Author Topic: Greg's Lifting Journal  (Read 5336 times)

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #330 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Last night I completed the following Sheiko Workout (#32_Wk4_A):

Bench Press   5-45, 3-155, 2x3 @ 185, 2x2 @ 215, 3x1 @ 230

Deadlifts   3-225, 3-265, 3x2 @ 315

Superset:
Decline Situps 2x10
Chins   2x5

Bodyweight: 220.2 Pounds

Workout Duration: 0:43:20.41 h:mm:ss

Good workout last night at Untamed Strength.  It was a short taper workout.  Everything felt pretty good.

I've got one more light workout with squats and bench on Thursday then it's on to the meet on Sunday.  My meet will last all day Sunday, then I've got to get up at 2:30 am Monday morning to go to the airport for a weeklong business trip to Montreal so that should be interesting. :)

Solid training boss.

Does Untamed have a Reverse Hyper? Ever since I started using one my low back has felt a lot more stable with my squats and pulls.

Thanks Anthony. :)  They do have a Reverse Hyper there.  I have never used it but maybe I'll give it a try after my meet.  I'm going to spend some time getting back to basics and working on various weaknesses so that could definitely be in the mix.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
Re: Greg's Lifting Journal
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »
On Sunday I had my meet (the Old Skool Iron Classic) in Vacaville CA.  The meet was great but exhausting as those things usually are.  I got home around 8 pm and had to wake up at 2 am on Monday morning to drive to the Sacramento airport for a 6 am flight to San Francisco and then on to Montreal.  I'm here in Montreal all week and keeping super busy at work.  Because of all of that activity, it has taken me a while to get around to logging it in my journal.

Heading into the meet, I was tired from work the previous week, but Sheiko had me wrap up my training with a light workout on Thursday.  Thus even though I felt sluggish, physically I was in good shape.

I wasn't feeling great starting the squats.  My opener at 308.65 felt heavy so I deviated from my plan and went for 319.7 on attempt 2.  It went up fine as did 325.18 for #3.  In the end, I felt like I had much more in the tank and wish I would've pushed it harder but I really wanted to go 3/3 and both #2 and #3 were new PRs so I can't complain, although in hindsight I would've liked to have gone for 336 or 341.

Bench felt pretty good.  I opened with 292.1 and moved on to 303.14 for #2.  It went up and felt strong so I moved to 308.65 for #3.  I lost tightness at the bottom of this attempt and it was a fail.  I think I had the strength to do it, it was just a mental failure, so I'll get it next time.

For deads I opened with 413.37 and moved on to 440.92 for #2.  My PR at home was 445 so I pushed it some and went for 451.95 on #3.  I hit it and might have had a little more in me but really this felt close to my limit so I was very satisfied with that.  My PR at my meet last September was 407.86, so I've come a long way since then with deads and feel like I'm finally making steady progress there.

In the end I was very happy with this meet.  I went 8/9 and was happy about that.  Alan Thrall was lifting there along with some really strong dudes (the biggest squat was 829) so that made it fun.  Also, it felt like Sheiko really put me in a good spot peak wise.  My total was 1080, which was 55 pounds heavier than my meet on 1/27, so that was really good progress.

Now I plan to switch over to 531 for a while and work on lots of sub-maximal lifting to build up my underlying strength and cut some fat.  I'm going to try to wait a year before my next meet to really have some time to improve (if I can fight the competition bug).  Next year I want to hit 1200. :D

Here are videos of my 3 top lifts:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjBHG83hXaS
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/