazing little girl. Words truly cannot express just how amazing she was. I can confidently say she truly taught me unconditional love. There were many days where I would find myself missing her throughout the day and wishing I could get out of work just to go home and be with her. The greatest highlight of my day was coming home and walking through the front door....the excitement she would display melted my heart.

As I write this I find myself pausing and reflecting on life with Maya and feeling varying emotions so intensely....

I have loved all of our greybabies (she was the 3rd we've had to say goodbye to), but with Maya it was much different. I cannot explain it, there was just this amazing connection. It was something that developed immediately, before she became one of our children.

It's kinda funny actually. We met Maya at our friends place, we had went over for a coffee and discuss having Phoebe (our first grey) stay with her while we went to Spain for a couple of weeks. I remember sitting on the couch and watching Maya as she was...being Maya I guess (I find myself chuckling to myself as I write this...she was just so....quirky). At one point our friend stepped out of the room and Maya came over to the coffee table and slyly stole a cookie! It was hiliarious! Both Maya (wife) and I were stunned but immediately found the humor in it (we never bothered to say anything to our friend either...hell I don't think she's aware to this day)

We had a pizza incident exactly like that years later, but that story is for a different day...

I digress.

Anyways, It was then and there I fell so in love with that little girl and as fate (if there is such a thing) would have it, shortly thereafter we ended up bringing her into our home and having her as one of our own.

What I wouldn't do to be able to hold her one more time, to be able to smell her fur, to see her dance when about to be fed, her awkward zoomies.....

She took such a huge part of my heart when she went away.

So many fantastic memories. The adventures we've had with that little one, I could easily write a novel.

If you have a furbaby, go give them snuggles...no... give them lots of snuggles, take them on an adventure, give them their favorite snack, go create positive memories for the both of you to share.

They are finite, as are we. Make best the time you have with them because you will regret the times you don't...

Love them unconditionally
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #693 on: April 20, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
04/20/16

Writing Music - HELLYEAH - Various
Training Music - Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague (Album...I love this album)

Leg Press
585x5, 585x8 - Different machine than normal.

Back Extension
50x5x2 - +5 lbs

Barbell Shrug
405x8x2 - +1 rep

Standing Calf Raises
137kgx10x2 - +12kg

Barbell Wrist Curl
115x15x2 +15 lbs

Leg Press was in the shitter today, I was on a different machine today and it doesn't seem to give me the same freedoms as the other one. Oh well, it isn't worth sweating over.

Sitting at 208, summer is around the corner and I'm locked in with the dadbod...starting to wonder if I'll ever be strong enough again to get back to single digit BF.

Sad thing is, I need to drop weight for my hernia surgery and yet....here I am spinning my wheels with my nutrition. I really need to get my shit together.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline XavierNusum

« Reply #694 on: April 21, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
04/20/16

Writing Music - HELLYEAH - Various
Training Music - Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague (Album...I love this album)

Leg Press
585x5, 585x8 - Different machine than normal.

Back Extension
50x5x2 - +5 lbs

Barbell Shrug
405x8x2 - +1 rep

Standing Calf Raises
137kgx10x2 - +12kg

Barbell Wrist Curl
115x15x2 +15 lbs

Leg Press was in the shitter today, I was on a different machine today and it doesn't seem to give me the same freedoms as the other one. Oh well, it isn't worth sweating over.

Sitting at 208, summer is around the corner and I'm locked in with the dadbod...starting to wonder if I'll ever be strong enough again to get back to single digit BF.

Sad thing is, I need to drop weight for my hernia surgery and yet....here I am spinning my wheels with my nutrition. I really need to get my shit together.

For a second, I knew you were talking about me! LOL I'm so in the same boat!
",,,in the long run, motivation is just a notch above useless. take the emotion out of it and be disciplined."
-cwolfman13 (MFP member)

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #695 on: April 22, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »
You get it Merk. Just take a deep breath!

Or, you could just offer to restack the tires.....every day....for 3 months....I bet the weight would drop fast.... ;D
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline tobymax

• Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 169
« Reply #696 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
I'm a week late, but I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your Maya.  I truly feel for you.

