Author Topic: Be positive, Appreciate, Elevate.  (Read 116272 times)

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Be positive, Appreciate, Elevate.
« Reply #1500 on: February 11, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »
How’s the back buddy? Hopefully just a minor tweak!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online Merkley

• Self love my friends, appreciate, elevate.
  • Weight: Working on making it better.
« Reply #1501 on: February 11, 2020, 02:55:43 PM »
How’s the back buddy? Hopefully just a minor tweak!

So far it's feeling really good. Yesterday it started out tender but by days end it seemed to be back to normal. Today has been on the same trend. I'll find out tonight when I go to the gym.

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1502 on: February 12, 2020, 09:56:20 AM »
It's a glorious morning!

The weather is nice (for this time of year at least), the morning sunrise was beautiful to watch, it's going to be a good day :)

A quick recap of last night.

BACK/BI's

ONE ARM ROWS
80x20
120x20
170x10
200x10
240x5
260x5
240x5
200x5
200x5

PULLOVERS
200x10
200x10
200x10

BENT OVER BARBELL ROWS
135x10
135x10
135x10

DUMBBELL CURLS
5x10
10x10
15x10
20x10
25x10
20x10
DROP SET
15x10
DROP SET
10x10
DROP SET
5x10

CAMBERED BAR CABLE CURL
70x10
80x10
80x10
80x10

30 min brisk walk outside followed by 15 flights of stairs in 4 min.

The daily total was 18 floors, 15,041 steps, HR 61 rest 128 Max.

Book read: The Joy of Movement by Kelly McGonigal.

My cold shower was shorter than normal. Usually, I do 5-6 min (timed) but last night was 2 min. I was running out of time and decided to cut that short in order to get in a few rounds of deep breathing before going to bed. I did 1:21/1:42/2:03. I use the Whim Hof Method for deep breathing. I use the WHM app to keep track of my showers and breathing.

Speaking of apps, let me give you guys a rundown of what I am using at the moment to track my fitness, food, sleep, and overall quality of life.

-Garmin Vivoactive 3 smartwatch.
-MyFitnessPal app (Food)
-Presently app (Daily Gratitude journal)
-Relax Melodies app (meditation, binaural beats, white noise, etc.)
-WHM app (Wim Hof method breathing, cold shower tracking)
-Samsung Health app
-Health Sync (syncs information from my smartwatch to Samsung health app, Garmin Connect, MyFitnessPal, Google Fit)
-Garmin Connect app
-Google Fit app
-Optimize.me app (books)
-Spotify (music, podcast, deep focus, sleep prep)

Since we're on the topic let's look at supplements,
-Ashwagandha 900 mg (adaptogen, stress management)
-Melatonin 20 mg (sleep)
-Magnesium 500 mg (we tend to be deficient)
-St.Johns Wort 3000 mg (Stress management)
-Turmeric Curcumin 1500 mg (anti-inflammatory, antioxidants)

This lineup changes frequently, it's a constant work in progress.

May you have a great day and a good life.
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1503 on: February 12, 2020, 10:48:22 AM »
Today is the end of an era.

After 17 years JSF (John Stone Fitness) closed its doors today. For many of you, if not all, this means nothing. However, for me, this has had a very strong impact on my life. Let me give you a quick overview.

Winter 2005 I'm fat, addicted, and on a crash course collision with rock bottom. I come to this realization and start reaching out for change.
 Spring 2005 I come across John Stone and his transformation on Bodybuilding.com. Something about his journey clicked... so is the beginning.
 Summer 2005 I become part of the JSF community, created a thread, and the rest is mainly history.

A few things from the highlight reel.

This community got to be a part of my transformation that led to multiple online interviews (JSF, Bodybuilding.com, Zodbod.com, Anabolic Xtreme, etc.) supplement company work (testing/advertising for Scivation, Nutrabolics, Anabolic Xtreme) and even getting some facetime in a Muscular Development magazine.

Through this community, I felt a sense of belonging, that people cared about my well being. It gave me a creative outlet for writing and expression, not just a place to merely log my day to day food and training. It allowed me to share my knowledge, and also learn from those around me. I got to work with amazing community members like bodybuilder Aram Hamparian. They were there to celebrate my wins and shared my loses as well.

