Author Topic: Bando's Oly Lifting  (Read 6411 times)

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Bando's Oly Lifting
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:02 AM »
fat flexible little man

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Marius

• User Title
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 193 Pounds
Re: Bando's Oly Lifting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »
You want a little feedback? I'm not very good at the Oly lifts myself, but I can see some stuff you can work on. Some of it's the same stuff I have to work on. :)
TMonkey is one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
You want a little feedback? I'm not very good at the Oly lifts myself, but I can see some stuff you can work on. Some of it's the same stuff I have to work on. :)

Absolutely, I can see plenty of things that need work. I did isolate portions of the lift for warmup before putting together that mess  ::)

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Marius

• User Title
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
OK, first let me say, nice crotch.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I saw the component lifting in your log. That's a great way to get the pieces going in your brain.

You need to start your drop a little earlier. You're overpulling on the rack portion of the lift. The way it was explained to me is just as the bar is about midway between the thigh and the navel, you should start dropping to catch the bar in the rack position.

Rotate your elbows out at the start of the second pull and pull the bar toward you and not so much up. This will help with elbow whip and pullunder speed.

Pull harder with your hips and less with your arms. The arms should do little more than keep the bar in line with your body.

This is all stuff that I'm working on fixing, too. You're off to an awfully good start, though.

Offline Marius

• User Title
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
Here. This is a video I shot last week of me practicing the second pull for the snatch. You can see I need to work on all the same stuff I told you about.

Snatch2ndPull20120404.MOV

I've been doing this shit for years, but every time I go a while without doing it, it seems to take forever for the components to come together again.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
OK, first let me say, nice crotch.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I saw the component lifting in your log. That's a great way to get the pieces going in your brain.

You need to start your drop a little earlier. You're overpulling on the rack portion of the lift. The way it was explained to me is just as the bar is about midway between the thigh and the navel, you should start dropping to catch the bar in the rack position.

Rotate your elbows out at the start of the second pull and pull the bar toward you and not so much up. This will help with elbow whip and pullunder speed.

Pull harder with your hips and less with your arms. The arms should do little more than keep the bar in line with your body.

This is all stuff that I'm working on fixing, too. You're off to an awfully good start, though.

All good advice and thanks. Next time I'll film just the full hang cleans where I feel alot better about my time to get under the bar. Any advice on getting the elbows up, stretches?

DIEL?

Offline Marius

• User Title
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
No, the only advice I've gotten on elbow whip was related to the hip drive. The faster and harder you pull up your hips, the faster your elbows will follow. Mine elbow whip still sucks as you can see.

But it's improving! LOL

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »
Interesting. Good work
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
Interesting. Good work

Thanks.

Need lots of work, that was a rough draft. Hope I can keep the ego in check to perfect the form before I end up with an injury - I was looking at other weights today just because it's so ingrained to want to go heavier  :-\

DIEL?

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »
Here. This is a video I shot last week of me practicing the second pull for the snatch. You can see I need to work on all the same stuff I told you about.

I've been doing this shit for years, but every time I go a while without doing it, it seems to take forever for the components to come together again.

Had 1 lesson for the snatch, I did a lot better in the gym, but of course my trainer was right there to correct my form.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

DIEL?

Offline Marius

• User Title
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Not bad. You're taking to it pretty fast. That's good shoulder flexibility. Most people can't drop into the overhead squat that early on. I know I couldn't, and with my right shoulder being a bit funny, I still can't drop most of the time.

Your second pull looks good, good drive, good pull under. From what I can see, it looks like what you need is repetition to shore it all up.

Offline djflex

• Hey, you gonna finish that sandwich ?
  • Height: 5 6
  • Weight: Pleasantly plump
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »
Bando your arms r looking bigger in that vid...gjdm
Carrots may be good for your eyes,
But booze will double your vision

Offline drarmament

• Height: 5'8"
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
Great vid, I love doing Oly lifting,

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
Great vid, I love doing Oly lifting,

thanks. that's really bad. I'll get a better vid.

DIEL?

Offline Gnomusmaximus

• Height: short
  • Weight: more than I should
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
So I have finaly decided to put some effort into that Masters qualifying total Bando.  Was spending alot of time on the ironmind forum and got some great advice from Jim Schmitz.  Been working on alot of stuff from him.  He has his Masters train 2 or three days/week.  Right now 2 is all I can do (coaching this season).  I'm taking his 3 day/week program and rotating  it over 2 days.  Basically his thought is that along with the O lifts you should squat....squat more...and after that squat.  Unfortunately the ironmind forum got filtered as well (WTF?) so I think I am done there.  Right now it's Day 1: Clean/Jerk and Front Squat, Day 2: Snatch and Back Squat, Day 3: Clean Grip DL and Strict Press.  Right now I am doing conditioning instead of any assistance work just because of time constraints.  Once coaching is done I'll break off the conditioning into  seperate days and add more assistance stuff.