Author Topic: Inner leg exercises  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Inner leg exercises
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
People have been telling me that my knees go inwards on squats because my inner thigh and posterior chain muscles are underdeveloped and tight. Any exercises to help drive my knees outwards? I've been leg-pressing and trying to guide my knees along my feet, but there's got to be something more productive. I was told to use tension bands?
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Re: Inner leg exercises
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »
Just squat and work on keeping your knees out.  No need to get sidetracked.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »

Is there a way to help keep them going outwards? I try to correct myself, but will that work on it's own?
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »

Is there a way to help keep them going outwards? I try to correct myself, but will that work on it's own?
From past posts, you lack mobility.  When you squat, you have to force your knees out and it's not easy to do with hip mobility issues.  I've been there and am still there in a way.  My first warm up is without the bar and I just squat down and sit there moving side to side opening up my hips and stretching.  All my lighter warmups are paused in the hole to stretch everything out.   I'm a wide-stance squatter so imagine how much harder that is to keep your knees out over the toes.

Keep working on your form and mobility.  Don't sacrifice form for more weight on the bar.  Once you can squat comfortably, your squat will skyrocket.  Fight the weight with bad form and you'll be fighting the same weights for a long time.  Wax on, wax off Danielson.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »

From past posts, you lack mobility.  When you squat, you have to force your knees out and it's not easy to do with hip mobility issues.  I've been there and am still there in a way.  My first warm up is without the bar and I just squat down and sit there moving side to side opening up my hips and stretching.  All my lighter warmups are paused in the hole to stretch everything out.   I'm a wide-stance squatter so imagine how much harder that is to keep your knees out over the toes.

Keep working on your form and mobility.  Don't sacrifice form for more weight on the bar.  Once you can squat comfortably, your squat will skyrocket.  Fight the weight with bad form and you'll be fighting the same weights for a long time.  Wax on, wax off Danielson.

Ok, Mr. Miyagi :)

I do lack mobility, and I've managed to gain some of it back- it's a daily struggle. I squat with a somewhat wide stance, which helps me a little bit. I can barely get to the hole, and I can go a bit lower than partial squats. However, I've made a significant improvement since day 1, where I couldn't even squat the bar and get anywhere near parallel.

I use the leg press with a 45lb plate on each side for about 10 reps before squatting. I hold a squatted (bottom) form, which helps me stretch. After doing it, I can go lower than usual.

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »
narrow or wide stance my inner legs seem to always be the sorest part after a good squat session

i usually go just a bit over shoulder width

you want a I-S shirt.  They have sales all the time, get one then.
http://www.zazzle.com/222university*

Online Fiend_73

• Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 260
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
The vaginator might be in order here;

aka the adductor machine

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:19 PM »
The vaginator might be in order here;

aka the adductor machine

I don't think we've got one lol
And my outer thighs are usually sore

Online Fiend_73

• Height: 6' 1"
  • Weight: 260
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
That don't hit the outer leg, only the inner.
The abductor would.

Sounds like you have some good answers and already putting in work.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
I meant squats make my outer thigh sore lol, not that machine