I met my wife there, 13 years strong.

I wouldn't be where I am without JSF. I'm forever in John's debt for the courage he displayed in putting his transformation into the world for all those to see. He helped create a community, a family.

There's so much more that I'd like to say. However, I will leave off this.

Thank you John and the JSF community, you'll be missed. May peace find you in your journies.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1504 on: February 13, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
Good Morning IS,

I hope you're all having a great day.

Last night was filled with a work meeting, a quick dinner date with Mrs.M, and then some business stuff afterward. I've had a few days of rough sleep, so when I was doing my deep breathing last night I fell asleep immediately after. It was a well-needed rest! I'm grateful Mrs.M took over my share of the evening responsibilities and let me sleep.

Yesterday I did close to 8000 steps, I didn't quite hit the mark. I need to make a better effort in getting in 10,000 as a bare minimum. I did a 4-minute meditation session in the morning and then 3 rounds of deep breathing in the evening. The evening was 1:23/1:33/1:57.

Tonight I'm going to get to the gym and do some chest/tri/shoulder work followed by some walking and stairs.

May you find peace and gratitude through your day today.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online DrManhattan

• Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 225
« Reply #1505 on: February 13, 2020, 06:22:10 PM »
I have a buddy who swears by the WHM.
WH is an extra terrestrial. good stuff.

Glad you take the time to share. Thanks.
We gotta take the time to take care of these vessels in this short voyage.
Enjoy the ride. Definitely interesting.

Online Merkley

« Reply #1506 on: February 14, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »
Good Morning one and all!

It's currently -21C (with the windchill it feels like -30C), sunshine, and Friday (a pre-long weekend Friday might I add). It's gonna be a great day.

Last night's workout;

AGILE 8

INCLINE BENCH PRESS
BARx20
135x10
135x10
135x10
185x6
225x2
225x2
135x10

SEATED MACHINE PRESS w/ 15 SEC ISO HOLD ON LAST REP OF EACH SET SS TRICEP ROPE PULLDOWN
110x10/80x20
110x10/80x20
110x10/80x20

CHEST/TRI PRESSDOWN MACHINE SS LONG ROPE TRICEP PULLDOWN
185x15/100x10
185x15/100x10
185x20/100x10

30 MIN OUTSIDE BRISK WALK.

FIN

I did 13,746 steps (10.62 km) throughout the day, most coming from the walk I did after the gym. I fell short on my stairs, I want to get in at least 10 flights daily (I did 6).

I hope you have a great Friday! What are 5 things you're grateful for today?

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1507 on: February 14, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
-32, -40 with wind today here 😳
Good work buddy:

Gratitude:
1: my beautiful wife
2: my boys
3: my health
4: my great friends
5: the health of all my loved ones
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1508 on: February 17, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »
-32, -40 with wind today here 😳
Good work buddy:

Gratitude:
1: my beautiful wife
2: my boys
3: my health
4: my great friends
5: the health of all my loved ones

a little nippy back home it would seem, wow. Those are great things to be grateful for! I hope the hip feels better.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online Merkley

« Reply #1509 on: February 17, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
Happy holiday Monday everyone!

I hope you've all had a great weekend filled with all the awesome stuff that life has to offer.

Over the past few days, I've done a few walks trying to keep my steps up, meditation, breathwork, cold showers, and an attempt at a cold bath (this didn't work the way I had hoped, I didn't have enough ice and only got the water to 16C). Other than that I've been laying low with some good reads and nursing my right knee (it's been acting up again).

Luckily enough it felt really good today so I made sure to get down to the gym and get in some leg work. I got to the gym and found out they were closing in 20 min (closed at 1 pm due to the holiday).

Well, challenge accepted!

5 min lower body stretches.

