Author Topic: What does the military do?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
What does the military do?
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
Recently, I met a friend who graduated high school and went into ROTC in college. I hadn't seen him in a while. He was chunky and out-of-shape for all of college, but now that I've seen him after he went into the military, he's built like a tank. What kind of training do the armed forces put you through?

I always imagine training to involve a lot of endurance training and running/marching, doesn't a lot of cardio make it difficult to get muscle gains? Is there a formal weightlifting program that they put you through? Or is it a free-for-all
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
Re: What does the military do?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
It all depends on the branch of the military and the MOS chosen.  Marine infantry does a LOT of running, calisthenics, and forced marches which are mostly a mental thing.  There's also the occasional obstacle course and agility stuff which was fun and hand to hand combat training.

I work with a lot of military in my job and only the Marines are in shape.  The rest are overweight and out of shape for the most part because they are computer geeks and their branches don't think PT is important I guess.  It's pretty sad.  I even got into an argument with one who asked me how running a mile would allow him to do his job better.  Marines are all riflemen first and have strict weight and physical fitness standards.  Those not meeting the standard are put on programs.  If that doesn't fix it they are discharged.  I had to get weight waivers when I was in because I was always over my maximum allowed weight for my height due to my lifting.  My max weight was 172 for 5'6" and I was 185 with a 29" waist (it's 33" now :().  However, I was a lean, mean fighting machine with a 3 mile run time under 18:30 and did my 20 pullups and 120 situps easily.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
It all depends on the branch of the military and the MOS chosen.  Marine infantry does a LOT of running, calisthenics, and forced marches which are mostly a mental thing.  There's also the occasional obstacle course and agility stuff which was fun and hand to hand combat training.

I work with a lot of military in my job and only the Marines are in shape.  The rest are overweight and out of shape for the most part because they are computer geeks and their branches don't think PT is important I guess.  It's pretty sad.  I even got into an argument with one who asked me how running a mile would allow him to do his job better.  Marines are all riflemen first and have strict weight and physical fitness standards.  Those not meeting the standard are put on programs.  If that doesn't fix it they are discharged.  I had to get weight waivers when I was in because I was always over my maximum allowed weight for my height due to my lifting.  My max weight was 172 for 5'6" and I was 185 with a 29" waist (it's 33" now :().  However, I was a lean, mean fighting machine with a 3 mile run time under 18:30 and did my 20 pullups and 120 situps easily.

He's in the Army as an officer, but I don't think his MOS does anything too extreme. Possibly a program he put himself on?
Were the Marines actually forced to lift, or is it like something to do during rec. time?
Also, what was the process of getting a weight waiver like? Never heard of that before.

I want to go into the military after college and medical school, as a trauma surgeon. One reason I pushed myself to get into better shape.
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »
If we wanted to lift, we had to do it during our free time.  Actually, for infantry, physical strength isn't all that important.  Stamina and mental toughness are more important.  I lifted for vanity reasons.

Every six months we had a PFT (Physical Fitness Test).  Once that was done they did the height and weight measurements.  If you were overweight, you had to go see the Gunny to have your neck and waist measured to see if you were overweight because you were a fat ass or a beast like I was.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
If we wanted to lift, we had to do it during our free time.  Actually, for infantry, physical strength isn't all that important.  Stamina and mental toughness are more important.  I lifted for vanity reasons.

Every six months we had a PFT (Physical Fitness Test).  Once that was done they did the height and weight measurements.  If you were overweight, you had to go see the Gunny to have your neck and waist measured to see if you were overweight because you were a fat ass or a beast like I was.

Very interesting, thank you.
What if you were a fatass but strong?

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »
Then you were a fatass and had to join porkchop platoon.  That's were you get to skip lunch and get in another session of PT.  There are no fatasses in the Marines.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
Liposuction In The Military On The Rise | 'Pork Chop Platoon'

Jesus, they actually do kick people for being fat.

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
I'll write a small book on this topic when I get home tonight.  Stay tuned.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
I'll write a small book on this topic when I get home tonight.  Stay tuned.

Eagerly waiting haha

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
Ok, here we go.

