Author Topic: Failed on 5x5 yesterday  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Cali

• Matt
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 195
Failed on 5x5 yesterday
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
Yesterday, I had a SL 5x5 workout of squat, deadlift, and OHP.
I could barely do a single set of OHP and squatting anywhere near my last weight was impossible. I gave up on them since I was SO sore from the previous workout, the weight wouldn't simply go up. I was considering deloading but I was afraid of hurting myself even more. I took the day to do calisthenics. I managed to do a single set of squats and I did my deadlift requirement somehow. My inner legs were killing me, and my upper shoulders are tender beyond belief. I thought it was just DOMS acting up, but I can usually power through DOMS. Any ideas? Did I do the right thing by stopping and going light? Do I just go back to the normal weight at the next workout?

thank you
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
Re: Failed on 5x5 yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
You are new to lifting right? I suspect you may not be ready for 5x5, that's just a guess though.

If you're sore beyond belief you need to get some blood in there but do not hit that area heavy again until that pain subsides substantially.
Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »
You are new to lifting right? I suspect you may not be ready for 5x5, that's just a guess though.

If you're sore beyond belief you need to get some blood in there but do not hit that area heavy again until that pain subsides substantially.

I've been lifting for several months now, just not on 5x5. I've been doing SL since the end of September/beginning of October and it's been just fine. I was sore the first 2 days or so but it was just DOMS from doing new lifts.

I wasn't initially failing at all, for several weeks. Now, I've started to fail since the weight's drastically increased. I can usually keep up with the squats and the deadlifts just fine, but I fail the most on the bench. Yesterday was the first time I failed on the OHP and squats, but I could deadlift- surprisingly.

It wasn't that the weight was too much for me to handle, since I did the same thing two days prior. My body was just struggling for some reason, even with an empty barbell bench. What gives? :/
EVERYTHING you put in your body matters IF you want to reach your maximum potential.

Offline peacesells

• Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
I would bet big money you arent eating enough.  Doing SL and eating enough yiu should be gaining several pounds aweek. 

Drink a gallon of milk everyday and get 3 solid meals in. 

Eat more than you think you should or think is possible.

Offline Cali

• Matt
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:39 AM »
I would bet big money you arent eating enough.  Doing SL and eating enough yiu should be gaining several pounds aweek. 

Drink a gallon of milk everyday and get 3 solid meals in. 

Eat more than you think you should or think is possible.

Isn't GOMAD too much?
I'd hate to get needlessly fat and have to resort to a drastic cut again :(

Offline peacesells

• Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:33:51 AM »
Not at your age as long as you are doing SL.  Yes you'll gain some fat but a lot of muscle.  If you want to get stronger you have to feed the monster.