LEG CURL
70X20
100X10
120X10 + 10 PARTIALS
170X5
170X5
DROP SET
140X5 + 10 PARTIALS
DROP SET
120X5 + 10 PARTIALS
DROP SET
70X5 + 10 PARTIALS

LEG EXTENSIONS
70X25
100X10
140X5
170X6
200X6
200X6
200X6

SQUATS SS CALF RAISES
135X10 SS BWX15
135X10 SS BWX15
135X10 SS BWX15
135X10 SS BWX15

2.5 WALK/JOG (GARMIN BEGINNER 5K RUN PROGRAMMING), FOLLOWED BY A 1 KM WALK TO THE GROCERY STORE, WALKING AROUND THE GROCERY STORE, AND THEN A 1 KM WALK BACK. ONCE GET BACK TO OUR PLACE I HAD MRS.M TAKE THE ELEVATOR WHILE I DID 15 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS. I WALKED 5 FLIGHTS, RAN 6 FLIGHTS, WALKED 3 FLIGHTS, AND THEN RAN 1 FLIGHT. I REWARDED MYSELF BY TAKING THE ELEVATOR DOWN TO OUR FLOOR.

FIN

Now I'm not much of a runner, I did running in elementary school for phys ed. and I hated it, a lot. In high school I wasn't fond of running or heavy taxing cardiovascular drills. I did, however, use running as a weight-loss tool back in 2005 when I did my initial weight-loss transformation...I tolerated it. Also, I ran a 5 km leg of a run for the cure marathon though my work approx. 10 years ago. This ended up being closer to a 10 km because I ended up off course by a couple km's. The aftermath of this "5km run" had me really back away from running and pretty much swore off the idea of doing it again.

Well....things change.

I've had this itch to learn to run lately, not just run but to learn how to run. I feel I've lacked any real success with running because I lacked the education on how to run, and how to train for running. So, now I'm trying it out. Through my Garmin watch and programs for the watch I tapped into training programs and the one that tugged at me was learning/training to run a 5 k. After a series of questions, I was left choosing my "coach". There were 3 and after 10 min of reading their stories, etc. I ended up choosing Jeff Galloway. His resume is impressive and I look forward to learning from a real OG of the sport. Jeff has been doing this for over 50 years and was in the Olympics back in 1972.

So let's see where this road takes me, I'm excited to learn something new and see how my body responds.

Also, I find myself digging deeper into Wim Hof's teachings. I'm most likely going to be taking his fundamentals course in the near future (and yet another piece of education I will need to do and finish amongst the rest)

Anyhow, I'm going to step away and try my hand at making beef jerky.

I hope you have a good day and a good life.  :D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:26:31 PM by Merkley »
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1510 on: February 18, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
Sounds like running is a great new challenge! To be honest I would have loved to be running a bit all along but my hip was way too bad. May actually pick it up this summer depending on how recovery goes! I know my dogs could use the exercise haha
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1511 on: February 19, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »
Sounds like running is a great new challenge! To be honest I would have loved to be running a bit all along but my hip was way too bad. May actually pick it up this summer depending on how recovery goes! I know my dogs could use the exercise haha

I really hope you get the opportunity to get some running in over this summer. :)
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1512 on: February 19, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »

I really hope you get the opportunity to get some running in over this summer. :)
I’ll definitely be walking lots if I can’t run, see what happens. Love my area for walks, and my 3 gurls need the exercise
☻/
/ \

Online Merkley

« Reply #1513 on: February 19, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
W1 D2 5k:

Today's running consisted of 10 min walk/jog followed by two 30 sec CD's (Cadence drills) and then a 10 min cooldown. My average run cadence was 135 spm with a max of 200 spm. The average speed was 6 km/h, moving speed was 6.2 km/h and a max of 10.1 km/h. The total time was 22:15 for 2.23 km. My average pace was 9:58 min/km a moving pace of 9:45 min/km. The best pace was 5:55 min/km.

I wrapped up my walk/run with some chest, shoulders, tris.

INCLINE BENCH PRESS
BARX20
135X6
135X6
135X6
185X5
185X5
185X5

CHEST PRESS
200X8
200X8
200X8

CHEST FLYES
100X10
100X10
100X10

REVERSE PEC DEK
120X10 +10 SEC ISO HOLD
120X10 +10 SEC ISO HOLD
120X10 +10 SEC ISO HOLD

MILITARY PRESS
BARX20
95X8
95X8
135X5

TRICEP PRESSDOWN
100X10
120X10
150X6
170X6
190X6
190X6
190X6

SPRINTED 2 BLOCKS.

FIN

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1514 on: February 19, 2020, 08:37:17 PM »
Beauty day! Are you planning to lean out a bit with the running goals as well?
☻/
/ \