Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 73482 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »

95% last minute crap before leaving, dropped off at the airport, issues with finding the right place to check in, issues with phone provider trying to buy an international phone package....

It keeps going....

Once on the flight I was seated in front of a girl and her mother. The girl had some "unique" qualities about her (mentally unwell...and I don't hold it against her at all) she was upset her mom couldn't braid her hair properly and she made sure we all knew how upset she was. All was made well by the staff as they sat and braided her hair and gave her a winged pen (+1 for air Canada rouge!!!!) Prior to air Canada saving the day it was a trying 45 min or so, again no hate on the girl at all.

Car rental was fucked all to hell and man did we pay for it....literally $200 turned into $600!!!  From there we missed an exit, missed a turn, illegal U-turn, and a few other things later...FINALLY! At our hotel! Checked in and settled down by 3 am....

WHEW!!!! At this point I had been up for 23 hrs...

So we are here and alive!

Nice.

My last business flight to Fla we left in plenty of time, it was a literal whiteout down the highway corridor I had to go to the airport. In March. I was driving nearly blind at 45mph, got to the airport and they would not let me board. Turned into a 20 hour flight.

Once you get there and enjoy, oh so enjoy, so much enjoy

Ooooooh so much enjoy to be had!
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »
Good Morning or should I say afternoon.

So we are back home, safe and sound. First and foremost I'm glad to be posting from a PC vs an ipotato 4......truly that is a mistake I will not be making again for vacation. Either we are going to bring our laptop or an ipaddle!

First world problems, I know.

This past week I didn't train once. The hotel we were staying at had a weight room....but they only had a bench with d-bells that went to 50 lbs. I could have made something work, however.....I didn't  :P Instead I spent alot of time drinking, eating, and getting sunburned! Hurray! Though now that I am back home and in my element I will be back in the gym tomorrow!

I will be training the big 3's multiple times/lighter this week, getting ready for Saturdays meet. Of course I'm open to suggestions on how to train for this week since I'm still a major nOOb to powerlifting.

Side note: It has taken over 2 hours to write this  :P

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
We trained today and that will probably be it.  Might do a light bench session on Tuesday.  I dunno.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Merkley

« Reply #378 on: June 08, 2015, 04:37:21 PM »
06/08/15

-Squats-

Barx10
135x10
205x5
205x5

-Deadlift-

135x10
205x5
205x5

-Bench-

Barx30
135x10
155x5
155x5

BAILED!

Total time = 30 min

– Socrates

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
« Reply #379 on: June 08, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
Doesn't it stink getting back first day after vacation?  Ugh!

Will you leave it at that for the week?
Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Merkley

« Reply #380 on: June 08, 2015, 08:06:10 PM »
Doesn't it stink getting back first day after vacation?  Ugh!

Will you leave it at that for the week?

Work yes, gym heck no! I was uber excited to hit the gym this morning! I'm going on Wed and doing the same thing. 50% max load 2 working sets of 5 for the big three. For me this is for movement pattern and a sort of active recovery.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2015, 10:44:11 PM »
Ok,

Little bit of a late post but I've been reading and considering a few different peak week training cycles I want to try out. I originally considered the Lilliebridge method to get ready for the NYC powerlifting meet coming up in August. But instead of decided to try out the Candito 6 week training cycle. This training cycle will fit in perfectly with the time allotted to get ready for the NYC powerlifting meet in August (8 weeks from now).

Just so you all know I haven't fully committed to the NYC powerlifting meet (meaning full registered, etc.) I have alot going on IRL that needs attention and there is some stuff that could "potentially" derail my ability to make it. So I'm to play it by ear, but thus far it's looking pretty good.

My end game goals for the NYC meet are going to be a little outlandish.....but hey I'm crazy like that.

Squat - 450 (+40 lbs)
 Bench - 300 (+15 lbs)
 Dead - 500 (+50 lbs)

Two things on my immediate wish list for prepping for this show are a slingshot and proper wraps!

10:43 pm...4 am comes quick and I have some squats to destroy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:40:13 PM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2015, 06:47:30 PM »
Giddy up!

Offline Merkley

« Reply #383 on: June 17, 2015, 05:06:06 PM »
Dem gyms be missed all week.....not off to a good start to prepping for this NYC meet.
 – Socrates

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #384 on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
 :twak:

Offline Merkley

« Reply #385 on: June 17, 2015, 09:14:20 PM »
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
06/22/15

-SKWAATS-

Barx7
135x6
225x6
275x3
330x3
330x3
330x3
330x3

-DEADS-

135x5
225x3
315x1
225x1

Done

After essentially taking 3 weeks off I should have anticipated a poor performance, but I didn't. My lower back was really jacked up! The lower back pump was so damn painful I had to stop.

Tomorrow I will be better, tomorrow I will be stronger.
 – Socrates

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #387 on: June 22, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
I think that's the first time I've seen someone squat more than DL. Still some strong ass lifting.
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #388 on: June 23, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
I think that's the first time I've seen someone squat more than DL. Still some strong ass lifting.

:S

Trust me, if you had the lower back pump I had. I think you would have bailed too  :P
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #389 on: June 23, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »
06/23/15

-Bench Press-

Barx10
145x10
190x10
215x8
220x6

-Seated Cable Row-

210x10
210x10
240x8
260x6

-Seated OHP-

Barx12
Barx12
95x12
95x12
105x10
110x8

-Lat Pulldown-

120x12
120x12
140x10
160x8

-Bailed-

I'm really not used to hypertrophy style training anymore, whew! 10-12 reps! Good Lord what an ass whooping!
 – Socrates