Oh, and 405 lb shrugs?  Damn.  Isn't it funny how different leg press machines can feel so different than your usual one?
PRs:
OHP 140 - 8/27/15
BP 245 - 4/7/17
DL 345 - 8/26/15
Squat - ugh
Leg Press 670x2 - 12/10/15

Offline Merkley

« Reply #697 on: April 22, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
04/22/16

Writing Music: The Acacia Strain - "Coma Witch" Album
Training Music: Drowning Pool "Desensitized" Album

Deadlifts
345x5x2 - +20 lbs, Easier than I was expecting

Seated Calf Raises
100x15x2 - +10 lbs

Reverse Wrist Curls
60x15 - Fail!

Deads are going well, I'm cautiously moving the weight up and so far the herns is taking it well :). I failed out on the wrist curls big time! I didn't have my training sheet with me so I totally forgot what I did the week before so I winged it a bit and was totally off the mark...sad thing is, I again forgot my training sheet at work. Fack! So my Monday work out might be interesting.

'tis the weekend.
 – Socrates

Offline XavierNusum

« Reply #698 on: April 22, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »
Good stuff Merk!!
-cwolfman13 (MFP member)

Offline Merkley

« Reply #699 on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
04/25/16

Writing Music: Bring out Bane
Training Music: Lamb of God - Shuffled

Military Press
175x5x2 - +10 lbs - Tough!!

Chin ups
+35x5x2 - +15 lbs - Tough

D-bell Press
90x7, 90x6 - +Reps - Not bad, tough

Triceps Extension
170x10, 170x8 - +10 lbs - Tough

Barbell Curl
110x5 - +5 lbs - Tough

Barbell Row
N/A

I got to the gym late so I missed out on the Barbell Rows...shame. I'm getting to the point where shit is getting tough as hell to push clean. So I might start pushing for more reps vs. more weight. Either way I'm making progress and that's all that matters. I was happy with the 175 lbs military press I have to admit, I'm excited that I'm getting closer to that coveted 205 lbs military press.
 – Socrates

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #700 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:22 AM »
Damn son, color me impressed. Great job on those 175 military presses.

The +35 chins are no joke either. :thumbsup:
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Offline Merkley

« Reply #701 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »
Damn son, color me impressed. Great job on those 175 military presses.

The +35 chins are no joke either. :thumbsup:

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #702 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
04/27/16

Writing Music: Alice in Chains - "Dirt" album (Epic album, love it)
Training Music: Metallica Playlist from Spotify

Leg Press
404x5x2 - Herns was not playing nice so I kept it light

Hyper Extensions
+50x10x2 - Just wasn't into it

Barbell Shrugs
315x5x2 - Meh

Barbell Wrist Curls
120x15x2 - +5 lbs.

Standing Calf Raises
N/A

Again I got to the gym late so I was rushing and didn't complete my workout. I just wasn't into my training like I should have been, off day.

Shit happens, life moves on.

Diet has been in the shitter still and my weight has made it's way to 212....man it doesn't take me long to turn into a fat fuck! :doh:

I should write a book on how to get fat, I seem to be good at it.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #703 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »
04/28/16

Writing Music: Metallica - Shuffled (Master of Puppets, And Justice for All, Kill 'em all, Ride the Lightning albums)
Training Music Wage War - "Blueprints" Album

Incline Bench
225x5x2 - +10 lbs, tough

Palms Down Cable Row
255x6x2 - +15 lbs, not bad

Military Press Machine (Palms in)
160x5x2 - +10 lbs, easy

Chin ups
N/A

Top Range Close Grip Bench
180x10x2 - +5 Good

Hammer Curls
55x5x2 - +5, Getting better.

I was late and had to skip the Chin ups, Diet still in the shitter

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #704 on: May 01, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
04/29/16

Writing Music: Killswitch Engage - "Disarm the Descent" Album...Good stuff!
Training Music: Metallica- On Shuffle

Deadlift
355x5x2 - +10, Good

Standing Calf Raises
300x10x2 - meh

Reverse Wrist Curls
85x15x2 - +5 lbs, meh

I'm thinking of dropping the weight on the calf raises and the wrist curls. I'm feeling I'm not getting the range of motion I'd like with both. I'm feeling it where I need to, but I think there is too much momentum in certain areas of the lifts.

Deadlifts are climbing, the herns is taking it in stride so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Diet = shitter
 – Socrates