I am not or have ever been an employee of uncle Sam,  but here's what I've witnessed from 3 years in JrROTC and 4 years as a civilian contractor at a PA Army NG training regiment.

Pre-IET (Boot Camp) high school kids, scrawny as hell and at best can just clear the initial requirements for enlistment.

Boot Camp is great, mostly.  Wake up at a God - awful time of the morning, usually 0430, formation in front of your barracks by 0500, followed by a quick run for about 30 minutes (read:fasted cardio), stretching (read: limbering up in a warm state), followed by light bodyweight calestentics (sp?) for another 20 minutes.  Then breakfast.  Rest of your day is fairly unknown to me beyond rushing in the dining hall and stuff your face with close to 1000 or more calories of sustinance before rushing back out again.  Usually your day ends around sundown.  At the end of this time period,  you'll be lean and mean as your buddy is probably at right now.

After that is ART, if my memory is correct,  basically advanced training depending on which direction you go. Basically the same shit, different day with less yelling in your face.

This is usually where that god like body ends cause you get to start making your own choices again.  By the time you enter WLC (perquisite for E-5) you're back to struggling to meet requirements again if you're not careful. But that's more for enlisted non - career types. 

Your buddy went the ROTC route, so he graduated at an O-1 or 2. Higher standards and tougher competition to move up the ranks as an officer.  I haven't seen many captains an never saw a colonel that would ever have to be taped (as BLK00TJ said,  he hit a lot of good points in his post).

A few observations.  Soldiers are not trained to be strong.  They get forced into general physical preparation training.  Long days, long runs, basically fit with nothing to be especially great at. After all the training they have to be good enough for the yearly PFT, but everyone either gets lazy or gravitates towards what they enjoy or suits them. Lots of marathoners, long distance cyclists,  etc. A very few go the weight lifting route (remember lean and mean). But the ones I've come across were great examples of being big and strong,  but not fat by any means (probably also because of knowing they can fail the weight requirements but pass the tape).

Nutrition in the service (coming from knowing the standards of my contract catering scope of work) are not conducive for weight training.  They are very basic with the only emphasis on a little protein and a lot of calories (there's other specifics to sodium content among other things). Remember that they affectionately call it "sustinance" for a reason (lean and mean). 

So.....

If you want to look like your buddy,  wake up at fuck all early in the morning,  run 30 minutes,  dance in your living room to p90x, eat breakfast,  do 2 to 4 more rounds of p90x,  lunch,  2-4 more rounds of p90x,  dinner then something lighter like vintage Richard Simmons then go to bed and repeat the next day.  Sunday you'll skip the fasted cardio,  but still do one round of p90x between each meal.  And for shits and giggles maybe throw on a 40# backpack intermittently throughout the week.  You'll be lean and mean,  probably like that pic of fight club.  Basic training is set up to take a teenager and show them just what they're capable of.

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:13:14 PM »
Then you were a fatass and had to join porkchop platoon.  That's were you get to skip lunch and get in another session of PT.  There are no fatasses in the Marines.

Lolz,  they called it restriction where I was at. Hot line only. Add a salad with no toppings or dressing was allowed as well.  No dessert or caloric beverage.  Black coffee was it besides water.

If you failed requirements entering the course(over by less than 10%),  which was 2-4 weeks long, very few passed at the end and failed the whole training course on that alone.  Kinda sad.

But very true about no fatass marines(at least the career marines). Special breed they are.  Something about their training really sticks with them for life.

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
The most common way for Marines to get out of their contract if they had enough was to "eat their way out".  I've seen it happen more times than I liked.  One was a good Marine too and it killed me to see him do it to himself.  He never admitted it was purposeful but there's no way to not lose weight when on restriction and added PT.

:rofl:  Notice that's a Marine taking that picture   :bigthumb:

Online Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 11:27:25 PM »
I'd seen that pic in almost every office of an ex-marine that reinlisted to the army cause there ain't much opportunity to make a career in the marines.  Plenty of jobs in the army, but once a marine, always a marine.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:27:38 AM »
Thank you for that write-up, informative.

My friend is pretty bulked up, so it's probably on his own time. My endurance training hunch was correct!