Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 68519 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #975 on: July 04, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »
Morning Everyone.

I hope you all had a great weekend! Things here at the Merkley house were pretty busy for the most part. Saturday my coach was competing with the IDFA for physique so a few of us from the gym got together and went to support him. Chris had been working hard over the past 2 years for this and it paid off. He managed to take home 1st in masters physique, 1st novice physique, overall physique, 1st in pro physique, and took overall of the show.

Now you might be wondering how he managed to do novice and pro...well...

This was his first show with the IDFA and they of course had him compete in novice, which made sense. But! since winning the novice, masters, and overall that gave him his pro card right then and there. There was enough time (they were 30 min ahead of schedule) to have him compete against the pro guys as well. When he was approached about the idea of course he jumped on it. Wise choice in my opinion, because he then cleaned all their clocks as well.

The following day both Mrs. M and I were invited out for Chris' photoshoot. I spent the day as the behind the scenes photographer, and half a million other things.  It was a great day, lots of fun, laughs, and great food in the end.

Yesterday was kinda low key, but there were the usual chores that needed tending to. Though I did manage to squeak in some time on Diablo 3 to work with the new Necromancer class. What a bad ass motherfucker of a class, whew! I managed to plow through to level 68 just last night (I'm paragon 958 for those that understand that) so I was able to power level. Also I took the time to watch some Jim Wendler Seminars on youboobtube and get my learn on.

Now how has training been? well I haven't trained since last Wednesday since the gym was shut down Sat, Sun, Mon. So I should return to my normal program as of Wed. It's been weird not training at all...I haven't missed any workouts or took time off since April! Other than a Sunday Metcon to help move a friend. Since I was helping move I don't consider that a loss of a workout, it was a fuckin' workout.

Diet is going good! weight has been moving around as per usual. I've been as low as 201.6 and upwards of 208. I average 204-ish. I'm in week 9 of my cut and I would like to see the 190's by the end. I'm projecting 195-198 to be my end total. Chris is thinking we can get me lower than that. I trust his judgment but we shall see.... 3 more weeks to go.

Anyways, time to get ready for work.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:16:58 AM by Merkley »
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #976 on: July 06, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »
D34DZ

30 min rowing
Box sumo's, Frogs, Thread the needle, and some ankle mobility to get things moving in the right direction.

Sumo Deads

Barx5
135x5
225x3
315x3
315x6
315x6
315x6

~Fin~

I'm still really new to sumo so I don't see the sense in going super heavy, right now it's all about learning proper form and building proper motor patterns. Diet is still going well.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #977 on: July 06, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »
Nice job Merk!
Learning a new-to-you style is never a short process, kudos for tackling it at the right pace.

You had a busy weekend for sure! That's cool about your coach taking all those divisions  8)
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #978 on: July 06, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »
Nice job Merk!
Learning a new-to-you style is never a short process, kudos for tackling it at the right pace.

You had a busy weekend for sure! That's cool about your coach taking all those divisions  8)

Yeah its been awkward and I feel clumsy, but I'm sure I'll get used to it...eventually.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #979 on: July 06, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
Ok, so....there are going to be a few changes to my training for the next few weeks.

As I'm nearing the end of my cut we need to up the energy expenditure as I've previously stated and implemented. However, I've stalled slightly even with the increases...sooooo, after having a good conversation with my coach we are going to be ramping things up even more. So powerlifting will continue but the rep range will go back to 20 and will remain there for the next few weeks. Also I'm going to be adding in more METCON's throughout the week, and rowing will be a nearly daily staple or some form of LISS.

Also I've had to make some modifications to my diet, nothing major thankfully. I'll be reducing my fats and my weekly cheat meal will be more of a controlled refeed more than anything.

– Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #980 on: July 07, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
Ok, so....there are going to be a few changes to my training for the next few weeks.

As I'm nearing the end of my cut we need to up the energy expenditure as I've previously stated and implemented. However, I've stalled slightly even with the increases...sooooo, after having a good conversation with my coach we are going to be ramping things up even more. So powerlifting will continue but the rep range will go back to 20 and will remain there for the next few weeks. Also I'm going to be adding in more METCON's throughout the week, and rowing will be a nearly daily staple or some form of LISS.

Also I've had to make some modifications to my diet, nothing major thankfully. I'll be reducing my fats and my weekly cheat meal will be more of a controlled refeed more than anything.

Has your diet improved your IBS? I haven't seen you talk about a flair up for a while.

I've had a few set backs myself on diet the past 2 weeks and need to get straightened out.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Merkley

« Reply #981 on: July 07, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »

Has your diet improved your IBS? I haven't seen you talk about a flair up for a while.

I've had a few set backs myself on diet the past 2 weeks and need to get straightened out.

IBS has been awesome!!!! I've had no issues whatsoever! Keeping my fat on the very low end of the spectrum seems to have helped dramatically, also no red meat. So yes, I would say the diet restructuring has made a massive difference! I hope yours calms down, shit sucks...literally!
 – Socrates

Offline piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
« Reply #982 on: July 07, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

IBS has been awesome!!!! I've had no issues whatsoever! Keeping my fat on the very low end of the spectrum seems to have helped dramatically, also no red meat. So yes, I would say the diet restructuring has made a massive difference! I hope yours calms down, shit sucks...literally!

That's good!
I don't have the issues, it's my oldest son with Crohn's. But I'm hyper sensitive when people talk about intestinal diseases since we've been dealing with his Crohn's for 15 years (he's 19 and was diagnosed at 4).
Seeing what he has gone through.....gives me a lot of sympathy for those dealing with those kind of issues.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #983 on: July 07, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
New plan looks good Merk, moar work for moar results! Great job hitting 200!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #984 on: July 07, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
Damn good work on getting a handle on your weight.  You just may pass me soon.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #985 on: July 08, 2017, 07:12:48 AM »

That's good!
I don't have the issues, it's my oldest son with Crohn's. But I'm hyper sensitive when people talk about intestinal diseases since we've been dealing with his Crohn's for 15 years (he's 19 and was diagnosed at 4).
Seeing what he has gone through.....gives me a lot of sympathy for those dealing with those kind of issues.

So I take back my previous statement...I had a small flair up this morning. Nothing too intense, I might have used too much salsa with my dinner last night.

I've been dealing with IBS (and the worse part of the spectrum) since I was 8. 24 years now, or 97 in dog years, OR 2 in dog years depending how you look at it.

Of course Crohn's/Colitis are different beasts in themselves. I have dam feels for your kiddo.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #986 on: July 08, 2017, 07:16:22 AM »
Damn good work on getting a handle on your weight.  You just may pass me soon.

New plan looks good Merk, moar work for moar results! Great job hitting 200!

Thanks guys! I'm feeling a lot better being 30 lbs down, but even at 200 lbs I feel sluggish still. I'm going to bring things down another 20 lbs and see how things looks and feel after the fact.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #987 on: July 08, 2017, 10:43:01 AM »
Squats and other things.

Rowing 6 min
 Kettlebell sumo squats on boxes x 10 (helps me with depth and getting things warmed up
 Stretching 10 min (I did a bunch of yoga poses like thread the needle, etc....I cannot remember the names)
 Barx10
 95x20
 145x20
 145x20
 145x21 - Added one as a fuck you.

Crunches super'd with Push ups
 20/20
 20/20
 20/20
 20/20
 20/20
 20/20

Total time was 1hr 15min.

Also I did an 1hr of rowing at 5 am yesterday.

Tomorrow is an 8am METCON, upper back style.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #988 on: July 10, 2017, 06:42:34 AM »
Sunday METCON

6 min rowing
sumo deads w/kettlebell on boxes x 10 (bringing hands to ankle height)
Stretching

Burpees x 20
Deadlifts x 12
Cable Rows x 20
Pull ups x 15
Pull Downs x 12
21's (I will assume most of you know what 21's are)
1 arm cable pulldowns x 20
Prowler (210 lbs) x 2 laps (had to walk SLOW)

4 rounds done in 1 hr 10 min

This Metcon was worse than I anticipated! The prowler and the burpees were the things that beat me the hardest. Whew!

Tonight is the bench!
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #989 on: July 10, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
Sunday Metcon! Yikes! Just barfed a bit  :o
Hard session man, great job!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \